Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Need Help With System Recovery After HD Errors Post 302992708 by jgt on Tuesday 28th of February 2017 08:02:48 PM
Old 02-28-2017
The boot file system is EAFS, the root and any other (/u) file systems default to HTFS.
You cannot re-size an HTFS partition without losing the data that is on it. So you will not be able to add the /u file system without doing a full backup and standalone restore.
From an operational point of view, it will make no difference if /u is a file system, or simply another directory in the root file system.
If you must, do a full backup, boot from the Edge recovery media, re-size the partitions, and do full restore.

---------- Post updated at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:20 PM ----------

I now what happened. When you restored the old data, you restored /etc/default/filesys, which has the file system configuration. Unfortunately the one that has been restored contains info on /u but that file system no longer exists.
Just use a text editor and remove the references to /u.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Automatic system recovery?

Hi all! I've a strange problem. I would use the GNU Make tool on HPUX 11.11. To archive this, i have compiled the sourcecode and renamed HP make in /usr/bin from make to make_old. Now i have make a softlink from /usr/local/bin/make (GNU version) to /usr/bin/make. All things here are ok, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coredump2003
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

3. AIX

make a recovery CD/DVD - system has no writable devices

Hi, Has anyone please got some advise as to how I can make a CD/DVD on an AIX 5.3 system so that it can be fully recoverd just by inserting the backed up system. The system that I need to recover has no writable devices, not even a tape drive (it wasn't specified by me btw). I am trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevek007
0 Replies

4. AIX

System recovery

Hi everyone I'm green AIX user or rather beginner (light green). Unfortunately I have to restore my system + data from scratch (things happen) and make it up and running. I've never done it before. Can someone of you provide me with link/procedure/instruction how to do it? Now I know only:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fraydey
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux system recovery after overriding connect() by "ld.so.preload"

dear fellows; i have used ld.so.preload file to override connect() function, dynamic library overriding, it did worked really fine ...... but i went on to struck in a situation ... within the overrided connect() i have used printf once to see IP and Port to whom the connect request is being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzeeshan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fsck.gfs2 outputs "RG recovery impossible; I can't fix this file system"

I have a CentOS release 5.2 (Final)host running kernel 2.6.18-92.el5 with at raid 10 that had two mirrored drives fail. The drives were re-inserted and now the raid shows healthy (for now). I tried to mount but got an Input/output error. I then attempted a fsck: fsck.gfs2 -y /dev/vg_01/uss_vol... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: king_hippo
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Linux system hangs giving ntp errors

Hi folks, I am facing issue of my system (host1) getting hanged after throwing following ntpd messages. I am not able to ssh to the server there after. only option is to restart the host: Dec 29 02:58:51 host1 ntpd: time reset -0.207907 s Dec 29 02:58:51 host1 ntpd: synchronisation lost Dec 29... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SiddhV
0 Replies
BOOTCDBACKUP(1) 						   bootcd utils 						   BOOTCDBACKUP(1)

NAME
bootcdbackup - create a bootable offline backup of a unix system SYNOPSIS
bootcdbackup [-i] [-v] [-s] [-c <config directory>] [-url <url] [-nomount] [-2diskconf <file>] <dev> <name> <builddir> DESCRIPTION
bootcdbackup creates a offline backup from a installed system. You need a running bootcd to boot the system with. This CD/DVD is booted on the system and bootcdbackup creates a bootable CD/DVD with the bootcd kernel and the backup disk as tar-file. To restore or clone the system, boot the CD/DVD image and install it with bootcd2disk -c <name> on the system. bootcdbackup can try to discover the disk partition by searching for fstab on the given partition. A other way to backup the partition ta- ble is the program bootcdmk2diskconf which creates a configuration file on a running system. OPTIONS
-i The bootcdbackup runs in interactive mode and you can run each function manually. This option is useful for debugging. -v The option "-v" (verbose) adds messages on running. -s This option can be used to disable interactive questions and to try to ignore errors. -c <config directory> The configuration directory which includes the file "bootcdbackup.conf", default is "/etc/bootcd". -url <url> If bootcdbackup is slow on your system (because of a slow CD/DVD drive or the HP ILO virtual CD interface), you can use an image server to get the image from. bootcdbackup use the SWAP partition of your upcoming system as temporary space and copy the image from the configured image server to this partition and use it as image. The image server url is configured with this option. -nomount The target disk should not be mounted and no search for fstab is done. --cpio Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of cpio can be forced. --star Normally as backup tool star will be used if selinux files have to be backed up and cpio will be used if not. With this option the usage of star can be forced. -2diskconf <file> The parameter configures a bootcd2disk.conf for the restore of the system done by bootcd2disk. The configuration file can be created with the command bootcdmk2diskconf. <dev> Configures the device where bootcdbackup finds the file "fstab" and discover the configuration for the restore. <name> The name of the backup (no blanks!) is used on the creation time and to restore the backup with bootcd2disk -c <name>. <builddir> Builddir is an directory on the backup system where bootcdbackup build the backup CD/DVD. Space for the CD/DVD image, for compression and the data is needed! All other configuration has to be done in the config files. FILES
/etc/bootcd/bootcdbackup.conf Configuration for bootcdbackup. SEE ALSO
Documentation in bootcdbackup.conf bootcdbackup.conf(5), bootcd(1), bootcdflopcp(1), bootcdwrite(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bernd Schumacher <bernd.schumacher@hp.com> and Carsten Dinkelmann <Carsten.Dinkelmann@foobar-cpa.de> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). bootcdbackup 2007-07-05 BOOTCDBACKUP(1)