Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Trim trailing spaces from file Post 302992617 by Aia on Monday 27th of February 2017 07:10:55 PM
Old 02-27-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshari8888
I have a file like this.
Code:
hari,corporationbank,2234356,syndicate                                      
ravi,indian bank,4567900000000,indianbank,accese                
raju,statebank of hyderabad,565866666666666,pause

Here each record has different record length and there are blank spaces
after each record. How to remove the blank spaces after each record.
Please, try the following:
Code:
perl -ple 's/\s+$//' infile > outfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing trailing spaces of a particular column in a file

Hi, I am currently confused. Suppose I have a file something like the one below. 4299|raj Telecommunications|12||||| 4302|anjali International Ltd.|86|ritchie||dong|(000)2890 9993 |(222)4881 3689 4305|フィデュシアリ・ト-スト・インター...ショ...ル投資顧問株式会社 |112||||01-9211-1931 |08-3677-1985 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Trailing Spaces to a file

I have a text file which is not fixed width. I want to put trailing spaces to each line and make it a 100 byte fixed width file. Can someone please help me as soon as possible? Thanks, Denis (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 222001459
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim trailing spaces from each line in a file

Hello folks, Is there a simple way to trim trailing spaces from each line a file. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TRIM spaces in shell

am get a value like ' 15' in a variable what is the easiest method i can follow to strip 15 out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anumkoshy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in a file

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. Need some help in the following requirement: I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kishna kerry Now each row in the file has value for 4 columns with "~" as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove trailing spaces from file

I'm currently writing my sql results to a file and they have trailing spaces after each field. I want to get rid of these spaces and I'm using this code: TVXTEMP=$(echo $TVXTEMP|sed -e 's/\ //g') It doesn't work though. I'm not familiar with sedscript, and the other codes I've found online... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avillanueva
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add trailing spaces to have file with lines of the same length?

I have textfile (source.txt) with different length of lines in it. Can anybody help to compose a script under bash which would add suitable number of trailing spaces to the end of each line so that after the processing the each line would have the same (let's say 100 char) length? Output can be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameucho
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim spaces

All, i am comparing the output of one command to a numberic if ] but my problem is the output of follwoing is but but has some leading columns. I don't have any problme in LINUX and HP-UX. But only in AIX i am getting the leading spaces. I have developed my script on LINUX but when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcc50886
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)