Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find pattern; grep n lines before and after Post 302992484 by Don Cragun on Sunday 26th of February 2017 03:11:55 AM
Old 02-26-2017
Please explain to us what you are trying to do. If you are going to use awk, there is probably no need to also use ex, cut, and two invocations of sed. I'm almost positive that the REs you are using in your search patterns are not doing what you think they are doing (and could match strings that you don't intend for them to match).

An immediate problem is that shell variables are not expanded inside single quoted strings. You could try, using double quotes (") instead of single quotes (') around the operand in the last sed invocation in your command line and it might work; but unless you intend for all of the <period>s in your REs to match any character (not just a <period>), your command line might not work reliably.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to grep (say)last-3 and next-3 lines of Desired Pattern

Hi All, OS-Type=Sun-OS 5.8 Sparc9 Processor Can I grep the previous 4 lines and next 4 lines of a matched pattern(context grep)? For example here we need to monitor logs of live traffic.The data obtained from "tail -f LiveTrafficData.log" looks something like this:-... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sujan Banerjee
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep with 8 lines before and after pattern.

OK. I have a file I'd like to be able to grep, but on top of returning the line where the pattern matches, I'd like to be able to get the previous 8 lines and the following 8 lines. Is there a way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl XML, find matching condition and grep lines and put the lines somewhere else

Hi, my xml files looks something like this <Instance Name="New York"> <Description></Description> <Instance Name="A"> <Description></Description> <PropertyValue Key="false" Name="Building A" /> </Instance> <Instance Name="B"> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep: get last 3 lines containing PATTERN from many files

Hi all, I am looking for a quick solution for this: I have many log files of an iterative program, and I would like to display the parameters of the last three iteration from each of those files. Relevant lines have the keyword: ITER I am using: tac ~/modeling*/fitting.log | grep -m 3 -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnemeth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines before a pattern having some other pattern

Hi All, I am trying to fetch lines before a pattern, I got to know about -B flag in grep but we have to pass the number to get those lines before some pattern say (X), now what if I want to get line/s with some other pattern say (Y) before X pattern? How to get about it? please help. Input:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep pattern only and surrounding lines

Hello, I am trying to grep search a pattern and a line before it. cat input >record1 hello1hello2hellonhello3 >record2 helloohello1hello2hello3 When I use, grep with -o option and either of -A/B/C options, I still can't see lines before or after the pattern. But the exact pattern is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep all lines with the pattern .sh

Linux version : Oracle Linux 6.5 Shell : bash In the the below text file (someString.text), I want to grep all lines with .sh in it. ie. Only the lines mysript.sh and anotherscript.sh should be returned. My below attempts failed. I gather that in regular expression world, dot (.) is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)