Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Determine threshold for CPU
Operating Systems AIX Determine threshold for CPU Post 302992361 by ttl_aix on Friday 24th of February 2017 07:16:24 AM
Old 02-24-2017
Determine threshold for CPU

I'm writing an application that should display whether a system is running “fine” (normal activity) or if it has reached a critical level and thus indicate through a graphical interface using a green-yellow-red color scheme. The server machines in question are running AIX (but it shouldn't differ much through various UNIX systems, though important to note it uses POWER). The solution will be applied on both single server machines with 100% (CPU) capacity and clusters which allow utilization of more than 100%.

I'm well aware that threshold like these are most commonly determined through a lot of trial & error and testing but I would like to come to a conclusion as to which would be the most appropriate threshold with some facts to back it up.

Which leads me to the following questions, how do I set these thresholds in a theoretical way? By thresholds I mean for example “should it turn red and alert with a critical warning at 90%, then how come?”, “Why not 85%?”.
There's also possible spikes in the CPU usage, so should it only indicate as critical after 2 minutes of usage above 85%?

My main question is: Are there any algorithms or past works that have done something similar? Any research papers or books that you know of? I've tried to research this a bit without much success, most of what I could find was related to the x86 architecture and not POWER. Even if the two architectures differ a bit, there's also many similarities so some methods may work with them both.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to determine cpu&memory percentage usage per user

Using HP-UX v11 Need to monitor cpu and memory usage, total for system and separately for each user in command-line mode. Found out next ways to monitor total cpu usage under hp-ux: 1) vmstat, also shows free memory 2) sar -M ps -eo user,pcpu - does not work, means 'user-defined format'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hp-ux-user
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

apache threshold

Hi folks, how can i check apache threshold values via shell scripting and what factors need to check via shell scripting process or number of users or what. pls do advice me. Thanks, Bash (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

how could I use shell script to determine which CPU structure

how could I use shell script to determine which CPU structure because I found that I compile my program under Itanium base that cannot run on the PA-RISC base but PA-RISC program can run on Itanium base i would like to use shell script to know which CPU structure it is,how could i do thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to change CPU threshold high temperature

Hi, I have a NETRA 240 server wich should work on high temperature environment (up to 50 deg celsius). After reaching ~48 deg, the system is shuting down. The HighShutDownThreshold of the CPU is set to 89 deg The PowerOffThreshold of the CPU is set to 96 deg Please help me to change these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danielz
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

threshold

Hi, I have a table with 14 columns. How can I filter the columns 2-14, so that I get only those rows back in which the data values are >= 6 in 5 or more columns. :confused: E.g. A 6 6 3 6 7 8 B 1 2 3 4 5 5 C 2 2 2 6 7 8 Here I should only get back the row A. I would like to work from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Rootvol above threshold

Hi there, Root filesystem is above threshold, I have search and cleared unwanted files which are filling up space. But the root fs is still above threshold. I don't know about veritas volume management. Can anyone show me how to solve this. Du shows /proc is occupying a lot of space. Most of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to combine multiple CPU to act as a single CPU on the same server?

We have a single threaded application which is restricted by CPU usage even though there are multiple CPUs on the server, hence leading to significant performance issues. Is it possible to merge / combine multiple CPUs at OS level so it appear as a single CPU for the application? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dissa
6 Replies
CRITICAL_ENTER(9)					   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					 CRITICAL_ENTER(9)

NAME
critical_enter, critical_exit -- enter and exit a critical region SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/systm.h> void critical_enter(void); void critical_exit(void); DESCRIPTION
These functions are used to prevent preemption in a critical region of code. All that is guaranteed is that the thread currently executing on a CPU will not be preempted. Specifically, a thread in a critical region will not migrate to another CPU while it is in a critical region. The current CPU may still trigger faults and exceptions during a critical section; however, these faults are usually fatal. The critical_enter() and critical_exit() functions manage a per-thread counter to handle nested critical sections. If a thread is made runnable that would normally preempt the current thread while the current thread is in a critical section, then the preemption will be deferred until the current thread exits the outermost critical section. Note that these functions are not required to provide any inter-CPU synchronization, data protection, or memory ordering guarantees and thus should not be used to protect shared data structures. These functions should be used with care as an infinite loop within a critical region will deadlock the CPU. Also, they should not be inter- locked with operations on mutexes, sx locks, semaphores, or other synchronization primitives. One exception to this is that spin mutexes include a critical section, so in certain cases critical sections may be interlocked with spin mutexes. HISTORY
These functions were introduced in FreeBSD 5.0. BSD
October 5, 2005 BSD