Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String operation in csh AIX 4.3.2.0 Post 302992244 by Nadielosabra on Thursday 23rd of February 2017 09:18:50 AM
Old 02-23-2017
Hi Corona688,

thanks a lot for your help and Support,

Yes you are right the same string was in the other thread and your solution works perfect .
the cut on the string has to done every Iteration the change of the bit only has to done depending on some condition.

But the solution for the cut does not works on my side

Code:
 awk '{ NF=6 } 1' FS=";" OFS=";" $PATH_FILE > $TEMP_FILE

both file are the same , any ides what could be wrong

thanks in advanced

Last edited by rbatte1; 02-24-2017 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Removed font formatting in CODE block

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 4.3 Openssh 3.7.1.0 Operation

I am new/just getting used to this group (Unix Forums), but did search around. I saw a listing for "openssh for AIX" in which a response indicated a link was posted in the original post, but I couldn't find that link or another "original post", so first, if someone could enlighten me why I couldn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripley
2 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.3 errpt full of message: DISK OPERATION ERROR

Hi All, Can anyone explain me the meanning of the following errors: LABEL: SC_DISK_ERR2 IDENTIFIER: B6267342 Description DISK OPERATION ERROR Probable Causes DASD DEVICE Failure Causes DISK DRIVE DISK DRIVE ELECTRONICS Recommended Actions PERFORM PROBLEM DETERMINATION... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gianlu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

string operation

Hi all, Here is my situation. I have a text file TXT_FILE like this: john 123456 jack 94589 kelvin 94595 mary 88585 I want to read the first word in each line ( the name ) and assign to a string variable ( EX_LIST ) in my script so that I can use later as this commandfor i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

string operation

i am new user of unix.i have a question.My script is- export STR_ALFA=`head -2 "${FILE_PATH}"|tail -1|cut -d"," -f1` "${TEST_HOME}"/function/chk_alfa.ksh STR_ALFA now i want to check STR_ALFA: 1)whether is alphabetic 2)whether is numeric 3)whether is alphanumeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string operation

i am new user of unix.i have a question.My script is- export STR_ALFA=`head -2 "${FILE_PATH}"|tail -1|cut -d"," -f1` "${TEST_HOME}"/function/chk_alfa.ksh STR_ALFA now i want to check STR_ALFA: 1)whether is alphabetic 2)whether is numeric 3)whether is alphanumeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string operation

I am trying to ask for full name in a script, Then echo back to the user with the surname only, omitting the first name. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orjnet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Search for string, then do string operation on line

Hi, I wish to find all lines that contain a specific search word, and then do few string operations on that line. The idea is to "fix" the file which has been moved from windows to unix. Using unix - Sun Solaris Test input ("t2.sas") statement1 statement2 libname yahoo ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepaksinbox
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Operation

/home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/file4 this is the path...i have 2 variables filename and filepath...i want filename=file4 filepath=/home8/mc09ats/UnixCw i.e. i think i have to find last occurence of "/" in string and the string after "/" want to take in some variable and string before last "/"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijitIT
4 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 6, operation on time in script

Hi I have a question, On linux (centos) I am executing a script: #!/bin/bash st1=`date "+%T"` SD=`date -u -d $st1 +"%s"` #some operations ... st2=`date "+%T"` FD=`date -u -d $st2 +"%s"` time_oper=`date -u -d "0 $FD sec - $SD sec" +"%H:%M:%S"` echo "Time script execution -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: primo102
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String operation in csh shell

Hi, to everybody i have a string which Looks like this FT47;3;1;1;;;1;09.02.2017 21:21:19;2;2 and i would like to change to value on one Position only e.g. the values on Position 6 should change to 1 nevertheyless which values was there before AIX 4.3.2.0 and csh i try... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadielosabra
10 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)