Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Does it make sense to reduce the total shared memory Post 302992234 by rbatte1 on Thursday 23rd of February 2017 07:04:51 AM
Old 02-23-2017
The database will have a configuration for memory that it requires to be real memory rather than being eligible to be swapped. If you exhaust real memory by having too much guaranteed as real memory for all the databases put together, then the server as a whole can suffer. If a general process requires some memory and there is very little swap-able available, then the new process will be almost permanently waiting for swap as it tries to perform whatever it needs.

You don't say what versions of Oracle you are using, but the principle is the same, although they may configure it in different ways.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to reduce GZIP memory usage

I am using the ZLIB_VERSION "1.2.3" . The memory requirement for Zlib/GZIP compression is stated as /* The memory requirements for deflate are (in bytes): (1 << (windowBits+2)) + (1 << (memLevel+9)) that is: 128K for windowBits=15 + 128K for memLevel = 8 (default values) ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parmod Garg
0 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

Rocks clusters make sense for educational environments

08-18-2008 11:00 AM Cluster computing has played a pivotal role in the way research is conducted in educational environments. Because the amount of available money and hardware varies between university researchers, often it's necessary to find a clustering solution that can work well on a small... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a for loop that doesn't make sense

I've been referring bash info for processes and came across a structure for a process which is defined like typedef struct process { struct process *next; char ** argv . . . }process; What I don't understand is that in the program there's a for loop which goes like this job... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdsd
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to make sense of rsync output...

I'm running the following rsync command to sync a directory between the 2 servers: rsync -az --delete --stats /some_dir/ server_name:/some_dir I'm getting the following output: Number of files: 655174 Number of files transferred: 14221 Total file size: 1138531979331 bytes Total... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sar -d output... does not make sense

Can someone explain the correlation between how sar names the disk drives and how the rest of the OS names the disk drives? sar lists my disk drives as sd0, sd1, sd2, etc..... while format lists my disk drives as c1t0d0, c1t1d0, c1t2d0,etc... And also why sar shows 8 disks but format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
2 Replies

8. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Root login in Linux - does it make sense?

I stumbled upon this thread and one aspect of it got me thinking. As i am building a small Linux network right now for a friend i would like to hear your opinion on this. I'd like to respectfully disagree. I think the Linux habit of disabling root login per default is wrong (not entirely... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
6 Replies

10. AIX

AIX flag to reduce size of shared file

I am using xlC (Version: 11.01.0000.0011). While build i am using "-g" to have debug information in build. there are many object files (>500) due to which resultant shared file (.so) will have huge size. I can't reduce optimization level. Is there any way or flag is present by using which i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhi04
2 Replies
MEMSTAT(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MEMSTAT(1)

NAME
memstat - Identify what's using up virtual memory. SYNOPSIS
memstat [-w][-p PID] DESCRIPTION
memstat lists all accessible processes, executables, and shared libraries that are using up virtual memory. To get a complete list memstat has to be run as root to be able to access the data of all running processes. First, the processes are listed. An amount of memory is shown along with a process ID and the name of the executable which the process is running. The amount of memory shown does not include shared memory: it only includes memory which is private to that process. So, if a process is using a shared library like libc, the memory used to hold that library is not included. The memory used to hold the exe- cutable's text-segment is also not included, since that too is shareable. After the processes, the shared objects are listed. The amount of memory is shown along with the filename of the shared object, followed by a list of the processes using the shared object. The memory is listed as the total amount of memory allocated to this object throughout the whole namespace. In brackets also the amount that is really shared is listed. Finally, a grand total is shown. Note that this program shows the amount of virtual (not real) memory used by the various items. memstat gets its input from the /proc filesystem. This must be compiled into your kernel and mounted for memstat to work. The pathnames shown next to the shared objects are determined by scanning the disk. memstat uses a configuration file, /etc/memstat.conf, to determine which directories to scan. This file should include all the major bin and lib directories in your system, as well as the /dev directory. If you run an executable which is not in one of these directories, it will be listed by memstat as ``[0dev]:<inode>''. Options The -w switch causes a wide printout: lines are not truncated at 80 columns. The -p switch causes memstat to only print data gathered from looking at the process with the gicen PID. NOTES
These reports are intended to help identify programs that are using an excessive amount of memory, and to reduce overall memory waste. FILES
/etc/memstat.conf /proc/*/maps SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), free(1), vmstat(8), lsof(8), /usr/share/doc/memstat/memstat-tutorial.txt.gz BUGS
memstat ignores all devices that just map main memory, though this may cause memstat to ignore some memory usage. Memory used by the kernel itself is not listed. AUTHOR
Originally written by Joshua Yelon <jyelon@uiuc.edu> and patched by Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@debian.org>. Taken over and rewritten by Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>. Debian 01 November 1998 MEMSTAT(1)