Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String operation in csh AIX 4.3.2.0 Post 302992158 by bakunin on Wednesday 22nd of February 2017 07:20:31 AM
Old 02-22-2017
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Sorry for moving around your thread, i wrongly thought it deals with the same problem as your other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadielosabra
The string should be cut always after the 7. delimiter even if there are no number between two delimiters like in sample 1 and 2 . That maybe the reason it doesnot works with the cut command.
This is actually exactly the way cut works:

Code:
# printf "\"%s\"\n" $(echo "1;2;3;;;6;7;8" | cut -d';' -f1)
"1"
# printf "\"%s\"\n" $(echo "1;2;3;;;6;7;8" | cut -d';' -f4)
""

You probably didn't interpret the returned empty string as a result, like i did above in the little proof of concept.

Anyway, i strongly suggest you stop using csh and start using a less bugridden shell. AIX 4.3.2 (you might want to consider updating this to 4.3.3 ML12 too) offers a ksh88 and a ksh93.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 02-22-2017 at 08:31 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 4.3 Openssh 3.7.1.0 Operation

I am new/just getting used to this group (Unix Forums), but did search around. I saw a listing for "openssh for AIX" in which a response indicated a link was posted in the original post, but I couldn't find that link or another "original post", so first, if someone could enlighten me why I couldn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripley
2 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.3 errpt full of message: DISK OPERATION ERROR

Hi All, Can anyone explain me the meanning of the following errors: LABEL: SC_DISK_ERR2 IDENTIFIER: B6267342 Description DISK OPERATION ERROR Probable Causes DASD DEVICE Failure Causes DISK DRIVE DISK DRIVE ELECTRONICS Recommended Actions PERFORM PROBLEM DETERMINATION... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gianlu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

string operation

Hi all, Here is my situation. I have a text file TXT_FILE like this: john 123456 jack 94589 kelvin 94595 mary 88585 I want to read the first word in each line ( the name ) and assign to a string variable ( EX_LIST ) in my script so that I can use later as this commandfor i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

string operation

i am new user of unix.i have a question.My script is- export STR_ALFA=`head -2 "${FILE_PATH}"|tail -1|cut -d"," -f1` "${TEST_HOME}"/function/chk_alfa.ksh STR_ALFA now i want to check STR_ALFA: 1)whether is alphabetic 2)whether is numeric 3)whether is alphanumeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string operation

i am new user of unix.i have a question.My script is- export STR_ALFA=`head -2 "${FILE_PATH}"|tail -1|cut -d"," -f1` "${TEST_HOME}"/function/chk_alfa.ksh STR_ALFA now i want to check STR_ALFA: 1)whether is alphabetic 2)whether is numeric 3)whether is alphanumeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string operation

I am trying to ask for full name in a script, Then echo back to the user with the surname only, omitting the first name. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orjnet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Search for string, then do string operation on line

Hi, I wish to find all lines that contain a specific search word, and then do few string operations on that line. The idea is to "fix" the file which has been moved from windows to unix. Using unix - Sun Solaris Test input ("t2.sas") statement1 statement2 libname yahoo ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepaksinbox
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Operation

/home8/mc09ats/UnixCw/file4 this is the path...i have 2 variables filename and filepath...i want filename=file4 filepath=/home8/mc09ats/UnixCw i.e. i think i have to find last occurence of "/" in string and the string after "/" want to take in some variable and string before last "/"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijitIT
4 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 6, operation on time in script

Hi I have a question, On linux (centos) I am executing a script: #!/bin/bash st1=`date "+%T"` SD=`date -u -d $st1 +"%s"` #some operations ... st2=`date "+%T"` FD=`date -u -d $st2 +"%s"` time_oper=`date -u -d "0 $FD sec - $SD sec" +"%H:%M:%S"` echo "Time script execution -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: primo102
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String operation in csh shell

Hi, to everybody i have a string which Looks like this FT47;3;1;1;;;1;09.02.2017 21:21:19;2;2 and i would like to change to value on one Position only e.g. the values on Position 6 should change to 1 nevertheyless which values was there before AIX 4.3.2.0 and csh i try... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadielosabra
10 Replies