Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Need Help With System Recovery After HD Errors Post 302992134 by spock9458 on Tuesday 21st of February 2017 10:26:30 PM
Old 02-21-2017
I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean to use a new SATA drive with the IDE adapter in the current server hardware? Then reinstall 5.0.6, then restore my backup from tape? I understand this thinking, because the current system has been compromised because of the lost sectors, but I'm just hoping I don't have trouble with the tape drive or the backup files. Let me know if this is what you are suggesting, and it seems like my best option. Thanks - Rob

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Automatic system recovery?

Hi all! I've a strange problem. I would use the GNU Make tool on HPUX 11.11. To archive this, i have compiled the sourcecode and renamed HP make in /usr/bin from make to make_old. Now i have make a softlink from /usr/local/bin/make (GNU version) to /usr/bin/make. All things here are ok, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coredump2003
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

3. AIX

make a recovery CD/DVD - system has no writable devices

Hi, Has anyone please got some advise as to how I can make a CD/DVD on an AIX 5.3 system so that it can be fully recoverd just by inserting the backed up system. The system that I need to recover has no writable devices, not even a tape drive (it wasn't specified by me btw). I am trying to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevek007
0 Replies

4. AIX

System recovery

Hi everyone I'm green AIX user or rather beginner (light green). Unfortunately I have to restore my system + data from scratch (things happen) and make it up and running. I've never done it before. Can someone of you provide me with link/procedure/instruction how to do it? Now I know only:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fraydey
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux system recovery after overriding connect() by "ld.so.preload"

dear fellows; i have used ld.so.preload file to override connect() function, dynamic library overriding, it did worked really fine ...... but i went on to struck in a situation ... within the overrided connect() i have used printf once to see IP and Port to whom the connect request is being... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzeeshan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fsck.gfs2 outputs "RG recovery impossible; I can't fix this file system"

I have a CentOS release 5.2 (Final)host running kernel 2.6.18-92.el5 with at raid 10 that had two mirrored drives fail. The drives were re-inserted and now the raid shows healthy (for now). I tried to mount but got an Input/output error. I then attempted a fsck: fsck.gfs2 -y /dev/vg_01/uss_vol... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: king_hippo
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Linux system hangs giving ntp errors

Hi folks, I am facing issue of my system (host1) getting hanged after throwing following ntpd messages. I am not able to ssh to the server there after. only option is to restart the host: Dec 29 02:58:51 host1 ntpd: time reset -0.207907 s Dec 29 02:58:51 host1 ntpd: synchronisation lost Dec 29... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SiddhV
0 Replies
BACKUP_STATUS(8)					       AFS Command Reference						  BACKUP_STATUS(8)

NAME
       backup_status - Reports a Tape Coordinator's status

SYNOPSIS
       backup status [-portoffset <TC port offset>]
	   [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help]

backup st [-p <TC port offset>]
	   [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The backup status command displays which operation, if any, the indicated Tape Coordinator is currently executing.

OPTIONS
       -portoffset <TC port offset>
	   Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator for which to report the status.

-localauth
	   Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to
	   the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more
	   details, see backup(8).

-cell <cell name>
	   Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8).

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

OUTPUT
       The following message indicates that the Tape Coordinator is not currently performing an operation:

Tape coordinator is idle

Otherwise, the output includes a message of the following format for each running or pending operation:

Task <task_ID>:  <operation>:   <status>

where

<task_ID>
	   Is a task identification number assigned by the Tape Coordinator.  It begins with the Tape Coordinator's port offset number.

<operation>
	   Identifies the operation the Tape Coordinator is performing, which is initiated by the indicated command:

Dump
	       The backup dump command.

Restore
	       The backup diskrestore, backup volrestore, or backup volsetrestore commands.

Labeltape
	       The backup labeltape command.

Scantape
	       The backup scantape command.

SaveDb
	       The backup savedb command.

RestoreDb
	       The backup restoredb command.

<status>
	   Indicates the job's current status in one of the following messages.

number Kbytes transferred, volume volume_name
	       For a running dump operation, indicates the number of kilobytes copied to tape or a backup data file so far, and the volume
	       currently being dumped.

number Kbytes, restore.volume
	       For a running restore operation, indicates the number of kilobytes copied into AFS from a tape or a backup data file so far.

[abort requested]
	       The backup kill command was issued, but the termination signal has yet to reach the Tape Coordinator.

[abort sent]
	       The operation is canceled by the backup kill command.  Once the Backup System removes an operation from the queue or stops it from
	       running, it no longer appears at all in the output from the command.

[butc contact lost]
	       The backup command interpreter cannot reach the Tape Coordinator. The message can mean either that the Tape Coordinator handling
	       the operation was terminated or failed while the operation was running, or that the connection to the Tape Coordinator timed out.

[done]
	       The Tape Coordinator has finished the operation.

[drive wait]
	       The operation is waiting for the specified tape drive to become free.

[operator wait]
	       The Tape Coordinator is waiting for the backup operator to insert a tape in the drive.

If the Tape Coordinator is communicating with an XBSA server (a third-party backup utility that implements the Open Group's Backup Service
       API [XBSA]), the following message appears last in the output:

<XBSA_program> Tape coordinator

where <XBSA_program> is the name of the XBSA-compliant program.

EXAMPLES
       The following example shows that the Tape Coordinator with port offset 4 has so far dumped about 1.5 MB of data for the current dump
       operation, and is currently dumping the volume named "user.pat.backup":

% backup status -portoffset 4
	  Task 4001:  Dump:   1520 Kbytes transferred,	volume user.pat.backup

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged
       onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included.

SEE ALSO
       backup(8), butc(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							  BACKUP_STATUS(8)