Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A script to change password for all other servers Post 302992104 by Hiroshi on Tuesday 21st of February 2017 03:29:04 PM
Old 02-21-2017
Yeah, I'm running it exactly like that,

root@testserver1# ./pwchange.sh pwchange.dat

and my pwchange.dat is formatted as follows:

Code:
server1
server2
server3
server4
server5

With the while loop, it did read the pwchange.dat file, but it only changed the password for one server. And I got the prompt back.
With the for loop, ctrl-D does nothing, but ctrl-C breaks out of the script and give me the prompt back w/o doing anything.

Also, my environment is a mix of Solaris 10 and Linux (RHEL & SUSE). My script with the while loop does change one password, it changes either Solaris or Linux server. So, looks like the ssh & passwd commands are both OK.

Last edited by rbatte1; 02-22-2017 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to script to logon servers using id and password

Hey.. I am new in scripting.. I know a little bit of scripting.. I am facing some problem.. I need to create a script using which I may log on to a server (e.g. ftp) with ID and password.. thus copy a particular file to a local dir.. the commands required to do that I do know.. I am able to do it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razeeev
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers

I am trying to write a script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers. My environment runs purely ssh / scp not rsh / rcp and therefore coping using rcp is not an option. I have been playing with expect to perform tasks but think there must be a better way. Has anyone got... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stolz
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Change password of linux servers remotely

Hi, I am very bad at scripting. I need help from scripting experts... I need to change password of around 100 linux remote servers. I have been given a script for changing the password that automates the task. however I do not understand the usage and meaning of the script, the script is an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuka
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script:Change password on 1000+ servers

Hello Folks Scenario : I have a linux box (expect tool installed) which connects to 1000+ other boxes (either Solaris or AIX or Linux ) with a specific id and password using SSH. I now wish to write a script (Shell and/or expect and/or Python) which will change this existing password to a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ak835
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Change passwd for bulk servers using SSH script

Hi, I need to Change passwd for bulk servers using SSH script. I have one server, from which i can reach all the servers without password via SSH. There is some expect script, from which i can achieve it. Can any one help me out here. Thanks in advance. Vicky (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to change the password on multiple servers in linux

Can any one please let me know the shell script to change the password for a particular user on multiple linux servers. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_madras
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for login to servers with user name and password and execute commands

I am having the 15 servers which need to do the monitoring Hi I need a shell script, By which i can log in to multiple servers and execute the commands.. I need to specify the username and password in the scripts. Please help me to write the script so that it can login with username and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nandan8a
5 Replies

9. AIX

How to write a script to run without password on a batch of servers?

I need run a command such as ps -ef |grep xxx on a batch of servers, how to write a script to run it without password? don't need go in each server to check? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to set user password to never expire in UNIX servers

Hi, I have a requirement where in i need to write a shell script to set users password to never expire. I know the command which is used to perform the same .. which is chage command. But, could not figure out how to do the same in shell script. Could you please help me with the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suren424
3 Replies
ntp.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						       ntp.conf(5)

Name
       ntp.conf - Network Time Protocol configuration file

Description
       The  file  is the configuration file for the Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon, This file must be configured on your system before running
       Any host names that you specify in the file must have an entry in the file, or an entry in the master database, if the  database  is  being
       served to your system by BIND/Hesiod or Yellow Pages.

The file has four entry formats:

trusting no
	    This entry guarantees that your system synchronizes only to the NTP servers identified in the peer and server entries specified.  Dig-
	    ital recommends that all systems include the entry.

peer server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	 Your  system  may  also  provide time synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP servers should be configured with entries.

server server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	Your  system  can  not	provide  time  synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP clients should be configured with entries.

peer   /dev/null       LOCL    1       -5      local
	    This entry identifies your system as a local reference clock.  A local reference clock is the most accurate system clock available	at
	    your  site.   If you receive time synchronization from the Internet NTP service, you should not include this entry on any of your sys-
	    tems.  At most, one system in a set of nodes running should be identified as a local reference clock.

A host which specifies this entry should not specify any or entries.

Examples
       This is a sample configuration file for an NTP client which receives time synchronization from the NTP servers: and Lines beginning with  a
       number sign (#) are comments.
       #
       #	       NTP  Configuration File
       #	This file is mandatory for the ntpd daemon
       #
       #
       #
       #   **  A L L  **
       #
       #  "trusting no" prevents this host from synchronizing
       #   to any host that is not listed below.  It is recommended
       #   that all hosts include the line "trusting no".
       #
       trusting no
       #
       #
       #    **	S E R V E R  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a server, use "peer" entries to
       #  synchronize to other NTP servers.  For example, server1,
       #  server2, and server3.
       #
       #peer	      server1
       #peer	      server2
       #peer	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	C L I E N T  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a client, use "server" entries to
       #  synchronize to NTP servers.  For example, server1, server2,
       #  and server3.
       #
       server	      server1
       server	      server2
       server	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	L O C A L   R E F E R E N C E	C L O C K  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a local reference clock, include the
       #  following entry and the "trusting no" entry ONLY.
       #
       #peer	 /dev/null LOCL 1    -5   local
       #

See Also
       ntp(1), ntpd(8), ntpdc(8)
       RFC 1129--Internet time synchronization:  The Network Time Protocol
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

ntp.conf(5)