Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare the system date with date from a text file Post 302992004 by Loc on Monday 20th of February 2017 01:48:04 PM
Old 02-20-2017
Compare the system date with date from a text file

I get the date that's inside a text file and assigned it to a variable. When I grep the date from the file, I get this,
Code:
Not After : Jul 28 14:09:57 2017 GMT

So I only crop out the date, with this command
Code:
echo $dateFile | cut -d ':' -f 2,4

The result would be
Code:
Jul 28 14:57 2017 GMT

How do I convert this date to the number of seconds, so I can compare it to the system date? If it is over 2 days old.
I have this code but it doesn't work. I'm getting an error message when I ran it. I think its because $dateFile is a text file and it doesn't know how to convert it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Code:

#!/bin/bash
 $dateFile=grep "After :" myfile.txt | cut -d ':' -f 2,4
 AGE_OF_MONTH="172800" # 172800 seconds  = 2 Days
NOW=$( date +%s )
NEW_DATE=$(( NOW - AGE_OF_MONTH ))
 if [ $( stat -c %Y "$dateFile" ) -gt ${NEW_DATE} ]; then
   echo Date Less then 2 days
else
   echo Date Greater then 2 days
fi

Last edited by rbatte1; 02-21-2017 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Changed bold text to CODE for file contents

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare today's date with date in a file

Hi I am very new to scripting, Can someone show me how to (in unix shell script) compare the system's date with a date in a file. The requirement is to somehow open this file (which will only have a date in it) and compare it with today's date. If they are equal execute a procedure below but if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siog
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare date with date in file

Hello everyone, I'm in desperate need of your help for this challenge I have below: The run_dt_tbl has only 1 column and 1 row that contains a particular date in format mmddyy. I want to some how compare today's date with the date in this table that will be preset by someone else. If the dates... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siog
2 Replies

3. Linux

compare files in the system with last modified date

HI, I have some files in my Linux machine that are very old and occupy a HUGe amount of space. I am trying to delete these files from the system so that it will be easy for me to add some files. I would like to know if this can done through a Perl or a shell script. What i want to do is i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare date from db2 table to yesterday's Unix system date

I am currently running the following Korn shell script which works fine: #!/usr/bin/ksh count=`db2 -x "select count(*) from schema.tablename"` echo "count" I would like to add a "where" clause to the 2nd line that would allow me to get a record count of all the records from schema.tablename... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasaliasim
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete a row from a file if one column containing a date is greater than the current system date

Hello gurus, I am hoping someone can help me with the required code/script to make this work. I have the following file with records starting at line 4: NETW~US60~000000000013220694~002~~IT~USD~2.24~20110201~99991231~01~01~20101104~... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chumsky
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh compare dates INSIDE a file (ie date A is > date B)

In KSH, I am pasting 2 almost identical files together and each one has a date and time on each line. I need to determine if the first instance of the date/time is greater than the 2nd instance of the date/time. If the first instance is greater, I just need to echo that line. I thought I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding days to system date then compare to a date

Hi! I am trying to read a file and every line has a specific date as one of its fields. I want to take that date and compare it to the date today plus 6 days. while read line do date=substr($line, $datepos, 8) #date is expected to be YYYYMMDD if ; then ...proceed commands ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kokoro
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

Can someone help me with the code wherein there is a file f1.txt with different column and 34 column have expiry date and I need to get that and compare with system date and if expiry date is <system date remove those rows and other rows should be moved to new file f2.txt . I don't want to delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuti
2 Replies

9. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Compare date in .txt with system date and remove if it's lesser than system date

I m working on shell scripting and I m stuck where in my .txt file there is column as expiry date and I need to compare that date with system date and need to remove all the rows where expiry date is less than system date and create a new .txt with update. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stuti
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

“sed” replace date in text file with current date

We want to call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ Code: line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to write a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)