Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers scp of multiple files to remote server Post 302991941 by drysdalk on Sunday 19th of February 2017 04:57:10 AM
Old 02-19-2017
Hi,

As an aside from the actual script: is it possible you could use SSH key-based authentication, rather than passwords ? This would enable you to connect without having to supply a password, with authentication taking place by means of a key exchange. This way you could transfer as many files as you liked as often as you liked without having to type in anything (though doing it in as few transfers as possible as per the solution you've been given is definitely a better way to go regardless).

If the source and destination servers are running OpenSSH, then the idea is that you would first generate a DSA or RSA public key for yourself. You might in fact find that you've got one or both of these already, stored as '.ssh/id_dsa.pub' or '.ssh/id_rsa.pub' underneath your home directory. Next, you must add the contents of your public key file to '.ssh/authorized_keys' in the home directory of the receiving account on the destination server.

After doing that you should be able to log in without being prompted for a password at all, so long as the permissions on all appropriate files and directories are secure enough at both ends. Essentially they must be accessible only by the user to whom the account belongs, more or less. Just a thought, if that's an option for you.
This User Gave Thanks to drysdalk For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP multiple files from remote server to local server

Hi, I am facing a weired problem in my FTP script. I want to transfer multiple files from remote server to local server everyday, using mget * in my script. I also, want to send an email for successful or failed FTP. My script works for file transfer, but it don't send any mail. There is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SCP multiple files

Hi , I am doing SCP for copying log files from different server(around 24 server) I need to copy these bulk logfiles every 15 min. How can i do multiple SCP at the same time? My current code is like this scp $CUSTCARE_USER@$CUSTCARE_SERVER:$CUSTCARE_HOME/$CUSTCARE_LOG.*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpio
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp multiple files

Hi, I'm new to Linux. I would like to know how to scp a group of files. I have the below command, but it asks for remote password while sending each file. Is there a way to send all files (identified by - $ ls | grep '.*hrs0314a.*' | xargs -I {} grep -l '.*35663.*' {}) in one go? $ ls |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: don_tom
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp'ing multiple files to the remote server

unix shell script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp or rsync multiple files in parallel from a remote host

Hi. I'm trying to speed up an rsync command by running it in parallel. There's no real option for this other than if the files are in multiple directories (which they're not). And even then there's no way of knowing if rsync has succeeded as the process is running in the background .. and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Big_Jeffrey
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp files that are 3 days older from remote server-

hello, i am trying to get a list of files to be scped from the remote server by running the below in my local unix server ( note - there is a passwordless connectivity setup made between the local and remote server) and, we use KSH. --- ssh $scp_host "find /a/b/c/*/ -iname "$remote_file"" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
4 Replies

7. Solaris

scp multiple files without pattern on Solaris

I need to transfer multiple files using scp between two solaris machines. I could not use pattern since they match with other files in the same directory. I tried the below command, it does not copy any files. $ scp -p user@machine1:/home/fid1/staging/\{a.ksh,b.ksh,c.ksh,d.ksh\} . But... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marecar
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename (move) multiple files on remote server using sftp

I want to rename (move) multiple files on remote server. I tried the following command to move all TXT files from my_dir directory to /new_dir. But it does not work. Any help? #!/bin/ksh sftp -dev3 << ABC cd my_dir $(for i in TXT; do echo "ls *.$i" ; rename $x /new_dir/$x;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Soham
1 Replies
BACKUP-MANAGER-UPLOAD(8)				       backup-manager-upload					  BACKUP-MANAGER-UPLOAD(8)

NAME
backup-manager-upload - Multiprotocol uploader for backup-manager. SYNOPSIS
backup-manager-upload [options] date DESCRIPTION
backup-manager-upload will upload all the archives generated on the given date to the specified host with either ftp or scp. It's also possible to use this program for uploading data to an Amazon S3 account. Some metadates are available like "today" or "yesterday". REQUIRED ARGS
--mode=transfer-mode Select the transfer mode to use : ftp, scp, or s3. --host=hostname1,hostname2,...,hostnameN Select a list of remote hosts to connect to. --user=username Select the user to use for connection. OPTIONAL ARGS
--password=password Select the ftp user's password (only needed for ftp transfers). --key=path_to_private_key Select the ssh private key file to use when opening the ssh session for scp transfer. Obviously, this is only needed for scp transfer mode. If you don't specify a key file, the user's default private key will be used. --directory=directory Select the location on the remote host where files will be uploaded. Default is /backup/uploads. --bucket=bucket Sets the bucket name for the Amazon S3 service backup into. --root=directory Select the local directory where files are. Default is /var/archives --gpg-recipient=gpg-recipient Select the gpg public key for encryptiong the archives when uploading with the method ssh-gpg. This can be a short or long key id or a descriptive name. The precise syntax is described in the gpg man page. --list Just list the files to upload. --ftp-purge Purge the remote directory before uploading files in FTP mode. --s3-purge Purge the remote directory before uploading files in FTP mode. --ssh-purge Purge the remote directory before uploading files in SSH mode. --verbose Flag to enable verbose mode. date Date pattern to select some files to upload, can be a valid date (YYYYMMDD) or 'today' or 'yesterday'. ERROR CODES
If something goes wrong during an upload, backup-manager-upload will exit with a non null value. In such a case every error messages are sent to STDERR. Here are the possible error codes: bad command line (wrong arguments) : 10 FTP transfer failure : 20 SCP transfer failure : 21 S3 transfer failure : 22 Unknown upload method: 23 SEE ALSO
backup-manager(3) AUTHORS
Alexis Sukrieh - main code and design Brad Dixon - Amazon S3 upload method Jan Metzger - ssh-gpg upload method perl v5.14.2 2012-05-09 BACKUP-MANAGER-UPLOAD(8)