Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check specific content from log file Post 302991605 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 14th of February 2017 11:56:03 AM
Old 02-14-2017
Which OS and version are you using? The output from uname -a would be very helpful.

You might find that tail has a -F flag in your version. have a look in the man page and see if it is supported.

I hope that this helps,
Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

find for specific content in file in the directory and list only file names

Hi, I am trying to find the content of file using grep and find command and list only the file names but i am getting entire file list of files in the directory find . -exec grep "test" {} \; -ls Can anyone of you correct this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_Jagarapu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check the content of one file in another

Hi , I have a file called "X" . the content of X are X -- abc def and i have a file called "Y" , the content of Y are Y -- erty sdss s abc sfs def I need to check if the content of file X is contained in Y.Only unix (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove specific content in a file

Hi, I have a file called fl_list consists of files i have to archive. I want to create a exception parm called except_parm, so if it finds the directory it will not archive these files and remove from fl_list. $ cat fl_list /apps/dev/ihub/ready/IA003B/IA003B_Deal_Header_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k9cheung
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific content from a file

My input file: >sequence_1 ASSSSSSSSSSSDDDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCC ASDSFDFFDFDFFWERERERERFSDFESFSFD >sequence_2 ASDFDFDFFDDFFDFDSFDSFDFSDFSDFDSFASDSADSADASD ASDFFDFDFASFASFASFAFSFFSDASFASFASFAFS >sequence_3 VEDFGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDG dDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDF SDGFDGSFDGSGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDG My... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
22 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to print the file content from the specific line

Hi All, I would like to print the content from the specific line of a file . For example... i have file abc.txt which has 100 lines of code ,from this file i would like to print the content from 20,19,18th line......like that Regards Srikanth (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthg
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file content into specific folders

Hi I have a large text file and I want to split its content into multiple flies. this large file contains several blocks of codes separated by a comment line for each block. this comment line represents a directory path So, when separate these blocks each into a separate file, This output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: turki_00
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting content from a file in specific format

Hi All, I have the file in this format **** Results Data **** Time or Step 1 2 20 0.000000000e+00 0s 0s 0s 1.024000000e+00 Us 0s 0s 1.100000000e+00 1s 0s 0s 1.100000001e+00 1s 0s 1s 2.024000000e+00 Us Us 1s 2.024000001e+00 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to search some content of the file with specific to user

I have some users in one unix system and i want to search some files with specific to user and then i want to find some content inside that file so can u help me how we can implement it? File location is as below. /pools/home_unix/cmadireddy/work/models/model/ cmadireddy is user name. now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathigara
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check content of file

Hi All, I m very new to unix...i jus want to chk the content of file. ma requirement is if file has a content then display it else dont display or something pls specify which loop shalli use either for or while?? (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: navsan
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Content merging at a specific location in a file

Hi, This is a bit lengthy problem, i will try to keep explaining it simple. I have got a file say file1 that contains the following in it, ------------------------------------------------------------------------ r201463 | ngupta@gmail.com | 2012-06-19 22:02:20 +0530 (Tue, 19 Jun 2012) |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kashyap
3 Replies
UNAME(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  UNAME(1)

NAME
uname -- Print operating system name SYNOPSIS
uname [-amnprsv] DESCRIPTION
The uname utility writes symbols representing one or more system characteristics to the standard output. The following options are available: -a Behave as though all of the options -mnrsv were specified. -m print the machine hardware name. -n print the nodename (the nodename may be a name that the system is known by to a communications network). -p print the machine processor architecture name. -r print the operating system release. -s print the operating system name. -v print the operating system version. If no options are specified, uname prints the operating system name as if the -s option had been specified. SEE ALSO
hostname(1), machine(1), sw_vers(1), uname(3) STANDARDS
The uname utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -p option is an extension to the standard. BSD
November 9, 1998 BSD