Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script calling by inittab
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script calling by inittab Post 302991451 by Nadielosabra on Friday 10th of February 2017 04:41:15 PM
Old 02-10-2017
Hi bakunin
the script it is running on AIX 4.3.2.0 .
the script itself work fine only when try to check the Status of few variables there are the Problem. What i found out on few comment in the Forum is the AIX makes a different betwenn lookin in interactive mode and in Batch mode.
i wrote just 3 lines of code for Troubleshooting just write te result of the command env in to a file .
And if i now compare the file i got from Batch mode and from interactive mode they are quit different.
And that is my Problem during Batch Login not all variables available.

Thanks a lot for your help , wish you a nice Weekend
With Kind regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
You are right, sorry. That was an oversight on my part.

OK. Can you post the script you have trouble with? Because, honestly, i have written scripts and put them in inittab before and i didn't encounter your problem, so i suspect it is something within your script rather than your system. (Albeit with a system which is ~16 years old (IIRC) one never can be sure. 4.3.2 was not even the latest 4.3-system. That should be 4.3.3 ML12.).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I got a corrupt /etc/inittab file....what next?

Hi guys, For some reason a client has given us a Sun Netra T1 with Solaris 8 to administer for them. That's always good business. However, the other day we rebooted the machine and to our amazement, after doing the preliminary hardware tests, we got an error messgae saying that /etc/inittab was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inittab solaris

Hi! Is it possible to add more ttys in Solaris, like with inittab in Linux? I want to switch between the ttys with Alt F1+F2+F3 .... like Linux does. How can i do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donald1111
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a variables value from the called script to calling script using ksh

How do i get the value of the variable from the called script(script2) to the calling script(script1) in ksh ? I've given portion of the script here to explain the problem. Portion of Script 1 ============= ----- ----- tmp=`a.ksh p1 p2 p3` if then # error processing fi -----... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajarkumar
10 Replies

4. Solaris

inittab in Solaris 10

Hi, In Solaris 9 and below release we are using the rc script in inittab. I don't have much idea abt inittab in Solaris. In Solris 9 and below: We use rc3 script to start up the server. And we run database script before the rc3. os:23:respawn:/etc/init.d/database start >/dev/null 2>&1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt in /etc/inittab script

Hi.. When i was just looking throught /etc/inittab file.. i had stuck with some problems that i dont known in shell scripts Here how the lablel like si ca lo l1 etc works.. do scripts proivide any label features.. please help... thanks in advance esham (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
3 Replies

6. Solaris

inittab entry does not works

Hi, I have a solaris 10 server,which has a process running that communicates with other system.I have made following entry in the inittab file. PM15:s12345:respawn:/ncm/bin/communicator PM15 : Unique process ID s12345 : run levels respawn : if anytime the process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does inittab needs system restart?

Hi currently my linux instance is running in runlevel 3 ( someone has set the default to 3) i have to change it to runlevel 5 . my question 1) does the editing of /etc/inittab needs system restart to enter runlevel 5. 2) how can we avoid system restart because if some users are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What breaks inittab

Today there was a situation where processes running from inittab was broken. Can someone help me understand, how to find out, who might have stopped those processes? Or how does it get broken? G (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inittab configuration

I am installing BusyBox on a device that does not have keyboard or serial connection, so I log into the system with SSH. I am in doubt about what to put in the inittab file. This is the content of the file: ::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS ::respawn:/bin/login ::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: richard78
1 Replies

10. Linux

How to add a entry in inittab?

Hi All, I am booting by Linux box with the run level 3 and it gets booted successfully. I want to execute a script once the system is up and running in the run level 3. I was trying to add a entry to /etc/inittab to execute my script once the system is up. I have added the below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
5 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adkpqr] [-F pipe] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, do not sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -F pipe Immediately flush output after each write. This will allow a user to create a named pipe using mkfifo(1) and another user may watch the live session using a utility like cat(1). -k Log keys sent to the program as well as output. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start, stop and command status messages. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. -t time Specify the interval at which the script output file will be flushed to disk, in seconds. A value of 0 causes script to flush after every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables are utilized by script: SCRIPT The SCRIPT environment variable is added to the sub-shell. If SCRIPT already existed in the users environment, its value is overwrit- ten within the sub-shell. The value of SCRIPT is the name of the typescript file. SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. The -d, -p and -r options first appeared in NetBSD 2.0 and were ported to FreeBSD 9.2. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when the terminal is in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. If script reads zero bytes from the terminal, it switches to a mode when it only attempts to read once a second until there is data to read. This prevents script from spinning on zero-byte reads, but might cause a 1-second delay in processing of user input. BSD
December 4, 2013 BSD