Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename text file with a specific pattern in directory Post 302991428 by drysdalk on Friday 10th of February 2017 11:20:55 AM
Old 02-10-2017
Hi,

I've come up with the following script which does what you need, I think:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

pattern1="variant_strandbias_readcount.vcf."
pattern2_old="hg19_multianno"
pattern2_new="hg19multianno"
pattern3="_dbremoved_removed_final_index_inheritence_import_classify"

for file in `/bin/ls *.txt`
do
        newname=`echo $file | /bin/sed s/$pattern1//g | /bin/sed s/$pattern2_old/$pattern2_new/g | /bin/sed s/$pattern3//g`
        /bin/mv -fv $file $newname
done

If I run it, this is what I get:

Code:
$ ls -1
16-0000_File-A_variant_strandbias_readcount.vcf.hg19_multianno_dbremoved_removed_final_index_inheritence_import_classify.txt
16-0002_File-B_variant_strandbias_readcount.vcf.hg19_multianno_dbremoved_removed_final_index_inheritence_import_classify.txt
16-0005_File-C_variant_strandbias_readcount.vcf.hg19_multianno_dbremoved_removed_final_index_inheritence_import_classify.txt
script.sh
$ ./script.sh 
'16-0000_File-A_variant_strandbias_readcount.vcf.hg19_multianno_dbremoved_removed_final_index_inheritence_import_classify.txt' -> '16-0000_File-A_hg19multianno.txt'
'16-0002_File-B_variant_strandbias_readcount.vcf.hg19_multianno_dbremoved_removed_final_index_inheritence_import_classify.txt' -> '16-0002_File-B_hg19multianno.txt'
'16-0005_File-C_variant_strandbias_readcount.vcf.hg19_multianno_dbremoved_removed_final_index_inheritence_import_classify.txt' -> '16-0005_File-C_hg19multianno.txt'
$ ls -1
16-0000_File-A_hg19multianno.txt
16-0002_File-B_hg19multianno.txt
16-0005_File-C_hg19multianno.txt
script.sh
$

Hope this helps.
This User Gave Thanks to drysdalk For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting text and reusing the text to rename file

Hi, I have some ps files where I want to ectract/copy a certain number from and use that number to rename the ps file. eg: 'file.ps' contains following text: 14 (09 01 932688 0)t the text can be variable, the only fixed element is the '14 ('. The problem is that the fixed element can appear... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnDS
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i break a text file into parts that occur between a specific pattern

How can i break a text file into parts that occur between a specific pattern? I have text file having various xml many tags like which starts with the tag "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>" . I have to break the whole file into several xmls by looking for the above pattern. All the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract specific string and rename file

Hi all, I am working on a small prog.. i have a file.txt which contains random data... K LINES V4 ADD CODE `COMPANY` ADD CODE `DISTRIBUTOR` SEQ NAME^K LINES V5 SEQ NAME^K LINES V6 ADD `PACK-LDATE` SEQ NAME^K^KCOMMAND END^KHEADINFO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with remove last text of a file that have specific pattern

Input file matrix-remodelling_associated_8_ aurora_interacting_1_ L20 von_factor_A_domain_1 ATP_containing_3B_ . . Output file matrix-remodelling_associated_8 aurora_interacting_1 L20 von_factor_A_domain_1 ATP_containing_3B . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

look for file size greater than "0" of specific pattern and move those to another directory

Hi , i have some files of specific pattern ...i need to look for files which are having size greater than zero and move those files to another directory.. Ex... abc_0702, abc_0709, abc_782 abc_1234 ...etc need to find out which is having the size >0 and move those to target directory..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the file with specific pattern

Hello I am making a script where I need to rename the files but with different names.The file name could be change according to the product I made a logic but that is not working properly arr=$(echo a@b@c | tr "@" "\n") echo $arr output is a b c arry=$(echo d@e@f | tr "@" "\n") ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to zip csv files having specific pattern in a directory using UNIX shell script?

I have files in a Linux directory . Some of the file is listed below -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:17 zzz_123_00000_A_1.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_121_00000_A_2.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_124_00000_A_3.csv drwxrwxr-x. 2 roots roots 6 Dec 23... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match all lines in file where specific text pattern is less than

In the below file I am trying to grep or similar, all lines where only AF= is less than 0.4.. Thank you :). grep grep "AF=" ,+ .4 file file 12 112036782 . T C 34.0248 PASS ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
RENAME(2)							System Calls Manual							 RENAME(2)

NAME
rename - change the name of a file SYNOPSIS
rename(from, to) char *from, *to; DESCRIPTION
Rename causes the link named from to be renamed as to. If to exists, then it is first removed. Both from and to must be of the same type (that is, both directories or both non-directories), and must reside on the same file system. Rename guarantees that an instance of to will always exist, even if the system should crash in the middle of the operation. If the final component of from is a symbolic link, the symbolic link is renamed, not the file or directory to which it points. CAVEAT
The system can deadlock if a loop in the file system graph is present. This loop takes the form of an entry in directory "a", say "a/foo", being a hard link to directory "b", and an entry in directory "b", say "b/bar", being a hard link to directory "a". When such a loop exists and two separate processes attempt to perform "rename a/foo b/bar" and "rename b/bar a/foo", respectively, the system may deadlock attempting to lock both directories for modification. Hard links to directories should be replaced by symbolic links by the system admin- istrator. RETURN VALUE
A 0 value is returned if the operation succeeds, otherwise rename returns -1 and the global variable errno indicates the reason for the failure. ERRORS
Rename will fail and neither of the argument files will be affected if any of the following are true: [EINVAL] Either pathname contains a character with the high-order bit set. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of either pathname exceeded 255 characters, or the entire length of either path name exceeded 1023 characters. [ENOENT] A component of the from path does not exist, or a path prefix of to does not exist. [EACCES] A component of either path prefix denies search permission. [EACCES] The requested link requires writing in a directory with a mode that denies write permission. [EPERM] The directory containing from is marked sticky, and neither the containing directory nor from are owned by the effective user ID. [EPERM] The to file exists, the directory containing to is marked sticky, and neither the containing directory nor to are owned by the effective user ID. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating either pathname. [ENOTDIR] A component of either path prefix is not a directory. [ENOTDIR] From is a directory, but to is not a directory. [EISDIR] To is a directory, but from is not a directory. [EXDEV] The link named by to and the file named by from are on different logical devices (file systems). Note that this error code will not be returned if the implementation permits cross-device links. [ENOSPC] The directory in which the entry for the new name is being placed cannot be extended because there is no space left on the file system containing the directory. [EDQUOT] The directory in which the entry for the new name is being placed cannot be extended because the user's quota of disk blocks on the file system containing the directory has been exhausted. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while making or updating a directory entry. [EROFS] The requested link requires writing in a directory on a read-only file system. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EINVAL] From is a parent directory of to, or an attempt is made to rename ``.'' or ``..''. [ENOTEMPTY] To is a directory and is not empty. SEE ALSO
open(2) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 22, 1986 RENAME(2)