Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity How to use Netfilter properly with IPv6? Post 302991409 by 1in10 on Friday 10th of February 2017 06:49:20 AM
Old 02-10-2017
Debian 8.x works a bit more sophisticated on that issue, but check on the GUI your network configurations. Probably there should be an icon where you can disable the IPv6 support and the whole thing. Traffic will not even be started on that. If it works like this, fine, otherwise, try to find the interface in /etc and may comment it out. Hope that helps. Cheers.
Once you have the opportunity to look at the network interfaces and their connections, you can disable or enact them, as well you can set the DNS and the Gateway. The complication of Debian is, that it offers two of that tools.

Last edited by 1in10; 02-10-2017 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: explanation

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help in extending netfilter

Hi everybody, I have to write a module for matching in netfilter , extending the netfilter but I'm facing some problems can somebody guide me in that. I know that I need to write matching module working in kernel space and a program in userspace. I went through the HOWTO on netfilter-hacking but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trusted Penguin
0 Replies

2. Programming

Problem in registering new netfilter target module

Friends I'm facing a big problem trying to extend the netfilter. Somone please help me with your quick reply (any hint) as I've to meet a deadline. My problem is that I've written a new netfilter target module and its corresponding userspace program for iptables to change the packet type of a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
0 Replies

3. Programming

extending netfilter...plz help

Hello friends i'm trying to extend iptables to include a target by which we can change the packet type field of a packet. For this i created a kernel module and a userspace extension. Now i face the problem that when i try to invoke iptable with the target i created i get an error message saying... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

netfilter connection tracking

hi, i'm using tcpreplay to send a traffic trace to my wireless interface (the trace is been captured by the same interface). It seems as netfilter can't trace connections. Is it possible? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
0 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Netfilter conntracking for P2P protocols (edonkey, bittorent...)

Hi everyone, I would like to allow multi users to access P2P networks, so I wonder if there's a way to tracking these kind of protocols with netfilter, and also compatibility with nat, like the module conntrack_ftp seems to do with the FTP protocol. Thanks guys. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
0 Replies

6. Linux

netfilter / iptables

HI, Is the Netfilter and IPtables same? Thanks & Regards Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
1 Replies

7. Linux

C, LKM, netfilter, PF_PACKET and ARP.

Hello, Everyone knows that with PF_PACKET sockets one can "sniff" a determinated frame from the network device, but just that, see the frame without altering its action on the receiving host. What i want is to "intercept" the incoming frame and pass it through some rules, and if it doesn't pass... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
9 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Experience with libvirt netfilter API

Hi all, I would like to get some ideas and opinions on matter of libvirt netfilter application in KVM environment. I am looking for some easy way to control it with an API and possible experience with that and its performance in real life application. Thanks for all ideas (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoofy
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning ipv6 to bonding interface - getting old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig output

Hi, I have created a bonding bond1 interface with 6 Eth , mode=4. Recently i have changed my old ipv6 to new one and tried to restart as well as reload network service. Post which i can see old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig command output. Below are few files and command output for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies
network-test(1) 						  ifupdown-extra						   network-test(1)

NAME
network-test - check the network and test if everything is fine SYNOPSIS
network-test DESCRIPTION
The network-test program will test your system's network configuration using basic tests and providing both information (INFO), warnings (WARN) and possible errors (ERR) based on the results of these tests. It will check and report on: * Status of the network interfaces of the system including: link status, IP addressing and number of transmitted packets and error rates. * Accessibility to configured routes to external networks, including the default network route, checking the routers configured to give access to the network * Proper host resolution, testing DNS resolution against a known host. * Proper network connectivity, testing reachability of remote hosts using ICMP and simulating a web connections to a remote web server (the web server used for the tests can be configured through the environment, see below) The program does not need special privileges to run as it does not do any system change. However, the behaviour of the program when running as an unprivileged user is not the same as running as system administrator (i.e. root). If the program is run as system administrator it will try to run some tools that are only available to it to speed up some of the tests. The program relies on the use of ip, netstat, ifconfig, arp and (when running as root) ethtool or mii-tool, to obtain information about the system's networking configuration (status of available interfaces and configured network routes). It also uses ping, host and nc (netcat) to do tests of the network connectivity and ensure that the host can connect to the Internet. ENVIRONMENT
The program will, by default, check www.debian.org and its associated web server. If you want to use a different check host you can setup the environment as follows: CHECK_HOST The name of a host to use when testing DNS resolution. CHECK_IP_ADRESS The IP address of the host defined in CHECK_HOST CHECK_WEB_HOST The web server to use for testing purposes when testing network connectivity. CHECK_WEB_PORT The web server port of server CHECK_WEB_HOST that will be used for testing. EXIT STATUS
The program will exit with error (1) if any of the network checks fail. BUGS
This program does not have super cow powers so it is unable to fix the errors by itself. It is also unable to detect if the network is failing due to a local firewall policy been in place so make sure you check your system logs with dmesg (1) to detect if some of the active tests are being dropped due to your local firewall. Other known issues that might make the program not work reliable are: * IPv6: The program does not yet explicitly handle IPv6 only hosts, some of the tests might be biased towards IPv4 and might fail in IPv6 environments. * Proxies: The program does not check network connectivity for hosts that connect through the Internet using a proxy gateway for services. The program might report issues in hosts using proxies even when these might connect to the Internet properly through proxied services. * Firewall environments: some of the tests rely on direct connectivity to external hosts, which are tested using ICMP queries (through the use of ping. These tests might fail in hosts installed in networking environments with firewalls that block outbound ICMP communication. SEE ALSO
ip (8), netstat (8), ifconfig (8), ethtool (8), mii-tool (8), ping (8), nc (1) and host (1). AUTHOR
network-test was written by Javier Fernandez-Sanguino for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. COPYRIGHT AND LICENCE
Copyright (C) 2005-2011 Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfs@debian.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. On Debian systems, a copy of the GNU General Public License may be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. ifupdown-extra August 23 2011 network-test(1)