Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash expansion
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash expansion Post 302991372 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 9th of February 2017 03:53:17 PM
Old 02-09-2017
I believe you don't need any quotes around the -name parameters as shell will expand the variables into a single argument anyway for example:

Code:
$ MY_PATH=/tmp/jcdole
$ mkdir -p $MY_PATH/{test,.local/share/{kscreen,ballo},.dbus}/{test{1,2},.direct{A,B,C},.Xauthority,.xsession1,.bash_history}
$ F1="  -path  $MY_PATH/.local/share/kscreen  -o -path  $MY_PATH/.local/share/ballo   -o -path  $MY_PATH/.dbus "
$ F2=" ! -name .direct*  ! -name .Xauthority  ! -name .xsession*  ! -name .bash_history "
$ find "$MY_PATH" -type d \( $F1 \)  -prune -o \( $F2 -print \)
/tmp/jcdole
/tmp/jcdole/.local
/tmp/jcdole/.local/share
/tmp/jcdole/test
/tmp/jcdole/test/test1
/tmp/jcdole/test/test2

Without 2nd Filter you get:

Code:
$ $ find "$MY_PATH" -type d \( $F1 \)  -prune -o -print
/tmp/jcdole
/tmp/jcdole/.local
/tmp/jcdole/.local/share
/tmp/jcdole/test
/tmp/jcdole/test/.bash_history
/tmp/jcdole/test/.directA
/tmp/jcdole/test/.directB
/tmp/jcdole/test/.directC
/tmp/jcdole/test/.Xauthority
/tmp/jcdole/test/.xsession1
/tmp/jcdole/test/test1
/tmp/jcdole/test/test2

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 02-09-2017 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Added output without the 2nd filter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - delay expansion of variable

Hello - I have a bash script which does some logging, and I'd like to include the line number of the echo statement that pipes into $LOGGER: MYPID=$$ MYNAME=`basename $0` LOGGER="/usr/bin/logger -t $MYNAME($LINENO) -p daemon.error" ... echo 'this is an entry into the log file' | $LOGGER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scandora
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Brace expansion problem in Bash

I have a script that takes an option for server pools to run the script against. The option is given as a comma separated list (ie, -p 201,204,301). I'm using eval and brace expansion to get those pool numbers into an array. It works fine unless only 1 pool number is given. Here's the code: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable delayed expansion?

i write a batch file , here is the content. dirname='date +%Y-%m-%d' mkdir dirname but it doen's work, it just create a folder named date and +%Y-%m-%d. i have tried run the command seperately in the bash prompt. after the first sentence executed , i use $dirname to watch the value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: premotheus
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does SH support indirect expansion like BASH?

Hello, is there a kind soul who can answer me, does the SH support double substitution known as indirect expansion similar to BASH? The syntax for bash is ${!var}. For instance in bash I can write something like this: VAR="value" REF_VAR="VAR" echo ${!REF_VAR} and get the "value"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dimentiy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell expansion help

This is what I have in my directory. $ ls test1.txt test2.txt test3.txt test4.txt test5.txt test_script.sh This is what my shellscript looks like. #!/bin/bash for filename in /shell_expansion/*.txt; do for ((i=0; i<=3; i++)); do echo "$filename" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable expansion

Hello. The file /etc/fstab contains UUID=957c3295-9944-1593-82e2-2b90dede4312 / ext4 noatime,discard,acl,user_xattr 1 1 I fill a variable SOME_LINE=$( cat /etc/fstab | grep \/\..*ext4 | grep noatime,discard )echo $SOME_LINE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Parameter Expansion

I have made the following examples that print various parameter expansions text: iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz.d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018.sac (text%.*): iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz.d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018 (text%%.*): iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz (text#*.): d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018.sac... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Parameter Expansion

#!/bin/bash SNMPW='/usr/bin/snmpwalk' while read h i do loc=$($SNMPW -v3 -u 'Myusername' -l authPriv -a SHA -A 'Password1' -x AES -X 'Password2' $i sysLocation.0 2>/dev/null) loc=${loc:-" is not snmpable."} loc=${loc##*: } loc=${loc//,/} echo "$i,$h,$loc" done < $1 My question is ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumguy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : More parameter expansion and IFS

I am trying to become more fluent with the interworking of bash and minimize the number of external calls. Sample Data. This will be the response of the snmp query. SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: SomeHostName SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.1745... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use parameter expansion over a parameter expansion in bash.

Hello All, Could you please do help me here as I would like to perform parameter expansion in shell over a parameter expansion. Let's say I have following variable. path="/var/talend/nat/cdc" Now to get only nat I could do following. path1="${path%/*}" path1="${path1##*/}" Here... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
8 Replies
mkxauth(1x)							Linux User's Manual						       mkxauth(1x)

NAME
mkxauth - create and merge .Xauthority files SYNOPSIS(1) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -c [ host [ host ... ] ] (2) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -m login(3) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -f host(4) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -r host [ -l login ] (5) mkxauth [ -q ] [ -u login ] -z host [ -l login ] DESCRIPTION
mkxauth aids in the creation and maintenance of X authentication databases (.Xauthority files). Use it to create a ~/.Xauthority file or merge keys from another local or remote .Xauthority file. Remote .Xauthority files can be retrieved via FTP (using ncftp(1)) or via rsh(1). For a slight measure of security, mkxauth does not create any temporary files containing authentication keys (although anyone spy- ing on network packets can see the authentication key data as they pass through the network; for secure network communications, use ssh(1)). Creating and Adding to a .Xauthority File To create a .Xauthority file, use mkxauth -c (see(1) above). mkxauth creates a .Xauthority file in the user's home directory (~/), con- taining a `key' or `magic cookie' for the host it was run on (the one returned by hostname(1)). If a .Xauthority file already exists, the keys are added to it. If keys for that host already exist, they are replaced. To create or add to a .Xauthority file for another user, use mkxauth -u login -c. mkxauth adds keys to ~login/.Xauthority (only the root user is allowed to do this). To add a key for more than one host, specify all hosts on the command line: mkxauth -c daffy porky bugs. All hosts specified on the same command line receive the same key. To create different keys for multiple hosts, run mkxauth for each host in succession: mkxauth -c daffy mkxauth -c porky mkxauth -c bugs Merging Keys from Local .Xauthority Files To merge keys from another local user's .Xauthority file, use mkxauth -m login (see(2) above). mkxauth adds the keys in ~login/.Xauthor- ity to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. ~login/.Xauthority must be readable by the user running mkxauth (normally only the root user can read other people's .Xauthority files). Merging Keys via FTP To merge keys from a remote .Xauthority file via FTP, use mkxauth -f host (see(3) above). mkxauth retrieves the remote .Xauthority from host using ncftp(1) and adds those keys to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. [NOTE: you must have a ~/.netrc file set up to automatically log you into host, otherwise the FTP login attempt will fail.] Merging Keys via rsh(1) To merge keys from remote .Xauthority file via rsh(1), use mkxauth -r host (see(4) above). mkxauth retrieves the remote .Xauthority from host using rsh(1) and adds those keys to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. To login as a different user, use -l login. [NOTE: you must have a .rhosts file set up properly for this to work, otherwise the remote login attempt will fail]. Merging Keys via rsh(1) and gzip(1) If your remote .Xauthority file is large, or to make it slightly less obvious that you're transferring authentication keys over the net- work, mkxauth can gzip(1) your .Xauthority file before retrieving it via rsh(1). To do this, use mkxauth -z host (see(5) above). mkxauth retrieves the remote .Xauthority from host using rsh(1) and adds those keys to ~/.Xauthority, replacing any keys which already exist. To login as a different user, use -l login. [NOTE: you must have a .rhosts file set up properly for this to work, otherwise the remote login attempt will fail]. Options To make mkxauth operate quietly, use the -q option. To add to ~login/.Xauthority, use the -u login option. To use login for the remote login in mkxauth -f, mkxauth -r, and mkxauth -z, use the -l login option. Getting Help To get quick help about mkxauth, use mkxauth --help. FILES
~/.Xauthority ~/.netrc ~/.rhosts COMMENTS
mkxauth is mostly useful for maintaining .Xauthority files in an environment which uses startx(1x). xdm(1x) uses its own method of gener- ating .Xauthority files. However, mkxauth is still useful for transferring .Xauthority information to remote login sessions so that the user can display remote X clients on the local host without too much trouble. Note, however, that using rsh(1) is inherently insecure, and sites concerned about security should use ssh(1) instead (see http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/ for more information). SEE ALSO
X(1x), Xsecurity(1x), gzip(1), mcookie(1), md5sum(1), ncftp(1), rsh(1), startx(1x), xauth(1x), xdm(1x) BUGS
Does not respect the XAUTHORITY environment variable. AUTHOR
Conceived and written by Jim Knoble <jmknoble@redhat.com>. Copyright 1996 by Jim Knoble and Red Hat Software. Distributed under the GNU GPL (General Public License); see ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/COPYING for more information. Red Hat Software 12-Dec-1996 mkxauth(1x)