Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Vi / vim - Insert a external command response Post 302991281 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 8th of February 2017 01:00:25 PM
Old 02-08-2017
Try the following sequence of commands:
Code:
/ all<carriage-return>

(where <carriage-return> is entered by hitting the "return" key) This will position the cursor on the space where you want to insert your text.
Code:
s<carriage-return><carriage-return><ESC>

(where <ESC> is entered by hitting the escape key) This will create an empty line where we can insert the output from an external command and leave the cursor on the line after the empty line we just created.
Code:
.-1!echo $HOME<carriage-return>

which will replace the contents of the empty line above where where are sitting with the output produced by the command echo $HOME and leave the cursor on the text that was just replaced.
Code:
kJJ

to move up one line and join the next two lines to that line.

Then continue with other changes you want to make to the file...

PS: Note that the above instructions assume that your cursor is located at the start of the line you mentioned in your post. If that is not where you are sitting, the initial search pattern may need to be more extensive to be sure you locate the proper spot on the proper line.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 02-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Add PS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert escape charactor within VIM

Hi, I need to send "^[" command to the buffer. I tried to use insert within VIM and press 'ctrl' key and then '^' and '[' key. but it didn't work. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks a lot! Julie (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cin2000
2 Replies

2. AIX

VI questions : mass changes, mass delete and external insert

Is it possible in VI to do a global change but take the search patterns and the replacement patterns from an external file ? I have cases where I can have 100,200 or 300+ global changes to do. All the new records are inside a file and I must VI a work file to change all of them. Also, can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'less' command response is garbled

Helo , I m using RHEL 4. If I run 'ls -laF | more', response is properly display. but when I run If I run 'ls -laF | less', the response is garbled what to do to remove this? Regards, Amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi/vim insert behaviors

While using vi or vim on different boxes, I experience different behaviors when I'm inserting (i) or writing on a new line (o). On the Linux box, I can insert and delete with my backspacekey while in the insert mode. It acts a little more like pico,nedit, etc. On the SunOS box, it's a headache... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert external variable in a AWK pattern

Dear all, ¿How can i insert a variable in a AWK pattern? I have almost succeeded in solving a puzzle with AWK but now i want to make a script. Let me explain. cat file.txt | awk 'BEGIN {RS="\\n\\n"} /tux/ { print "\n"$0 }' I know that this command makes right what i want to do, but mi... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: antuan
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp command and no response

I should trasfer some files by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to local host. In order to check the function works i tried to transfer a single file and I typed: scp -P 21 username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/filename.nas /filename.nas At this point i haven't response anch i have to type CTRL+C to return to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreac81
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim external command output to new buffer

Hi, From inside Vim, I'm looking for a way to use the contents of the current buffer, pass it to an external executable, and then return the output from the executable into a new Vim buffer. I know that I can do something like %!<executable>, but that will overwrite the contents of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: konfushus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] - how to insert an external variable

I want to incorporate the variable in the for statement as a column of my processed file. In the INCORRECT example below, it is $i which corresponds to the i in my for loop: for i in x86_64 i686; do awk '{ print $1" "$4" "$5" "$i }'awk $file-$i > processed-$i.log doneThanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

WGET command retrying to get response

Hi , Iam using " WGET " command to hit the URL,i.e. servlet url. I can trigger the servlet using wget but when servlet is not responding this command retries automatically until it get the positive response from the server. So this script is running for more than 8 hrs to get the positive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell vim defaulting to Insert or Command mode

On a daily basis I need to SSH into several different RHEL servers using Putty. On some of the servers, if I up arrow to get a previous command, it automatically starts in Input Mode, so if I press up arrow, then 'x' it will type the letter x at the end of the command line. On other servers, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derndingle
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)