Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Vi / vim - Insert a external command response Post 302991281 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 8th of February 2017 01:00:25 PM
Old 02-08-2017
Try the following sequence of commands:
Code:
/ all<carriage-return>

(where <carriage-return> is entered by hitting the "return" key) This will position the cursor on the space where you want to insert your text.
Code:
s<carriage-return><carriage-return><ESC>

(where <ESC> is entered by hitting the escape key) This will create an empty line where we can insert the output from an external command and leave the cursor on the line after the empty line we just created.
Code:
.-1!echo $HOME<carriage-return>

which will replace the contents of the empty line above where where are sitting with the output produced by the command echo $HOME and leave the cursor on the text that was just replaced.
Code:
kJJ

to move up one line and join the next two lines to that line.

Then continue with other changes you want to make to the file...

PS: Note that the above instructions assume that your cursor is located at the start of the line you mentioned in your post. If that is not where you are sitting, the initial search pattern may need to be more extensive to be sure you locate the proper spot on the proper line.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 02-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Add PS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert escape charactor within VIM

Hi, I need to send "^[" command to the buffer. I tried to use insert within VIM and press 'ctrl' key and then '^' and '[' key. but it didn't work. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks a lot! Julie (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cin2000
2 Replies

2. AIX

VI questions : mass changes, mass delete and external insert

Is it possible in VI to do a global change but take the search patterns and the replacement patterns from an external file ? I have cases where I can have 100,200 or 300+ global changes to do. All the new records are inside a file and I must VI a work file to change all of them. Also, can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'less' command response is garbled

Helo , I m using RHEL 4. If I run 'ls -laF | more', response is properly display. but when I run If I run 'ls -laF | less', the response is garbled what to do to remove this? Regards, Amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi/vim insert behaviors

While using vi or vim on different boxes, I experience different behaviors when I'm inserting (i) or writing on a new line (o). On the Linux box, I can insert and delete with my backspacekey while in the insert mode. It acts a little more like pico,nedit, etc. On the SunOS box, it's a headache... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert external variable in a AWK pattern

Dear all, ¿How can i insert a variable in a AWK pattern? I have almost succeeded in solving a puzzle with AWK but now i want to make a script. Let me explain. cat file.txt | awk 'BEGIN {RS="\\n\\n"} /tux/ { print "\n"$0 }' I know that this command makes right what i want to do, but mi... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: antuan
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp command and no response

I should trasfer some files by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to local host. In order to check the function works i tried to transfer a single file and I typed: scp -P 21 username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/filename.nas /filename.nas At this point i haven't response anch i have to type CTRL+C to return to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreac81
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim external command output to new buffer

Hi, From inside Vim, I'm looking for a way to use the contents of the current buffer, pass it to an external executable, and then return the output from the executable into a new Vim buffer. I know that I can do something like %!<executable>, but that will overwrite the contents of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: konfushus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] - how to insert an external variable

I want to incorporate the variable in the for statement as a column of my processed file. In the INCORRECT example below, it is $i which corresponds to the i in my for loop: for i in x86_64 i686; do awk '{ print $1" "$4" "$5" "$i }'awk $file-$i > processed-$i.log doneThanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

WGET command retrying to get response

Hi , Iam using " WGET " command to hit the URL,i.e. servlet url. I can trigger the servlet using wget but when servlet is not responding this command retries automatically until it get the positive response from the server. So this script is running for more than 8 hrs to get the positive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell vim defaulting to Insert or Command mode

On a daily basis I need to SSH into several different RHEL servers using Putty. On some of the servers, if I up arrow to get a previous command, it automatically starts in Input Mode, so if I press up arrow, then 'x' it will type the letter x at the end of the command line. On other servers, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derndingle
4 Replies
Mined  is a simple screen editor.  At any instant, a window of 24
lines is visible on the screen.  The current position in the file
is shown by the cursor.  Ordinary characters typed in are insert-
ed at the cursor.  Control characters and  keys  on  the  numeric
keypad	(at the right-hand side of the keyboard) are used to move
the cursor and perform other functions.  Commands exist  to  move
forward  and backward a word, and delete words either in front of
the cursor or behind it.  A word in this context is a sequence of
characters  delimited  on  both  ends by white space (space, tab,
line feed, start of file, or end  of  file).   The  commands  for
deleting  characters and words also work on line feeds, making it
possible to join two consecutive lines by deleting the line  feed
between  them.	 The  editor  maintains one save buffer (not dis-
played).  Commands are present to move text from the file to  the
buffer, from the buffer to the file, and to write the buffer onto
a new file.  If the edited text cannot be written out  due  to	a
full disk, it may still be possible to copy the whole text to the
save buffer and then write it to a different file on a	different
disk with CTRL-Q.  It may also be possible to escape from the ed-
itor with CTRL-S and remove some files.   Some	of  the  commands
prompt	for  arguments	(file names, search patterns, etc.).  All
commands that might result in  loss  of  the  file  being  edited
prompt to ask for confirmation.  A key (command or ordinary char-
acter) can be repeated times by typing where is the  escape  key.
Forward  and  backward searching requires a regular expression as
the search pattern.  Regular expressions follow the same rules as
in  the  editor,  These  rules	can be stated as: Any displayable
character matches itself.  . (period) matches any  character  ex-
cept line feed.  ^ (circumflex) matches the start of the line.	$
(dollar sign) matches the end of the line.  c matches the  char-
acter  c  (including  period, circumflex, etc).  [string] matches
any of the characters in the string.  [^string]  matches  any  of
the  characters  except  those	in the string.	[x-y] matches any
characters between x and y (e.g., [a-z]).  Pattern*  matches  any
number	of  occurrences of pattern.  Some examples of regular ex-
pressions are:
  The boy   matches the string The boy
  ^$	    matches any empty line.
  ^.$	    matches any line containing exactly 1 character
  ^A.*.$   matches any line starting with an A,  ending  with	a
	    period.
  ^[A-Z]*$  matches  any line containing only capital letters (or
	    empty).
  [A-Z0-9]  matches any line containing either a  capital  letter
	    or a digit.
  .*X$	    matches any line ending in X
  A.*B	    matches any line containing an A and then a B

Control characters cannot be entered into a file simply by typing
them because all of them are editor commands.  To enter a control
character,  depress  the ALT key, and then while holding it down,
hit the ESC key.  Release both ALT and ESC and type  the  control
character.   Control  characters  are displayed in reverse video.
The commands are as follows.

CURSOR MOTION
arrows Move the cursor in the indicated direction CTRL-A Move cursor to start of current line CTRL-Z Move cursor to end of current line CTRL-^ Move cursor to top of screen CTRL-_ Move cursor to end of screen CTRL-F Move cursor forward to start of next word CTRL-B Move cursor backward to start of previous word SCREEN MOTION
Home key Move to first character of the file End key Move to last character of the file PgUp key Scroll window up 23 lines (closer to start of the file) PgDn key Scroll window down 23 lines (closer to end of the file) CTRL-U Scroll window up 1 line CTRL-D Scroll window down 1 line MODIFYING TEXT
Del key Delete the character under the cursor Backspace Delete the character to left of the cursor CTRL-N Delete the next word CTRL-P Delete the previous word CTRL-T Delete tail of line (all characters from cursor to end of line) CTRL-O Open up the line (insert line feed and back up) CTRL-G Get and insert a file at the cursor position BUFFER OPERATIONS
CTRL-@ Set mark at current position for use with CTRL-C and CTRL-K CTRL-C Copy the text between the mark and the cursor into the buffer CTRL-K Delete text between mark and cursor; also copy it to the buffer CTRL-Y Yank contents of the buffer out and insert it at the cursor CTRL-Q Write the contents of the buffer onto a file MISCELLANEOUS
numeric + Search forward (prompts for regular expression) numeric - Search backward (prompts for regular expression) numeric 5 Display the file status CTRL-] Go to specific line CTRL-R Global replace pattern with string (from cursor to end) CTRL-L Line replace pattern with string CTRL-W Write the edited file back to the disk CTRL-X Exit the editor CTRL-S Fork off a shell (use CTRL-D to get back to the edi- tor) CTRL- Abort whatever the editor was doing and wait for com- mand CTRL-E Erase screen and redraw it CTRL-V Visit (edit) a new file Mined was designed by Andy Tanenbaum and written by Michiel Huis- jes.