Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capture the last record number using "awk" NR variable Post 302991272 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 8th of February 2017 11:50:42 AM
Old 02-08-2017
If you just want to print the number of lines in a file, and you're unwilling to use:
Code:
wc -l < file

and have to use awk, the simple way to do it would be:
Code:
awk 'END{print NR}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count number of occurrences of a "|" from a variable?

I have a variable, var="some1|some2|some3" I want to know how many "|" are in $var. When I say echo $var | grep -c '|' I am getting only 1 :confused: :confused: :confused: ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do "if [ $variable -eq "a number" ] ?

In particular I'm trying to check if a line contains an IP address and then do something with it. The file contains some lines that have no numbers, some blank lines, and some lines with only IP addresses. #!/bin/bash touch file2.txt cat file1.txt | \ while read line do if *.*.*.* ];... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - How to escape variable number of "/" (slash) ?

Hi, Can you tell me how to escape a variable number of slash characters in sed "/" ? In the script the code looks like this: cat $file_to_update | sed s/^$param/$param=$tab2*\#\*/1 And the $tab2 value is a path so it will have a number of "/" charracters. # cat db.cfg | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for saving vertical datas to horizontal with "awk" or "cut"

hi, i have a file having datas like that ./a.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ..... ..... ... i want to save this datas to another file like that ./b.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ... ... ... i think awk can make this but how? :) waiting for ur help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mercury
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable interpolation in "print" of awk command

Hi, I have a snippet like below. Based on variable i, i wish to print 1,2,3,4,5th columns to Sample files. For each loop, one column from contetn and results will be pused to sample files. But i have a problem here i=1 while ; do `awk -F"\t" '{print $($i)}' $content > Sample_${i}_original`;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable into shell command "date -d": possible...?

Hello, there! I am trying to pass an awk variable into a shell command in order to collect the result into an awk variable; in Bash it does work, as in: v='2'; date -d "now + $v weeks" But in awk it does not, as in: v="2" "date -d 'now + v weeks'" | getline newdate close ("date -d 'now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fbird3
3 Replies
SCREENCAPTURE(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  SCREENCAPTURE(1)

NAME
screencapture -- capture images from the screen and save them to a file or the clipboard SYNOPSIS
screencapture [-SWCTMPcimswxto] file DESCRIPTION
The screencapture utility is not very well documented to date. A list of options follows. -c Force screen capture to go to the clipboard. -b Capture Touch Bar, only works in non-interactive modes. -C Capture the cursor as well as the screen. Only allowed in non-interactive modes. -d Display errors to the user graphically. -i Capture screen interactively, by selection or window. The control key will cause the screen shot to go to the clipboard. The space key will toggle between mouse selection and window selection modes. The escape key will cancel the interactive screen shot. -m Only capture the main monitor, undefined if -i is set. -D <display> Screen capture or record from the display specified. 1 is main, 2 secondary, etc -o In window capture mode, do not capture the shadow of the window. -p Screen capture will use the default settings for capture. The files argument will be ignored. -M Open the taken picture in a new Mail message. -P Open the taken picture in a Preview window or QuickTime Player if video. -I Open the taken picture in Mesages. -B <bundleid> Open in the app matching bundleid. -s Only allow mouse selection mode. -S In window capture mode, capture the screen instead of the window. -J <style> Sets the starting style of interfactive capture "selection","window","video". -t <format> Image format to create, default is png (other options include pdf, jpg, tiff and other formats). -T <seconds> Take the picture after a delay of <seconds>, default is 5. -w Only allow window selection mode. -W Start interaction in window selection mode. -x Do not play sounds. -a Do not capture attached windows. -r Do not add screen dpi meta data to captured file. -l <windowid> Captures the window with windowid. -R <rectangle> Capture rectangle using format x,y,width,height. -v Capture video recording of the screen. -V <seconds> Capture video recording of the screen for the specified seconds. -A <id> Captures audio during a video recording using default input. Optionally pass id of the audio source. -k Show clicks in video recordings. -U Show interactive toolbar in interactive mode. -u Present UI after screencapture is complete. Files passed to commandline will be ignored. files where to save the screen capture, 1 file per screen BUGS
Better documentation is needed for this utility. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
To capture screen content while logged in via ssh, you must launch screencapture in the same mach bootstrap hierarchy as loginwindow: PID=pid of loginwindow sudo launchctl bsexec $PID screencapture [options] HISTORY
A screencapture utility first appeared in Mac OS X v10.2. Mac OS June 16, 2004 Mac OS