Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX: passing stuff to a shell function Post 302991261 by emare on Wednesday 8th of February 2017 11:08:02 AM
Old 02-08-2017
UNIX: passing stuff to a shell function

I have users that print files to selected printers. Instead of creating one function for each printer I would like to have just one and passing the files to print as well as the wanted printer. The following code does not work, of course.
I'm expecting that $1 is the list of files to be printed and $2 the printer; but $1 and $2 are the first two files in $list2.
Using $@ will carry all variables including also the $printer2, but that it is not useful.
Can anyone point me to the correct solution?

Code:
printer2=some1printer1
list2=`ls /spooldocs/sch/sch* |sort`
Print $list2 $printer2

Print(){
  for job in $1 ; do
    if [[ $job == *503374*.pcl ]]; then
      lp -d$2 $job
      lp -d$2 $job
    fi
    lp -d$2 $job
    lp -d$2 $job
    lp -d$2 $job
    lp -d$2 $job
  done
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring function in UNIX shell script

Hi All, Following is the output of a find commnd to locate log directories for various projects of UNIX AIX box: /home/hbinz6pf/projectlibs/dpr_pfsdw_dev/&PH& /opt/tools/ds/Template/&PH& /data/ds/ms/hmsdw/projectlibs/dpr_ms_dev/&PH& /data/ds/riskmi/projectlibs/dpr_riskmi_dev/&PH&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csrazdan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a unix variable value to a Plsql function

Suppose I have a unix variable called RGNM which is holding a value. Now I want to call a plsql function in my script. THis plsql function takes one IN parameter. I want to pass my UNIX VARIABLE Value to the plsql function. Can i just give it by giving $RGNM in the function after calling sqlplus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the value of Out parm in SP to UNIX Shell Script

I have a simple procedure which accepts two input parms and returns and output count: CREATE OR REPLACE Procedure GET1 ( IN_FOLDER IN VARCHAR2, IN_SUBJECT_AREA IN VARCHAR2, OUT_CNT IN OUT VARCHAR2 ) AS BEGIN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH - Passing Unix login passwords through shell scripts

Hi All , I need to call a script runscript_B.sh on server A, the runscript_B.sh script locating in server B. The runscript_B.sh in calls another script runscript_A on server A itself. it seend, i need to be connect from Server A to Server B using ssh. I have tryed like this in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help Passing An Oracle parameter to a unix shell.

I have an Oracle concurrent program that I'm passing a parameter to a unix shell script. An example value of the Oracle parameter is PO_TOP. The Oracle parameter represents the unix env var PO_TOP, meaning, on the unix side there is env var called PO_TOP (ex value: /oradev/apps/po/11.0.3/). My... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark_Wright
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a value to stored procedure from unix shell script

Hi Dudes :) I want a unix shell script to pass value to SQL stored procedure. Below is the procedure declare res varchar2(10); begin odm_load_check('PRE_SANITY',res); dbms_output.put_line(res); end; select * from error_log; truncate table error_log; select * from test; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shirdi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing sql as parameter to unix function

Hi, I have a function which connects to the db and runs the sql. it works fine when I run it like: function "select empname from emp;" but when I try to pass the sql string to a variable which in turn in fed to the function , it throws error. please advise. Thanks, Arnie. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsarnie
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All, I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance. readtasklist() { while read -r mod ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
1 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Passing variables from UNIX to Ansible to UNIX shell

I m passing a variable stringg from Unix shell which has value 'Good Day' to ansible and from ansible to a second shell script where it print only Good instead of 'Good Day' passing the variable stringg from unix shell script1.sh echo $stringg ansible-playbook install.yml -i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
SYSTEM-CONFIG-PRIN(1)						     Man pages						     SYSTEM-CONFIG-PRIN(1)

NAME
system-config-printer-applet - print job manager SYNOPSIS
system-config-printer-applet [--help] [--version] [--debug] DESCRIPTION
system-config-printer-applet is a print job manager for CUPS. Normally it will display a printer icon in the notification area, greyed out when there are no print jobs for the current user. Clicking on the icon displays a simple print job manager for cancelling or reprinting jobs. To save memory, the applet waits first of all until the user has printed a job before putting the icon in the notification area. To invoke the print job manager before a job has been printed, run the applet with the --no-tray-icon option: a desktop file is provided for this, so that it should appear in the system menu. As well as displaying a printer icon in the notification area, the applet also provides a D-BUS server for the com.redhat.PrintDriverSelection interface, to help configure a new printer when it is plugged in. OPTIONS
--help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version of the applet. --debug Show debugging information. AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> Author. system-config-printer 24 Nov 2010 SYSTEM-CONFIG-PRIN(1)