Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capture the last record number using "awk" NR variable Post 302991248 by zaxxon on Wednesday 8th of February 2017 08:52:13 AM
Old 02-08-2017
The number of records which is NR contains the current line number. awk has an END{} block, where when it is reached NR will have the number 21 as value in your case.
Anyway, I second what the others say, that the least complex tool needed to do the job might be the tool of choice.

If I got it right, you just want to read an input file and do something with every line.

This could generally also be done with something like this:

Code:
while read LINE; do
    echo $LINE
done < infile

...where the echo could be something else of course.
This way you don't even need to know how many lines you have to use it in a for-loop, as it cycles over every line anyway.
This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count number of occurrences of a "|" from a variable?

I have a variable, var="some1|some2|some3" I want to know how many "|" are in $var. When I say echo $var | grep -c '|' I am getting only 1 :confused: :confused: :confused: ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do "if [ $variable -eq "a number" ] ?

In particular I'm trying to check if a line contains an IP address and then do something with it. The file contains some lines that have no numbers, some blank lines, and some lines with only IP addresses. #!/bin/bash touch file2.txt cat file1.txt | \ while read line do if *.*.*.* ];... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - How to escape variable number of "/" (slash) ?

Hi, Can you tell me how to escape a variable number of slash characters in sed "/" ? In the script the code looks like this: cat $file_to_update | sed s/^$param/$param=$tab2*\#\*/1 And the $tab2 value is a path so it will have a number of "/" charracters. # cat db.cfg | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for saving vertical datas to horizontal with "awk" or "cut"

hi, i have a file having datas like that ./a.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ..... ..... ... i want to save this datas to another file like that ./b.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ... ... ... i think awk can make this but how? :) waiting for ur help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mercury
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable interpolation in "print" of awk command

Hi, I have a snippet like below. Based on variable i, i wish to print 1,2,3,4,5th columns to Sample files. For each loop, one column from contetn and results will be pused to sample files. But i have a problem here i=1 while ; do `awk -F"\t" '{print $($i)}' $content > Sample_${i}_original`;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable into shell command "date -d": possible...?

Hello, there! I am trying to pass an awk variable into a shell command in order to collect the result into an awk variable; in Bash it does work, as in: v='2'; date -d "now + $v weeks" But in awk it does not, as in: v="2" "date -d 'now + v weeks'" | getline newdate close ("date -d 'now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fbird3
3 Replies
PX_PUT_RECORDN(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PX_PUT_RECORDN(3)

NAME
PX_put_recordn -- Stores record in Paradox file at certain position SYNOPSIS
#include <paradox.h> int PX_put_recordn(pxdoc_t *pxdoc, char *data, int recpos) DESCRIPTION
Stores a record in the buffer data into a Paradox file at the given position recpos. The first position has number 0. The function will determine the data block for this record. If the position is after the last data block, then as many as needed empty data blocks will be added. If the position is in the middle of a data block and there is no record right before the position, then the position will be recal- culated to make sure the new record will be stored in the first free slot of the datablock. For example, if a datablock contains H records and the first call of PX_put_recordn wants to store a record at postion 11, then this will be corrected to position H. PX_put_recordn will also add an empty data block and store the record as the first record of the second data block. Storing a second record at position 11 again, will be executed without any position change. data must be constructed with PX_put_data_xxx(3) functions before. It is of the same structure as the record returned by PX_get_record(3) and PX_get_record2(3). RETURN VALUE
Returns the record position on success and -1 on failure. The first position has number 0. SEE ALSO
PX_get_record(3), PX_get_record2(3), PX_put_record(3), PX_put_data_byte(3), PX_put_data_short(3), PX_put_data_long(3), PX_put_data_dou- ble(3), PX_put_data_alpha(3) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Uwe Steinmann uwe@steinmann.cx. PX_PUT_RECORDN(3)