Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capture the last record number using "awk" NR variable Post 302991241 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 8th of February 2017 08:20:38 AM
Old 02-08-2017
If it is a trivial count, then commands like wc can give you this, however I think the easiest way using awk (if you are really doing some processing of the data in awk) is to have a count incremented each time you read a record, then in the END section, display the count.

Would this work for you?:-
Code:
awk '{c=NR;print c ; records++} END {print records}' abc.txt

Obviously adjust it to your preferences. The above will print a line number for every record read AND the final record count, so this might not be what you want. I would only go with awk if you are doing some other processing. wc is far simpler.

I hope that this helps,
Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count number of occurrences of a "|" from a variable?

I have a variable, var="some1|some2|some3" I want to know how many "|" are in $var. When I say echo $var | grep -c '|' I am getting only 1 :confused: :confused: :confused: ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do "if [ $variable -eq "a number" ] ?

In particular I'm trying to check if a line contains an IP address and then do something with it. The file contains some lines that have no numbers, some blank lines, and some lines with only IP addresses. #!/bin/bash touch file2.txt cat file1.txt | \ while read line do if *.*.*.* ];... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - How to escape variable number of "/" (slash) ?

Hi, Can you tell me how to escape a variable number of slash characters in sed "/" ? In the script the code looks like this: cat $file_to_update | sed s/^$param/$param=$tab2*\#\*/1 And the $tab2 value is a path so it will have a number of "/" charracters. # cat db.cfg | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for saving vertical datas to horizontal with "awk" or "cut"

hi, i have a file having datas like that ./a.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ..... ..... ... i want to save this datas to another file like that ./b.txt 12344 12345 12346 12347 ... ... ... i think awk can make this but how? :) waiting for ur help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mercury
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable interpolation in "print" of awk command

Hi, I have a snippet like below. Based on variable i, i wish to print 1,2,3,4,5th columns to Sample files. For each loop, one column from contetn and results will be pused to sample files. But i have a problem here i=1 while ; do `awk -F"\t" '{print $($i)}' $content > Sample_${i}_original`;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable into shell command "date -d": possible...?

Hello, there! I am trying to pass an awk variable into a shell command in order to collect the result into an awk variable; in Bash it does work, as in: v='2'; date -d "now + $v weeks" But in awk it does not, as in: v="2" "date -d 'now + v weeks'" | getline newdate close ("date -d 'now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fbird3
3 Replies
PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Capture(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Capture(3)

NAME
PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Capture - Represent capture parentheses. SYNOPSIS
use PPIx::Regexp::Dumper; PPIx::Regexp::Dumper->new( 'qr{(foo)}smx' ) ->print(); INHERITANCE
"PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Capture" is a PPIx::Regexp::Structure. "PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Capture" is the parent of PPIx::Regexp::Structure::NamedCapture. DESCRIPTION
This class represents capture parentheses. METHODS
This class provides the following public methods. Methods not documented here are private, and unsupported in the sense that the author reserves the right to change or remove them without notice. name my $name = $element->name(); This method returns the name of the capture buffer. Unless the buffer is actually named, this will be "undef". number my $number = $element->number() This method returns the number of the capture buffer. Note that named buffers have numbers also. SUPPORT
Support is by the author. Please file bug reports at <http://rt.cpan.org>, or in electronic mail to the author. AUTHOR
Thomas R. Wyant, III wyant at cpan dot org COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 by Thomas R. Wyant, III This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl 5.10.0. For more details, see the full text of the licenses in the directory LICENSES. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-10 PPIx::Regexp::Structure::Capture(3)