Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help make pkgadd command Non-Interactive Post 302991119 by zaxxon on Tuesday 7th of February 2017 01:36:49 AM
Old 02-07-2017
I am sorry to say it but it seems that you lack so many basic fundamental things working with Unix/Linux and it also seems that all those really many threads of yours in the forum and all the answers you got, do not change a bit to that fact.
You might want to take a basic lesson in administering a system.
Because of this, I will set your account to read-only for 3 months so you have time to catch up a bit.

Cheers
zaxxon
This User Gave Thanks to zaxxon For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a cshell (csh) script interactive

Experts, I tried to make my cshell script interactive by asking the user for password and trying to read the input using the "read" command. I have been unsuccessful so far. Do you have any idea ? Thanks Jim (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmynath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SU command in non interactive mode

Can i run the SU command in a non interactive mode. What i want to do is to pass the username and the password as commandline or batch parameters. Please let me if its possible and how to pass them. A sample file will be appreciated. Thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitag
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make interactive shell script a automated one?

Hi, I am new to shell scripting.I have written a very simple shell scipt that asks for the username and password on executing. i.e echo "Enter username :" read usrname; echol "Enter password :"; read passwd; echo usrname; echo passwd; but now I want to make it automatic , such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup has a terrible bad performance compared with interactive command, why?

I have a strange situation. I'm running a shell script containing several data uploads (using Oracle sqlloader utility). This script is being run on a Red Hat server. I tried to run it in background: $ nohup upload.sh & This script uploads some thousands files. After several hours I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: viniciov
0 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to write script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
8 Replies

6. AIX

Non interactive command output using script command ?

Hello, Script command helps to save command output to file. (Redicection doesn't work in this case). Besides interactive shell 'recording', Linux script command has "-c" option which allows to record output of some non-interactive command. The problem is that AIX script command variant... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make command line interactive?

I have a file with stats for different month, I use the cat and grep combination to search for different month. cat <file> | grep "April" cat <file> | grep "May" cat <file> | grep "June" etc. How do you make this command interactive. So that I can give the values for the search. Thanks... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: purelltab
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect command use for interactive mode of scripting

Hi All, I am writing a script(Auto_Installation.sh) which is calling one another script (./update_manager /spare/install/HO7/PME_Response_file.txt) Now the issue is result of (./update_manager /spare/install/HO7/PME_Response_file.txt) script is ##########################################... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruvak
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using an interactive command

Hello experts, I have a to write script for monitoring, the script would use a command and I plan to write the script as follows while true do command -arg sleep 2 clear done The output would be set up on a screen for monitoring. However the issue is that the command used in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-interactive pkgadd not working.

Inorder to make the pkgadd non-interactive i tried couple of things but both failed. 1. sudo pkgadd -n /u/mont/admin -d /u/mont/dbprd.pkg pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in </var/spool/pkg> 2. yes all | sudo pkgadd -a /u/mont/admin -d /u/mont/dbprd.pkg ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
0 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     PIVOT_ROOT(2)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root file system SYNOPSIS
int pivot_root(const char *new_root, const char *put_old); Note: There is no glibc wrapper for this system call; see NOTES. DESCRIPTION
pivot_root() moves the root file system of the calling process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system of the calling process. The typical use of pivot_root() is during system startup, when the system mounts a temporary root file system (e.g., an initrd), then mounts the real root file system, and eventually turns the latter into the current root of all relevant processes or threads. pivot_root() may or may not change the current root and the current working directory of any processes or threads which use the old root directory. The caller of pivot_root() must ensure that processes with root or current working directory at the old root operate correctly in either case. An easy way to ensure this is to change their root and current working directory to new_root before invoking pivot_root(). The paragraph above is intentionally vague because the implementation of pivot_root() may change in the future. At the time of writing, pivot_root() changes root and current working directory of each process or thread to new_root if they point to the old root directory. This is necessary in order to prevent kernel threads from keeping the old root directory busy with their root and current working direc- tory, even if they never access the file system in any way. In the future, there may be a mechanism for kernel threads to explicitly relinquish any access to the file system, such that this fairly intrusive mechanism can be removed from pivot_root(). Note that this also applies to the calling process: pivot_root() may or may not affect its current working directory. It is therefore rec- ommended to call chdir("/") immediately after pivot_root(). The following restrictions apply to new_root and put_old: - They must be directories. - new_root and put_old must not be on the same file system as the current root. - put_old must be underneath new_root, that is, adding a nonzero number of /.. to the string pointed to by put_old must yield the same directory as new_root. - No other file system may be mounted on put_old. See also pivot_root(8) for additional usage examples. If the current root is not a mount point (e.g., after chroot(2) or pivot_root(), see also below), not the old root directory, but the mount point of that file system is mounted on put_old. new_root does not have to be a mount point. In this case, /proc/mounts will show the mount point of the file system containing new_root as root (/). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
pivot_root() may return (in errno) any of the errors returned by stat(2). Additionally, it may return: EBUSY new_root or put_old are on the current root file system, or a file system is already mounted on put_old. EINVAL put_old is not underneath new_root. ENOTDIR new_root or put_old is not a directory. EPERM The calling process does not have the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability. VERSIONS
pivot_root() was introduced in Linux 2.3.41. CONFORMING TO
pivot_root() is Linux-specific and hence is not portable. NOTES
Glibc does not provide a wrapper for this system call; call it using syscall(2). BUGS
pivot_root() should not have to change root and current working directory of all other processes in the system. Some of the more obscure uses of pivot_root() may quickly lead to insanity. SEE ALSO
chdir(2), chroot(2), stat(2), initrd(4), pivot_root(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-07-13 PIVOT_ROOT(2)