Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Email Notifications on Cron Bash Error Only cp mv rsync Post 302990986 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 4th of February 2017 10:33:47 AM
Old 02-04-2017
All of those commands return non-zero on error.

See rsync(1) - Linux manual page near the bottom for error return values.

rsync has a huge range of uses and many, many options. mv and cp work the same, i.e., return non-zero on error. We cannot provide guidance on setting up a script, but generally you can set up an error checking function in bash like this

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# bash function to check for errors - name capitalized to stand out in code
# usage:
# called  right after a cp, mv or rsync command, 
#   LINENO is an internal bash variable,  $? is the exit status of the command.
#   
#   ERR_CHK $LINENO $? is how to call this
ERR_CHK()  
{
    if [ $2 -gt 0 ]; then
       echo "Script name failed at line $1" | mailx -s 'cron job failure' me@myemailaddress.com
       exit 1
    fi    
}

# later on in the script call it
cp somefile anotherfile
ERR_CHK $LINENO $?

mv something somewhere 
ERR_CHK $LINENO $?

rsync [ a huge bunch of options and parameters ]
ERR_CHK $LINENO $?

Have fun.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

trying to turn email notifications off

I'm trying to disable the email notifications; despite going into my control panel and selecting NO next to Use 'Email Notification' by default? I keep getting email notifications anyway! And I know I've never selected the checkbox next to Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oombera
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to prevent multiple email notifications from monitoring script

Hi everyone, I am in the process of trying to decide the correct way to solve a particular scripting/email issue I have and would appreciate any advice. We have a cronjob running every 10 mins to check disk size on the server and if this exceeds a certain percentage then it will email a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: si_linux
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Servers, email notifications

Hi. On 09-05-2007 Neo posted that new servers were on their way. 1) It would be nice to hear of occasional progress. As far as I can tell, there has not been much of a change. The notice that is posted every now and then talks about a new server "this week". (In fact as I was previewing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] rsync - error on destination

Hi everyone, and thanks to all for your assistance. I have a problem with the rsync command. I want to make a backup of a "source" directory in a "destination" directory. I want to specify: "absolute path of destination" (identified by a ~): ~/Destination or a "relative path of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PaganoM
0 Replies

5. AIX

Crontab - Email notifications by alternate user

Hi, I have a crontab which sents email to a group in a certain interval. The email contains my user id in 'from' field of email - because my user crontab. I don't have root access for that AIX 5.3 host - and should have to change 'from' field to either 'root' or any other common names. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasukv
4 Replies

6. Solaris

OPS Center Email Notifications

Hi, Does any one know how to configure email notifications (to exchange) in Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g OPS Center? I have gone through the documentation and have done everything it asked, but still no notifications via email. I get the following error: At the OS level i tried sending email... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
20 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Fail2ban: email notifications and banning ssh IP logins

Hi all. I am using Cygwin in Windows 7 and am trying to setup fail2ban so that I can ban foreign IP addresses under SSH, also getting email notifications. I downloaded fail2ban and installed it. I then created jail.local copy from jail.conf and changed some values in jail.local. Now when I try to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: synthesis
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Email notifications of PAX backups

I have just switched my production server from using the br_backup script that uses fbackup to the fs_backup script that uses PAX. Things seem to work fine and test restores are successful, but I'm not getting a daily e-mail with the backup results that I used to get from the br_backup script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jduehmig
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Email notifications when new directory is created.

Hi Team, Can you please help me on this, I want to receive an email notification whenever new directory is created under the path /home/data. Am using bash shell. We are not sure about the directory name. When ever any new directory is created, scrip should monitor for new directory and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dhivyaprabha
1 Replies
rdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  rdiff(1)

NAME
rdiff - compute and apply signature-based file differences SYNOPSYS
rdiff [options] signature old-file signature-file rdiff [options] delta signature-file new-file delta-file rdiff [options] patch basis-file delta-file new-file USAGE
You can use rdiff to update files, much like rsync does. However, unlike rsync, rdiff puts you in control. There are three steps to updating a file: signature, delta, and patch. DESCRIPTION
In every case where a filename must be specified, - may be used instead to mean either standard input or standard output as appropriate. Be aware that if you do this, you'll need to terminate your options with -- or rdiff will think you are passing it an empty option. RETURN VALUE
0 for successful completion, 1 for environmental problems (file not found, invalid options, IO error, etc), 2 for a corrupt file and 3 for an internal error or unhandled situation in librsync or rdiff. SEE ALSO
librsync(3) AUTHOR
Martin Pool <mbp@samba.org> The original rsync algorithm was discovered by Andrew Tridgell. rdiff development has been supported by Linuxcare, Inc and VA Linux Systems. $Date: 2002/01/25 21:25:34 $ rdiff(1)