Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need BASH Script Help to Move Files While Creating Directories Post 302990977 by Don Cragun on Friday 3rd of February 2017 08:44:30 PM
Old 02-03-2017
Note also that if the source and destination directories are on different filesystems, the mv utility will internally act as though cp and rm (and, possibly, chmod) had been done instead).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to move files in different directories

Hi, I have various log files in different paths. e.g. a/b/c/d/e/server.log a/b/c/d/f/server.log a/b/c/d/g/server.log a/b/c/h/e/server.log a/b/c/h/f/server.log a/b/c/h/g/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log and above these have an archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc01
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for testing existence of files/folders and creating if neither exist

Hi, I am new to shell-scripting, and doing a lot of reading. I am having some trouble getting started with a simple testing of scripting. I have been experimenting with if, loops, for, test, etc., but still unsure. I seem to have the hang of it when it comes to creating a single file or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move directories along with files/specific files

I would like to transfer all files ending with .log from /tmp and to /tmp/archive (using find ) The directory structure looks like :- /tmp a.log b.log c.log /abcd d.log e.log When I tried the following command , it movies all the log files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
8 Replies

7. Programming

Script for creating a directory & move the .tif files in it.

Hi Team, I have thousands of TIF files which are converted from PDF. Below is a sample of it. LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320001.tif LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320002.tif LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320003.tif LH9411_ANGENIAHUTCHINSON_2012041812102510250001.tif... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move multipe files to corresponding directories

Hi, In a parent directory there are several files in the form IDENTIFIER1x IDENTIFIER1.yyy IDENTIFIER1_Z, etc IDENTIFIER2x IDENTIFIER2.yyy IDENTIFIER2_Z, etc IDENTIFIER3x IDENTIFIER3.yyy, IDENTIFIER3_Z, etcIn the same parent directory there are corresponding directories named... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirospap
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move several files into specific directories with a loop

Hello, I'm a first time poster looking for help in scripting a task in my daily routine. I am new in unix but i am attracted to its use as a mac user. Bear with me... I have several files (20) that I manually drag via the mouse into several named directories over a network. I've used rsync... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: SonnyClark
14 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)