Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl error in batch command but works one at a time Post 302990891 by Corona688 on Thursday 2nd of February 2017 10:24:49 AM
Old 02-02-2017
That is not Perl. The membrane-thin wrapper of Perl serves literally no purpose. That is nothing but shell code. If you write the loop inside shell you'll save so much trouble and CPU time.

I too made this error when first learning to program in Perl and shell. Learn a little more shell and it will make more sense.

You can also split across multiple lines for readability by putting backslash-newline wherever you need to split it.
Code:
while read LINE
do
        echo perl table_annovar.pl -vcfinput "$LINE" humandb/ -buildver hg19 -arg '-hgvs',,,,, -remove -protocol \
                IDP.refGene,avsnp147,popfreq_all_20150413,spidex,dbnsfp33a,clinvar_20161128 \
                -operation g,f,f,f,f,f -otherinfo -nastring .
done < target.txt

Remove the echo once you've tested and made sure it does what you want.

Last edited by Corona688; 02-02-2017 at 11:32 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

time stamp perl script error out of range 1..31

Hi, while running the perl script i am getting this error message , Day '' out of range 1..31 at rsty.sh line 44 what do iam missing in the script, any suggestion #!/usr/bin/perl use Time::Local; my $wday = $ARGV; my $month = $ARGV; # convert the month shortname into 0-11 number if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saha
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Strange- RCP command works every other time

This just started happening. I use the rcp command to copy a file from one server to another. Now when I use the command, every other time I execute the exact same command I get the error: remshd: login correct Example: 1. rcp testfile server2:/db/tmp (Work ok, verified file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrowland
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/unix: script in command line works but not in perl

so in unix this command works works and shows me a list of directories find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt but when i try running a perl script to run this command my $query = 'find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error piping to bc on command line - works when assigned to var

I have a script which outputs some timing data a line at a time. There are approx. 10 lines echoed, each line looks something like this: 0.741 http://checkip.dyndns.org 94.170.119.226Since I needed to add all the values in the first column, I piped the output to grep, matching and printing the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
7 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Command works on CMD line but not in batch?

Hi All, This command works when I type it on but when I run the batch file it doesn't..any ideas why? attrib.exe * | find /c /v "" >filecount.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp script hangs for first time,but works every second time

Hi I have an ftp script which works fine when i execute through a test scheduler(UC4), but when i run it through the prod scheduler(UC4), it hungs indefinetely, when we cancel the job and re-run it it works perfectly fine. here is the code,, any idea why this is happening ???? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: selvankj
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xentop Batch Time Display Help

I would like to be able to display the local time (or anytime for that matter) when I run Xentop in batch mode. Is that possible? (In other words, when I look back at the data, I want to be able to tell what time that the output was displayed). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Coyote2012
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Command works in terminal, but not in shell script

Hi, the following command works in the terminal no problem. samtools view -h rawlib.bam | perl -ne '{ @line = split( /\s+/ ); $match = 0; while( $line =~ /(\d+)M/g ) { $match = $match + $1 } if( $match >= 80 || $_ =~ /^\@/ ) { print $_ } }' | java -Xmx12G -jar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in bash that works only some of the time

I ran this script yesterday (in the background) /usr/bin/nohup myfilelocation/myscriptname.sh & the script worked perfectly. i ran it today (also in the background) and just sat there. So i killed it and ran it normally and it worked perfectly. Anyone suggest why it just sat there and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: twinion
8 Replies
ECHO(1) 							   User Commands							   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [SHORT-OPTION]... [STRING]... echo LONG-OPTION DESCRIPTION
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of backslash escapes -E disable interpretation of backslash escapes (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If -e is in effect, the following sequences are recognized: NNN the character whose ASCII code is NNN (octal) \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey. REPORTING BUGS
Report echo bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for echo is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and echo programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'echo invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 ECHO(1)