Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Cloning an empty sever (except OS) onto a smaller drive? Post 302990863 by xdawg on Wednesday 1st of February 2017 07:39:30 PM
Old 02-01-2017
Cloning an empty sever (except OS) onto a smaller drive?

Actually this is a Centos 6.x question, but I think it fits here.

I have a client that has a pretty beefy server that will be running all sorts of VMs once I unleash it to the developers. For several reasons, they would like to do a complete clone of the server as is right now, that is with just the Centos OS installed and before anything else (including driver updates etc, as the video card Tesla P100 only runs properly with very specific drivers and doesn't have a whole lot of support just yet).

All that said, the company that custom built the server installed the OS on a 4TB drive. Can I just clone the system as is, onto a smaller, say 1TB external USB drive? This image will never get any bigger, the whole purpose is just to capture the server as is, in it's most minimal/untouched state in case they want to roll back to it at any time.

Will this work (thinking of using CloneZilla), or is this just a massive potential danger waiting to happen?

PS I suppose I should also mention, that there are four additional high performance drives in the server as well, right now they aren't doing anything/empty (and will be empty for the purposes of this clone, but they are mounted).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on a different Sever

Guys, I want to run a script located on a different server from my pc. Let say the server has an IP of 1.1.10.2/16 and the script path is: /home/user/bin/check.sh The script scans for all available devices on the lan. My pc has an IP of 1.1.15.4/16 and I can ping the sever and can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
3 Replies

2. AIX

find the IP's on the sever

Hi , I am working on AIx server which is connected to another network which is a stock market via leased line , From my side I connect to the server locally but what i need is to know the ip whic the server connect to the stock market how I can Know this ???? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Cloning the root drive - Help Plz

I use Sunfire V480R , and i am seeing lot of scsi transport errors for the root drive & i think it is going to die . the system is having 2 drives & the second drive is kept unused . can someone guide me how do i clone the root drive to the seconddrive and make that bootable . (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
13 Replies

4. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cloning ATAPI drive, SunOs 5.7

I'm trying to image one hard drive to another using SunOs 5.7. I think I've read all of the forum entries that relate to my questions, but I do not find an effective solution to the problem. after I verified my drives had the same geometry and did my analyze to resolve original read errors on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nix8me
0 Replies

6. Solaris

migrating zpool to new smaller drive

i have my zpool datapool created on larger 2TB sata drive which has only 100g of data , now we are planning to move to smaller & faster 300gb sas drive .. is there a way to migrate the data with out down time .. i have done this on equal sized drive by attaching the 2nd drive as mirror and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file in other sever

Hi All, I have totally two server. First server name is ABC which contains the file name is Sum.txt and Second server name is Sun here one file generate during the runtime. Currently I am in First Server. Now, I need to compare the server one file (Sum.txt) with server two file. If it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
2 Replies

8. BSD

Ping remote sever, nc, telnet, whatever

I put this thread to shell and bsd, because I want to resolve this matter on bsd. May somebody can explain to me how to ping a remote server, in unix. BTW the following code examples were tried on a linux system as well, with the same output, nothing. But on my bsd are not installed nmap neither... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LAMP Sever

How do I install a LAMP server on a new installation of Debian 9 using the lalest versions of AMP? Here is what I have. Corrections please. MYSQL apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client You can verify the MySQL server status using command: systemctl status mysql ------- PHP7... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
0 Replies
CLONE(8)							    NUT Manual								  CLONE(8)

NAME
clone - UPS driver clone NOTE
This man page only documents the specific features of the clone driver. For information about the core driver, see nutupsdrv(8). DESCRIPTION
This driver, which sits on top of another driver socket, allows users to group clients to a particular outlet of a device and deal with this output as if it was a normal UPS. EXTRA ARGUMENTS
This driver supports the following settings: load.off=command Recommended. Set the command on the "real" UPS driver that will be used to switch off the outlet. You need both load.off and load.on in order to power cycle the outlet. Otherwise, shutting down the clients powered by an outlet is a one way street (see IMPORTANT). load.on=command Recommended. Set the command on the "real" UPS driver that will be used to switch on the outlet. You need both load.off and load.on in order to power cycle the outlet. Otherwise, shutting down the clients powered by an outlet is a one way street (see IMPORTANT). load.status=value Recommended. Set the variable on the "real" UPS driver that will be used to indicate the outlet status (i.e. on/off). If not specified, the clone driver will attempt to keep track of the outlet status, but this is less reliable. offdelay=num Set the timer (in seconds) before the outlet is turned off after the shutdown condition (OB LB) for this outlet is met or a command to shutdown was issued. Defaults to 120 seconds. ondelay=num Set the timer (in seconds) for the outlet to switch on in case the power returns after the oulet has been switched off. Defaults to 30 seconds. mincharge=value Set the remaining battery level when the clone UPS switches to LB (percent). minruntime=value Set the remaining battery runtime when the clone UPS switches to LB (seconds). IMPLEMENTATION
The port specification in the ups.conf(5) reference the driver socket that the "real" UPS driver is using. For example: [realups] driver = usbhid-ups port = auto [clone-outlet-1] driver = clone port = usbhid-ups-realups load.on = outlet.1.load.on load.off = outlet.1.load.off load.status = outlet.1.status [...] IMPORTANT
Unlike a real UPS, you should not configure a upsmon master for this driver. When a upsmon master sees the OB LB flags and tells the upsd server it is OK to initiate the shutdown sequence, the server will latch the FSD status and it will not be possible to restart the systems connected without restarting the upsd server. This will be a problem if the power returns after the clone UPS initiated the shutdown sequence on it's outlet, but returns before the real UPS begins shutting down. The solution is in the clone driver, that will insert the FSD flag if needed without the help of a upsmon master. CAVEATS
The clone UPS will follow the status on the real UPS driver. You can only make the clone UPS shutdown earlier than the real UPS driver, not later. If the real UPS driver initiates a shutdown, the clone UPS driver will immediately follow. Be aware that the commands to shutdown/restart an outlet on the real UPS drivers are not affected, so if you tell the real UPS driver to shutdown the outlet of the clone UPS driver, your clients will lose power without warning. AUTHOR
Arjen de Korte <adkorte-guest@alioth.debian.org> SEE ALSO
upscmd(1), upsrw(1), ups.conf(5), nutupsdrv(8) Internet Resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 CLONE(8)