Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Cloning an empty sever (except OS) onto a smaller drive? Post 302990863 by xdawg on Wednesday 1st of February 2017 07:39:30 PM
Old 02-01-2017
Cloning an empty sever (except OS) onto a smaller drive?

Actually this is a Centos 6.x question, but I think it fits here.

I have a client that has a pretty beefy server that will be running all sorts of VMs once I unleash it to the developers. For several reasons, they would like to do a complete clone of the server as is right now, that is with just the Centos OS installed and before anything else (including driver updates etc, as the video card Tesla P100 only runs properly with very specific drivers and doesn't have a whole lot of support just yet).

All that said, the company that custom built the server installed the OS on a 4TB drive. Can I just clone the system as is, onto a smaller, say 1TB external USB drive? This image will never get any bigger, the whole purpose is just to capture the server as is, in it's most minimal/untouched state in case they want to roll back to it at any time.

Will this work (thinking of using CloneZilla), or is this just a massive potential danger waiting to happen?

PS I suppose I should also mention, that there are four additional high performance drives in the server as well, right now they aren't doing anything/empty (and will be empty for the purposes of this clone, but they are mounted).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on a different Sever

Guys, I want to run a script located on a different server from my pc. Let say the server has an IP of 1.1.10.2/16 and the script path is: /home/user/bin/check.sh The script scans for all available devices on the lan. My pc has an IP of 1.1.15.4/16 and I can ping the sever and can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
3 Replies

2. AIX

find the IP's on the sever

Hi , I am working on AIx server which is connected to another network which is a stock market via leased line , From my side I connect to the server locally but what i need is to know the ip whic the server connect to the stock market how I can Know this ???? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Cloning the root drive - Help Plz

I use Sunfire V480R , and i am seeing lot of scsi transport errors for the root drive & i think it is going to die . the system is having 2 drives & the second drive is kept unused . can someone guide me how do i clone the root drive to the seconddrive and make that bootable . (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
13 Replies

4. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cloning ATAPI drive, SunOs 5.7

I'm trying to image one hard drive to another using SunOs 5.7. I think I've read all of the forum entries that relate to my questions, but I do not find an effective solution to the problem. after I verified my drives had the same geometry and did my analyze to resolve original read errors on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nix8me
0 Replies

6. Solaris

migrating zpool to new smaller drive

i have my zpool datapool created on larger 2TB sata drive which has only 100g of data , now we are planning to move to smaller & faster 300gb sas drive .. is there a way to migrate the data with out down time .. i have done this on equal sized drive by attaching the 2nd drive as mirror and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file in other sever

Hi All, I have totally two server. First server name is ABC which contains the file name is Sum.txt and Second server name is Sun here one file generate during the runtime. Currently I am in First Server. Now, I need to compare the server one file (Sum.txt) with server two file. If it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
2 Replies

8. BSD

Ping remote sever, nc, telnet, whatever

I put this thread to shell and bsd, because I want to resolve this matter on bsd. May somebody can explain to me how to ping a remote server, in unix. BTW the following code examples were tried on a linux system as well, with the same output, nothing. But on my bsd are not installed nmap neither... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LAMP Sever

How do I install a LAMP server on a new installation of Debian 9 using the lalest versions of AMP? Here is what I have. Corrections please. MYSQL apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client You can verify the MySQL server status using command: systemctl status mysql ------- PHP7... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
0 Replies
ypset(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 ypset(1M)

NAME
ypset - point ypbind at a particular server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ypset [-d ypdomain] [-h host] server DESCRIPTION
In order to run ypset, ypbind must be initiated with the -ypset or -ypsetme options. See ypbind(1M). ypset tells ypbind to get NIS services for the specified ypdomain from the ypserv process running on server. If server is down, or is not running ypserv, this might not be dis- covered until an NIS client process tries to obtain a binding for the domain. At this point, the binding set by ypset is tested by ypbind. If the binding is invalid, ypbind attempts to rebind for the same domain. ypset is useful for binding a client node that is not on a broadcast net, or is on a broadcast net that is not running an NIS server host. It is also useful for debugging NIS client applications, for instance, where an NIS map exists only at a single NIS server host. Where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, ypbind can rebind to another host, even while you attempt to find out if the ypset operation succeeded. For example, if you enter the ypset command below, you might get the subsequent response from ypwhich: example% ypset host1 example% ypwhich host2 The sequence shown above is a function of the NIS subsystem's attempt to load-balance among the available NIS servers, and occurs when host1 does not respond to ypbind because it is not running ypserv (or is overloaded), and host2, running ypserv, obtains the binding. server indicates which NIS server to bind to, and must be specified as a name or an IP address. This works only if the node has a current valid binding for the domain in question and ypbind has been set to allow use of ypset. In most cases, server should be specified as an IP address. ypset tries to bind over a connectionless transport. The NIS library call, yp_all(), uses connection-oriented transport and derives the NIS server's address based on the connectionless address supplied by ypset. Refer to ypfiles(4) for an overview of the NIS name service. OPTIONS
-d ypdomain Use ypdomain, instead of the default domain. -h host Set ypbind's binding on host, instead of locally. Specify host as a name. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ypwhich(1), ypfiles(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 ypset(1M)