Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Cannot get sma (net-snmp) service to start. Post 302990852 by Zeus18 on Wednesday 1st of February 2017 04:08:36 PM
Old 02-01-2017
Cannot get sma (net-snmp) service to start.

Hey everyone, so I recently installed sma and disabled snmpdx for system monitoring in Solarwinds on 7 Oracle servers running Solaris 10. It was running just fine until we had to shutdown all systems and power back up (hurricane). Since then I cannot get the sma service to start, it goes into maintenance mode everytime. I've ensured snmpdx is disabled and there have been no patches/packages installed recently. Here's some detail...

Code:
#svcs -a | grep sma:
maintenance 14:44:29 svc:/application/management/sma:default

#svcs -xv
svc/application/management/sma:default (net-snmp daemon) 
State: maintenance since "today's date"
Reason: Start method failed repeatedly, last exited with status 137
See: /var/svc/log/application-management-sma:default.log
Impact: This service is not running

Checking the log, the service tries to start, then fails with this error:
Code:
ld.so.1: snmpd: fatal: libnetsnmpagent.so.5: open failed: No such file or directory...killed

I can cd to that directory and the file is there with proper permissions, I removed it's dependency package (SUNWmibii) and re-added it...it worked until I repeated the same steps on another machine which did not work so I came back to this machine and restarted the service just to ensure the fix was good. It failed again. Deleting that file and re-adding it didn't work the second time on the same machine.

I've been troubleshooting for a week now and now have people on my butt about a fix, I'm stumped! Any help is much appreciated Smilie

Last edited by Zeus18; 02-02-2017 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: code tags

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

net-snmp

Does anybody know where I can get net-snmp for compaq tru64 V4.0G? I am having a difficult time locating it. Can it run on tru64 V4.0G? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

2. Solaris

net-snmp-5.1.2 Solaris 9

All, I downloaded and installed the following net-snmp from the sourceforge.net website on a Solaris 9 server with the entire collection installed: net-snmp-5.1.2-SunOS_5.9_sun4u.tar.gz with no errors. I attempt to run snmpget and I get the following error: ld.so.1: snmpget: fatal:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

3. Solaris

net-snmp on solaris 8

hello I am running solaris 8 sparc. I installed net-snmp 5.4.1 (compiled it from tar file). When I do snmpwalk from another server, I receive a partial list of OIDs then it stops and gives 'timeout. No response...' another snmpwalk will directly timeouts. I compiled again the binaries... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. AIX

Net snmp bug

Hi Admins, I have installed net-snmp 5.5 binary in AIX 5.5 box and configured using snmpconf command.When i run ./snmpd -f -Lo -c /etc/snmpd.conf m getting below error. nlist err: neither proc nor _proc found After surfing i came to know the same is a bug.Please anyone tell me how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newaix
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Net-snmp 5.7.2 on HP-UX 11.31

Hi All, I have an issue with net-snmp communication from a monitoring server to HP UX server. Following are the details HP - UX server : 172.16.184.34 Monitoring Server : 172.16.5.57 (Solarwinds Application)I'm running HP-UX's snmp on udp port 161 and net-snmp on udp 1161. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
0 Replies
init.sma(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      init.sma(1M)

NAME
init.sma - start and stop the snmpd daemon SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d/init.sma start | stop | restart | status DESCRIPTION
The init.sma utility is run automatically during installation and each time the system is rebooted. This utility manages the snmpd. See snmpd(1M). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: start Starts the snmpd daemon. stop Stops the snmpd daemon. restart Stops then starts the snmpd daemon. status Reports the snmpd daemon's status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsmagt | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
snmpd(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Mar 2003 init.sma(1M)