Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Multi-terabyte filesystem space increase on AIX7.1 Post 302990851 by agent.kgb on Wednesday 1st of February 2017 03:16:32 PM
Old 02-01-2017
You are right, it would not matter at all, but sometimes I'm very conservative.

If you make it in one step, it takes a long time and if something goes wrong, you have to repeat the whole operation from the very beginning.

If you make it in smaller steps, in case of errors, you repeat just the last small step. If e.g. you don't have enough free space in /tmp, you fail during the first operation. If you wrong calculated the free space in the volume group (you know 14 TB are not always 14 TB ;-) you repeat only the last step, decreasing the size of the additional space.

And you can always write in a single line, something like:
Code:
# for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ; do if ! chfs -a size=+2000G /myfs ; then print -u2 f.ck && break ; fi ; done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reason for continuously increase filesystem size?

Hi my file system size /hd4 is keep on increasing continuously , i tried all the performance related command to identify which process is currently running........ for every minute my FS(/hd4) size is increasing ?what could be the problem? how to diagnose it ? is there any specific command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixteam
3 Replies

2. Solaris

What is the command to increase filesystem on solaris

I wanted to know what is the process or command to increase a filesystem on solaris. For example the /tmp directory. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: strikelit
3 Replies

3. Solaris

how to increase the filesystem size under veritas control

Hi all, aloe:root-> df �k Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on /dev/vx/dsk/rootvol 8254263 2064133 6107588 26% / /proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
2 Replies

4. Solaris

increase/decrease filesystem

Hi All, I need to increase the filesystem of / and /var (two different slices)? Space will be coming from /home slice so I need to decrease it. Is that possible without reinstallation or in a single-user-mode? Any idea or link please. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to increase the filesystem size?

Hi.. I want to increase the file system size of any filesystem online, without using the Volume manager like LVMs, is it possible? & if yes then how? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amol21
3 Replies

6. AIX

How to increase the filesystem size in HACMP

How to increase the filesystem size in HACMP. what is the difference between normal chfs command and increase the filesystem size in HACMP. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
4 Replies

7. Solaris

How to increase or decrease inode number of the particular UFS filesystem

Hi Gurus I want to know the command & tips regarding, how to increase or decrease inode number of the particular ufs filesystem. Is it possible to do it in a live/production environment. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Increase the filesystem size

Hi I am using oracle linux 6.4. My hard drive capacity is 500 GB. my filesystem size onbly 50GB. I would like to extend my filesystem size to around 100GB. I tried many codes but still I am not able. this is the output of df -h : Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: farshad
6 Replies

9. AIX

Increase filesystem and or logical volume

Hi all, Do i need to increase the logical volume each time i increase the filesystem? or is enough to increase the filesystem and the logical volume get increase automatically? extendlv hd4 1 chfs -a size=2G /tmp or just chfs -a size=2G /tmp Code tags! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
4 Replies

10. AIX

Increase filesystem size AIX 5.3

I an trying to increase the file size on an AIX 5.3 box. I think i am missing the correct syntax for the command. Here is was i am trying on a test box # lsvg rootvg VOLUME GROUP: rootvg VG IDENTIFIER: 0000bd8b00004c00000 0010d8ed7a76e VG STATE: active ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fierfek
3 Replies
gfs2_grow(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      gfs2_grow(8)

NAME
gfs2_grow - Expand a GFS2 filesystem SYNOPSIS
gfs2_grow [OPTION]... <DEVICE|MOUNTPOINT>... DESCRIPTION
gfs2_grow is used to expand a GFS2 filesystem after the device upon which the filesystem resides has also been expanded. By running gfs2_grow on a GFS2 filesystem, you are requesting that any spare space between the current end of the filesystem and the end of the device is filled with a newly initialized GFS2 filesystem extension. When this operation is complete, the resource group index for the filesystem is updated so that all nodes in the cluster can use the extra storage space that has been added. You may only run gfs2_grow on a mounted filesystem; expansion of unmounted filesystems is not supported. You only need to run gfs2_grow on one node in the cluster. All the other nodes will see the expansion has occurred and automatically start to use the newly available space. You must be superuser to execute gfs2_grow. The gfs2_grow tool tries to prevent you from corrupting your filesystem by checking as many of the likely problems as it can. When expanding a filesystem, only the last step of updating the resource index affects the currently mounted filesystem and so failure part way through the expansion process should leave your filesystem in its original unexpanded state. You can run gfs2_grow with the -T flag to get a display of the current state of a mounted GFS2 filesystem. The gfs2_grow tool uses the resource group (RG) size that was originally calculated when mkfs.gfs2 was done. This allows tools like fsck.gfs2 to better ensure the integrity of the file system. Since the new free space often does not lie on even boundaries based on that RG size, there may be some unused space on the device after gfs2_grow is run. OPTIONS
-D Print out debugging information about the filesystem layout. -h Prints out a short usage message and exits. -q Be quiet. Don't print anything. -T Test. Do all calculations, but do not write any data to the disk and do not expand the filesystem. This is used to discover what the tool would have done were it run without this flag. -V Version. Print out version information, then exit. BUGS
There is no way to shrink a GFS2 filesystem. SEE ALSO
mkfs.gfs2(8) gfs2_jadd(8) gfs2_grow(8)