Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk printing output to new line Post 302990774 by Corona688 on Tuesday 31st of January 2017 04:45:10 PM
Old 01-31-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur328
Thanks to both of you...

I got the answer as to why it was splitting.

By default, a Bash for loop splits on all whitespace.
Your question did not involve a bash for loop. Had you showed what you were actually doing, we might have guessed.

You shouldn't be doing that anyway. That's a useless use of cat, a dangerous use of backticks, and waste of memory (slurping an entire file into memory to deal with it). You didn't find the shell script construct actually intended for this job:

Code:
while read ENTIRELINE
do
        echo "line read: $LINE"
done < inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing a line number using awk

Hi Chaps, I'm trying to print the line number of a comma delimited file where the second field in the line is blank using AWK. Here is the code I have so far where am I going wrong. It is the last column in the file. nawk -v x==0 'BEGIN {FS=",";OFS=","} x++ if ($2 == " ") print $x' bob.tst ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjsha1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a specific line using AWK

Hi, I have a script that fetches only specific information from fcinfo command. Below is a portion of the script. #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x HBA_COUNT=`sudo fcinfo hba-port | grep -i state | awk 'END{print NR}'` echo "$HBA_COUNT HBAs exist" echo '........' INDEX=1 while $INDEX -le... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake_won
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing portion of the output usind sed/awk

friends, i am a newbie in scripting. could someone help me in selecting only the last column of below ps command output ? mqm 14 16466 0 Sep 15 ? 0:01 /opt/mqm/bin/runmqlsr -r -m QMGR.INBOUNDSSL -t TCP -p 1415 -i 5.1.26.5 mqm 12 16700 0 Sep 15 ? 0:00... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unahb1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use awk for printing line from database table?

Hi , I have inserted some records in a table having column "value1 varchar2(4000)" and want to spool in a file. I have written as below set echo off set feed off set hea off set wra off set lin 500 spo temp_table and fired select query as below select value1 from temp_table; spo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: CaapAjayShukla
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maybe by AWK: printing help diagonal matrix characters into line

Hi Experts, I want to print this charts diagonal data into straight lines. This is a matrix 24X24 Horizontal and vertical. - I want to print all the diagonal cutting characters into straight line: Data: E F S S A H A L L A T M C N O T S O B O D U Q H I W I B N L O C N I L N L A N S I N... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and printing line with awk

Hi there, I'm trying to use awk to print out the entire line that contains a match to a certain regex and then append some text,plus the match to the end of the line. So far I have: awk -F: '{print "RG:Z:" $2}' file Which prints out the match I want plus the additional text, but I'm stuck... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim_lad
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to find max and printing entire line

Hi folks, I am very new to awk. I have what is probably a very simple question. I'm trying to get the max value of column 1, but also print column 2. My data looks like this: 0.044|2000-02-03 14:00:00 5.23|2000-02-03 05:45:00 5.26|2000-02-03 11:15:00 0|2000-02-01 18:30:00 So in this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amandarobe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! Printing out CSV output from awk Pattern Match

Hi, I need to search for a word using Awk and print out the line the word is in and every line after the search phrase until I hit this #------------. Then I need to send it to a csv file. So basically the input file format is like this:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: An0mander
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk printing leading tab in output

The awk below executes and produces the current output. it skips the header in row 1 and prints $4,$5,$6 and then adds the header row back. The problem is that it keeps the tailing tab and prints it in front of $1. I could add a pipe to remove the tab, but is there a better way to do it with on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)