Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Question about xterm session $HOME Post 302990773 by bodisha on Tuesday 31st of January 2017 04:31:40 PM
Old 01-31-2017
Question about xterm session $HOME

Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer me

The fast & dirty question is... Could someone please tell me which file would open an xterm session into $HOME/Desktop instead of /$HOME?

The longer version is.... I was reading about login scripts when I noticed my SSH sessions logged into $HOME while my xterm session on the console logged into /$HOME/Desktop. Initially I figured I'd find something in either the /$HOME/.bashrc, /etc/bashrc, or /etc/profile to explain it.... Which I didn't find. I figured it must be specific to something xterm is doing so I looked through .xinitrc but didn't have any luck there either. I've spent half the day trying to figure out what puts an xterm session into /$HOME/Desktop but I'm having zero luck and my OCD is going crazy about it.

I'm on Centos 7 3.10.0-327.18.2.el7.x86_64 running as a Virtualbox 5.1 guest.

Thanks!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

xterm font colors - configuration question?

When I telnet (ssh) over to my Fedora system, I find the colors horrible. For instance, regular files are white text, which is fine, but directories show up as dark blue which is virtually invisible against the black background). Additionally, when using vi, I find the colors great doing perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripley
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus session being able to see unix variables session within a script

Hi there. How do I make the DB connection see the parameter variables passed to the unix script ? The code snippet below isn't working properly. sqlplus << EOF user1@db1/pass1 BEGIN PACKAGE1.perform_updates($1,$2,$3); END; EOF Thanks in advance, Abrahao. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename Xterm terminal in VNC session

Hi All, We are using VNC viewer to login to remote server. Remote server is running with Red Hat linux 3.0. Our problem is, we are unable to rename xterm terminal so is there any way we can rename? Thanks a lot in advance for your valuable inputs. Regards, Bachegowda (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory & group in UNIX question

folks; I'm going to use LDAP on Solaris 10 to authenticate users, i have 3 questions, i'm hoping it can be possible: 1. when users login for the first time, Is there a way to auto create a home directory like "/home/"user_name" so we don't have to a create a home directory for every single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/export/home question

please could someone explain what is /export/home used for ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venhart
1 Replies

6. Solaris

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10 respectively through xmanager as a nis user, I am able to login in common desktop , but gnome session its not allowing , when I have given login credentials, its coming back to login screen, what shoul I do to allow nis... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] xclock/xcalc/xterm...process question?

I have no idea how to do this: Let's say the user opens an "xclock &" in one of my scripts and I don't want him to be able to re-open one with the script. How could I test that? Possibly with a message saying that "The <xclock(or w/e other process like xcalc)> is already running in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Difference between the desktop session and console session

what is the difference between desktop session and console session in solaris as i am wondering we use option -text for the former and -nowin for the later (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishanreddy
1 Replies
koi8rxterm(1)						      General Commands Manual						     koi8rxterm(1)

NAME
koi8rxterm - X terminal emulator for KOI8-R environments SYNOPSIS
koi8rxterm [ xterm-options ] DESCRIPTION
koi8rxterm is a wrapper around the xterm(1) program that invokes the latter program with the 'KOI8RXTerm' X resource class set. All argu- ments to koi8rxterm are passed to xterm without processing; the -class and -k8 options should not be specified because they are used by the wrapper. See the xterm manual page for more information on xterm-options. The environment's locale settings (see "ENVIRONMENT" below) are used to discern the locale's character set. If no current locale can be determined, the locale 'ru_RU.KOI8-R' (the Russian language as used in the territory of Russia, with the KOI8-R character set) is assumed. The locale(1) utility is used to determine whether the system supports the selected locale. If it does not, koi8rxterm will exit with an error and report the output of locale. Note: koi8rxterm may produce unexpected results if the current locale is set to one in which the KOI8-R character encoding is not sup- ported, or if fonts using that encoding are not available. In the Debian system, the 'xfonts-cyrillic' package provides the fonts that koi8rxterm uses by default. To change the fonts koi8rxterm uses, edit the /etc/X11/app-defaults/KOI8RXTerm file. A similar wrapper, uxterm(1), is available for Unicode UTF-8 environments. ENVIRONMENT
LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LANG The values of these variables are checked, in order, to determine the character set used by the current locale. AUTHOR
koi8rxterm was written by Branden Robinson and is very heavily based on uxterm, by Thomas Dickey. The assistance of Jurij Smakov was invaluable in sanity-checking its operation. SEE ALSO
locale(1), locale(7), uxterm(1), xterm(1) Debian Project 2004-12-19 koi8rxterm(1)