Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Noob trying to improve
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Noob trying to improve Post 302990768 by bakunin on Tuesday 31st of January 2017 03:49:52 PM
Old 01-31-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardzii
The portion on sed greediness:
As far as I understand: The more I detail what I'm looking for to the command, the more I will be able to extract what I really want.
Yes - and no. Yes, the better you define what you want the better results you will get. No, this has nothing to do with greedyness. Greedyness is the fact that if there several possible matches for a certain regexp always the LONGEST POSSIBLE one will be used.

In a regexp like /xa*y/ the a* will match all a's there are, regardless of how many there are. This is sometimes a desired effect and sometimes not. Here is an example for when it is not desired. Consider this text:

Code:
<tag>bla foo</tag> <othertag>more text</othertag>
<newtag>happy text</newtag> <moretag>just to fill in</moretag>

The task is to remove all the tags and just leave the text. The end result is like this:

Code:
bla foo more text
happy text just to fill in

Lets see: a "tag" is basically: a "<", followed by text, followed by ">". Hold on, there is an optional "/" after the opening "<" for the ending tag, but that is it, yes? Ok, this regexp will match that (the slash ("/") has to be escaped here, so that it is not confused with the "/" delimiting the regexp):

Code:
/<\/*.*>/

OK? Now let us try a simple sed-command. We will - for testing purposes - not delete the tags but overwrite them with "BLOB" to make sure we got everything right:

Code:
sed 's/<\/*.*>/BLOB/g' /path/to/file

That did really work well, did it? ;-)

Question: why were both lines changed to a single "BLOB"? Answer: because of the greedyness of regexps! What is the longest possible match for <\/*.*> in the first line?

The "<" matches the "<" at the beginning o the line.
The "\/*" matches nothing, but it is optional, so that doesn't matter.
The ".*" matches everything, until the penultimate character of the line. This is the longest possible match and the problem.
And the ">" matches - again, longest possible - the last ">" in the line, which happens to be at lines end.

Solution? Instead of ".", which matches everything, match only non-">" characters with a negated character-class:

Code:
sed 's/<\/*[^>]*>/BLOB/g' /path/to/file

Now, by encountering the first ">" the character-class "[^>]" (everything except ">") will not cover that and therefore the longest possible match is the first ">", not the last one.

Quote:
However, I'm not sure to understand why both xy and xay were matched as well? From what I understood, \(aa\) looks for at least 2 "a"s in each line doesn't it?
No. As i said at the beginning "*" means "zero or more of what is before". Before that are two a's, hence the string "aa". This string, zero times, is? ;-))

In fact, the regexp would match absolutely everything, because it effectively matches the empty string.

If you want to match at least one instance of something, you write it two times and make one optional:

Code:
/x\(aa\)*y/            # any even number of a's, including 0
/xaa\(aa\)*y/          # any even number of a's, starting with 2
/xaa*y/                # any number of a's but at least one
/xa*y/                 # any number of a's, even none at all

Quote:
I also found a way to get what I was looking for ie. each line that has at least 2 "a"s:
Code:
ardzii@debian:~$ sed -n '/\(aa\).*/p' sedgroupingtest.txt

Yes, but the reason why this worked is not what you probably believe it to be: you search for 2 a's in a row (grouped, but you could leave out the grouping here, it serves no purpose), followed by any number ("*") of any character ("."). You could have left out the .* and get the same.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

PS: if you are discouraged now and think "i'll never get that damn thing into my head" - don't be! It took all of us weeks and months to bend our brains hard enough to finally get it around thinking in sed-terms. That you dont get it in days - is, in fact, expected. Just keep trying and you will soon be able to finish my little tutorial for the next newbie for me.

Last edited by bakunin; 01-31-2017 at 05:37 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I improve this script ???

Hi all, Still a newbie and learning as I go ... as you do :) Have created this script to report on disc usage and I've just included the ChkSpace function this morning. It's the first time I've read a file (line-by-bloody-line) and would like to know if I can improve this script ? FYI - I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

improve performance by using ls better than find

Hi , i'm searching for files over many Aix servers with rsh command using this request : find /dir1 -name '*.' -exec ls {} \; and then count them with "wc" but i would improve this search because it's too long and replace directly find with ls command but "ls *. " doesn't work. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

improve this?

Wrote this script to find the date x days before or after today. Is there any way that this script can be speeded up or otherwise improved? #!/usr/bin/sh check_done() { if then daysofmth=31 elif then if ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improve Performance

hi someone tell me which ways i can improve disk I/O and system process performance.kindly refer some commands so i can do it on my test machine.thanks, Mazhar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar99
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any way to improve performance of this script

I have a data file of 2 gig I need to do all these, but its taking hours, any where i can improve performance, thanks a lot #!/usr/bin/ksh echo TIMESTAMP="$(date +'_%y-%m-%d.%H-%M-%S')" function showHelp { cat << EOF >&2 syntax extreme.sh FILENAME Specify filename to parse EOF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirababu
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to improve throughput?

I have a 10Gbps network link connecting two machines A and B. I want to transfer 20GB data from A to B using TCP. With default setting, I can use 50% bandwidth. How to improve the throughput? Is there any way to make throughput as close to 10Gbps as possible? thanks~ :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewust
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to improve the performance of script

Hi All, I have written a script as follows which is taking lot of time in executing/searching only 3500 records taken as input from one file in log file of 12 GB Approximately. Working of script is read the csv file as an input having 2 arguments which are transaction_id,mobile_number and search... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

8. AIX

improve sulog

I just wrote a very small script that improves readability on system sulog. The problem with all sulog is there is lack of clarity whether the info you are looking at is the most current. So if you just need a simple soution instead of going thru the trouble of writing a script that rotate logs and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to improve an script?

Gents. I have 2 different scripts for the same purpose: raw2csv_1 Script raw2csv_1 finish the process in less that 1 minute raw2csv_2 Script raw2csv_2 finish the process in more that 6 minutes. Can you please check if there is any option to improve the raw2csv_2. To finish the job... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve script

Gents, Is there the possibility to improve this script to be able to have same output information. I did this script, but I believe there is a very short code to get same output here my script awk -F, '{if($10>0 && $10<=15) print $6}' tmp1 | sort -k1n | awk '{a++} END { for (n in a )... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
23 Replies