Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Unable to rmlvcopy on jfs2log rootvg Post 302990748 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 31st of January 2017 11:58:11 AM
Old 01-31-2017
It's odd that it won't sync given that the disk is still listed as Active. If it were broken and unusable, you would get Failed on the output from lsvg -p rootvg

Can you show us the relevant sections from errpt -a for the failing disk and the output from lspv -M hdisk1

You might be left with starting in single-user from external media. If you can and make the volume group available, you might be able to forcibly remove it and then create a new one of the same name.

Of course, I have no way to test this theory at all. Make sure you have a working mksysb that you can boot from if need be, because you might need to DR over your existing machine. What other volume groups do you have in play?

Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Cloned Rootvg

New Question: The purpose of an alternate disk install is in my opinion to have a ready-to-use-backup and i've read that it is possible to install filesets or software on the cloned disk for testing purposal while the normal system is still running. The question is: how do you tell AIX (5.2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvanelshocht
5 Replies

2. AIX

mirror rootvg

Hello I have a question I have a box with Aix 5.3 with rootvg on mirror. I deleted a filesystem and I create a new one to install some software but when I type lsvg -l rootvg all my filesystems has mirror unless the new one. My question is I can mirror this fs only ??? or I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
9 Replies

3. AIX

Anyone know how to access rootvg?

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with an AIX system here. I have no experience with system administration of IBM stuff. Our local admin is ... um ... not available at this time. I found something online that said enter service mode - How the heck do I do that??? Why is IBM stuff lack proper... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

4. AIX

extendvg and rootvg

When attempting to extend rootvg to a new physical disk I received the following message: 0516-1162 extendvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 64 requires the creation of 1093 partitions for hdisk5. The limitation for volume group rootvg is 1016 physical partitions... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
4 Replies

5. AIX

mirroring rootvg

I would like to konw wheather below steps are sufficient for mirroring rootvg. extendvg rootvg hdisk1 mirrorvg rootvg bootlist -m normal hdisk0 hdisk1 bosboot -ad hdisk0 bosboot -ad hdisk1 or anything needs to be added. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
7 Replies

6. AIX

rootvg mirrored

I want to increase the size of /tmp by 1GB I know that the command is chfs -a size=+1G /tmp But the rootvg is mirrored and when I do a lsvg -p rootvg, I could see 2 disks. Will there be any impact if I increase the size of /tmp when the rootvg is mirrored ? Please advise. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

7. AIX

Convert rootvg to scalable

hello everyone, I have an AIX6.1 machine and i want to convert the rootvg to scalable format because i need to increase the size of specific file systems and i cannot do it with its current state. I know that in order to perform this operation the volume group must be varied off so is there a way... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
5 Replies

8. AIX

Reducing / on rootvg

The root filesystem was mirrored, someone/something stopped mirroring, and increased / and /home to ridiculous values (/ got increased to 102gb and its only using 4.3gb, so 98gb is free). Can I reduce the / (/dev/hd4) filesytem down WITHOUT corrupting the the OS? I would do a: chfs -a size=10g... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

AIX - mirror a jfs2log

Hi everybody, I have a little problem with my AIX 6.1, PowerHA 6.1 LVM mirroring. I accidentally created logical volume cpsabcd2lv with external jfs2log loglv00 in the same volume group cpsdata2vg. Then I mirrored LV cpsabcd2lv on the second LUN in VG cpsdata2vg. My journal is unmirrored and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necronomic
0 Replies
VGREDUCE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VGREDUCE(8)

NAME
vgreduce - reduce a volume group SYNOPSIS
vgreduce [-a|--all] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--removemissing] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName [Physi- calVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgreduce allows you to remove one or more unused physical volumes from a volume group. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. -a, --all Removes all empty physical volumes if none are given on command line. --removemissing Removes all missing physical volumes from the volume group, if there are no logical volumes allocated on those. This resumes normal operation of the volume group (new logical volumes may again be created, changed and so on). If this is not possible (there are logical volumes referencing the missing physical volumes) and you cannot or do not want to remove them manually, you can run this option with --force to have vgreduce remove any partial LVs. Any logical volumes and dependent snapshots that were partly on the missing disks get removed completely. This includes those parts that lie on disks that are still present. If your logical volumes spanned several disks including the ones that are lost, you might want to try to salvage data first by acti- vating your logical volumes with --partial as described in lvm (8). SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgextend(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGREDUCE(8)