Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Noob trying to improve
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Noob trying to improve Post 302990728 by RudiC on Tuesday 31st of January 2017 09:06:20 AM
Old 01-31-2017
Your first pattern doesn't match for two reasons, of which you found and (roughly) eliminated one (congrats!): As the pattern is anchored at begin-of-line with the [ICODE] ^ [/ICODE, you need to allow for the leading white space in front of the <h1 sub pattern. While you matched any character .* allowing for matches towards line end as well, an exact match with e.g. character classes like [[:blank:]]* should be preferred, allowing matches of spaces and <TAB>s only.
The other reason your pattern fails is quoting. As the sed first parameter, the script, is enclosed by single quotes. So the quotes around 'name' unquote and requote the parameter, factually removing the quotes from the string. Try either allowing for one wild card character ".name." if you're sure no other patterns will match, or use double quotes (with mayhap other side effects on the parameter) around the script including the pattern. Like:
Code:
sed -n "/^[[:blank:]]*<h1 itemprop='name'>For Sale.*$/p" file
            <h1 itemprop='name'>For Sale <span itemprop='brand'>HITACHI </span> <span itemprop='name'>AIRIS 1  Magnet</span></h1></div>

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I improve this script ???

Hi all, Still a newbie and learning as I go ... as you do :) Have created this script to report on disc usage and I've just included the ChkSpace function this morning. It's the first time I've read a file (line-by-bloody-line) and would like to know if I can improve this script ? FYI - I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

improve performance by using ls better than find

Hi , i'm searching for files over many Aix servers with rsh command using this request : find /dir1 -name '*.' -exec ls {} \; and then count them with "wc" but i would improve this search because it's too long and replace directly find with ls command but "ls *. " doesn't work. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

improve this?

Wrote this script to find the date x days before or after today. Is there any way that this script can be speeded up or otherwise improved? #!/usr/bin/sh check_done() { if then daysofmth=31 elif then if ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improve Performance

hi someone tell me which ways i can improve disk I/O and system process performance.kindly refer some commands so i can do it on my test machine.thanks, Mazhar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar99
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any way to improve performance of this script

I have a data file of 2 gig I need to do all these, but its taking hours, any where i can improve performance, thanks a lot #!/usr/bin/ksh echo TIMESTAMP="$(date +'_%y-%m-%d.%H-%M-%S')" function showHelp { cat << EOF >&2 syntax extreme.sh FILENAME Specify filename to parse EOF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirababu
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to improve throughput?

I have a 10Gbps network link connecting two machines A and B. I want to transfer 20GB data from A to B using TCP. With default setting, I can use 50% bandwidth. How to improve the throughput? Is there any way to make throughput as close to 10Gbps as possible? thanks~ :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewust
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to improve the performance of script

Hi All, I have written a script as follows which is taking lot of time in executing/searching only 3500 records taken as input from one file in log file of 12 GB Approximately. Working of script is read the csv file as an input having 2 arguments which are transaction_id,mobile_number and search... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

8. AIX

improve sulog

I just wrote a very small script that improves readability on system sulog. The problem with all sulog is there is lack of clarity whether the info you are looking at is the most current. So if you just need a simple soution instead of going thru the trouble of writing a script that rotate logs and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to improve an script?

Gents. I have 2 different scripts for the same purpose: raw2csv_1 Script raw2csv_1 finish the process in less that 1 minute raw2csv_2 Script raw2csv_2 finish the process in more that 6 minutes. Can you please check if there is any option to improve the raw2csv_2. To finish the job... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve script

Gents, Is there the possibility to improve this script to be able to have same output information. I did this script, but I believe there is a very short code to get same output here my script awk -F, '{if($10>0 && $10<=15) print $6}' tmp1 | sort -k1n | awk '{a++} END { for (n in a )... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
23 Replies
FNMATCH(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							FNMATCH(3)

NAME
fnmatch - match filename or pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch(const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function checks whether the string argument matches the pattern argument, which is a shell wildcard pattern. The flags argument modifies the behavior; it is the bitwise OR of zero or more of the following flags: FNM_NOESCAPE If this flag is set, treat backslash as an ordinary character, instead of an escape character. FNM_PATHNAME If this flag is set, match a slash in string only with a slash in pattern and not by an asterisk (*) or a question mark (?) metacharacter, nor by a bracket expression ([]) containing a slash. FNM_PERIOD If this flag is set, a leading period in string has to be matched exactly by a period in pattern. A period is considered to be leading if it is the first character in string, or if both FNM_PATHNAME is set and the period immediately follows a slash. FNM_FILE_NAME This is a GNU synonym for FNM_PATHNAME. FNM_LEADING_DIR If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is considered to be matched if it matches an initial segment of string which is followed by a slash. This flag is mainly for the internal use of glibc and is implemented only in certain cases. FNM_CASEFOLD If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is matched case-insensitively. FNM_EXTMATCH If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, extended patterns are supported, as introduced by 'ksh' and now supported by other shells. The extended format is as follows, with pattern-list being a '|' separated list of patterns. '?(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if zero or one occurrences of any of the patterns in the pattern-list match the input string. '*(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if zero or more occurrences of any of the patterns in the pattern-list match the input string. '+(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if one or more occurrences of any of the patterns in the pattern-list match the input string. '@(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if exactly one occurrence of any of the patterns in the pattern-list match the input string. '!(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if the input string cannot be matched with any of the patterns in the pattern-list. RETURN VALUE
Zero if string matches pattern, FNM_NOMATCH if there is no match or another nonzero value if there is an error. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------+---------------+--------------------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------+---------------+--------------------+ |fnmatch() | Thread safety | MT-Safe env locale | +----------+---------------+--------------------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, POSIX.2. The FNM_FILE_NAME, FNM_LEADING_DIR, and FNM_CASEFOLD flags are GNU extensions. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3), scandir(3), wordexp(3), glob(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2015-12-28 FNMATCH(3)