Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to delete empty files from specific locations Post 302990700 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 31st of January 2017 01:39:35 AM
Old 01-31-2017
It looks like the editor you used to create pathfile.txt was set up to use DOS (<carriage-return><newline> character pair) line terminators instead of UNIX (<newline> single character) line terminators. The extra <carriage-return> character at the end of the line is being interpreted as part of the pathname of the file; not as part of the line terminator.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delete empty files in a shell script

I'm trying to figure out a way to delete empty files in a directory. I have a cron that runs and creates a flat file every 15 mins. However, most times at night the flat file will be empty. I'd like to run a script to delete empty files that end with *.dat Any suggestions? Rich (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpnuge
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy similar files only both at different locations using script.

Hello, Here is the situation.............. # pwd /opt/123 # cat index.txt abc-monitor/homedir/public_html/index.php abc-monitor/homedir/public_html/test/index.php abc-monitor/homedir/public_html/test1/index.php # cp index.txt index.home # cat /root/x (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a particular string from different locations ?

I want to delete a particular string ( ex : berkely@abc.com ) from different locations and in different files in each location. Please help me ! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani_ynm
4 Replies

4. AIX

how to loop through non-empty files with shell script on AIX

I have av script that loops through some statistic files to create a report. We would like to only loop through non-empty files as these files create an empty report-line. I have figured out how to find the non-empty files, but not how to loop through only those files. Here is the code that finds... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tessa
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to rename the files in different locations

Hi everybody, I need a script for below issue: I have totally 15 different locations like */COUNTRY/in. Only COUNTRy is the variable which changes for 15 countries. For each location(one per country), there will be four files like abc_def_ddmmyyyy.txt, where ddmmyyyy is the old date. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rjanardhan83
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete empty spaces at specific column

Hi All, If anybody could help me with my scenario here. I have a statement file. Example of some content: DATE DESC Debit Credit Total Rate 02-Jan-08 Lodgement 200.00 1200.00 2.51 14-Sep-07 Withdrawal 50.00 1000.00 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yonez
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete empty files

I'm trying to write a shell script to files of zero length in a specified directory, but I keep getting errors. Would anybody be kind enough to look it over for issues? Thanks a bunch in advance. #!/bin/sh if then if then find $1 -type f -size 0 -print|xargs rm exit 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ScriptingIssues
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to remove empty files

Hi All, Can anyone please write a shell script to remove the empty files using an if condition. please help me out , urgent thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthi_murali
6 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find and delete empty files and directories

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to make a script, to remove all empty files and folders from current category. It also should show the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Itixop
2 Replies
POE::Filter::Line(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    POE::Filter::Line(3pm)

NAME
POE::Filter::Line - serialize and parse terminated records (lines) SYNOPSIS
#!perl use POE qw(Wheel::FollowTail Filter::Line); POE::Session->create( inline_states => { _start => sub { $_[HEAP]{tailor} = POE::Wheel::FollowTail->new( Filename => "/var/log/system.log", InputEvent => "got_log_line", Filter => POE::Filter::Line->new(), ); }, got_log_line => sub { print "Log: $_[ARG0] "; } } ); POE::Kernel->run(); exit; DESCRIPTION
POE::Filter::Line parses stream data into terminated records. The default parser interprets newlines as the record terminator, and the default serializer appends network newlines (CR/LF, or "x0Dx0A") to outbound records. Record terminators are removed from the data POE::Filter::Line returns. POE::Filter::Line supports a number of other ways to parse lines. Constructor parameters may specify literal newlines, regular expressions, or that the filter should detect newlines on its own. PUBLIC FILTER METHODS
POE::Filter::Line's new() method has some interesting parameters. new new() accepts a list of named parameters. In all cases, the data interpreted as the record terminator is stripped from the data POE::Filter::Line returns. "InputLiteral" may be used to parse records that are terminated by some literal string. For example, POE::Filter::Line may be used to parse and emit C-style lines, which are terminated with an ASCII NUL: my $c_line_filter = POE::Filter::Line->new( InputLiteral => chr(0), OutputLiteral => chr(0), ); "OutputLiteral" allows a filter to put() records with a different record terminator than it parses. This can be useful in applications that must translate record terminators. "Literal" is a shorthand for the common case where the input and output literals are identical. The previous example may be written as: my $c_line_filter = POE::Filter::Line->new( Literal => chr(0), ); An application can also allow POE::Filter::Line to figure out which newline to use. This is done by specifying "InputLiteral" to be undef: my $whichever_line_filter = POE::Filter::Line->new( InputLiteral => undef, OutputLiteral => " ", ); "InputRegexp" may be used in place of "InputLiteral" to recognize line terminators based on a regular expression. In this example, input is terminated by two or more consecutive newlines. On output, the paragraph separator is "---" on a line by itself. my $paragraph_filter = POE::Filter::Line->new( InputRegexp => "([x0Dx0A]{2,})", OutputLiteral => " --- ", ); PUBLIC FILTER METHODS
POE::Filter::Line has no additional public methods. SEE ALSO
Please see POE::Filter for documentation regarding the base interface. The SEE ALSO section in POE contains a table of contents covering the entire POE distribution. BUGS
The default input newline parser is a regexp that has an unfortunate race condition. First the regular expression: /(x0Dx0A?|x0Ax0D?)/ While it quickly recognizes most forms of newline, it can sometimes detect an extra blank line. This happens when a two-byte newline character is broken between two reads. Consider this situation: some stream dataCR LFother stream data The regular expression will see the first CR without its corresponding LF. The filter will properly return "some stream data" as a line. When the next packet arrives, the leading "LF" will be treated as the terminator for a 0-byte line. The filter will faithfully return this empty line. It is advised to specify literal newlines or use the autodetect feature in applications where blank lines are significant. AUTHORS &; COPYRIGHTS Please see POE for more information about authors and contributors. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-15 POE::Filter::Line(3pm)