Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to split large file with different record delimiter? Post 302990598 by Ravi.K on Sunday 29th of January 2017 04:23:44 AM
Old 01-29-2017
How to split large file with different record delimiter?

Hi,
I have received a file which is 20 GB. We would like to split the file into 4 equal parts and process it to avoid memory issues.

If the record delimiter is unix new line, I could use split command either with option l or b.

The problem is that the line terminator is |##|
How to use split command in this regards or do we have any other alternative?
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split A Large File

Hi, I have a large file(csv format) that I need to split into 2 files. The file looks something like Original_file.txt first name, family name, address a, b, c, d, e, f, and so on for over 100,00 lines I need to create two files from this one file. The condition is i need to ensure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbvcxzdz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pivot variable record length file and change delimiter

Hi experts. I got a file (500mb max) and need to pivot it (loading into ORCL) and change BLANK delimiter to PIPE |. Sometimes there are multipel BLANKS (as a particular value may be BLANK, or simply two BLANKS instead of one BLANK). thanks for your input! Cheers, Layout... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasr
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split Large File

HI, i've to split a large file which inputs seems like : Input file name_file.txt 00001|AAAA|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|....... 00001|AAAA|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|....... 00002|BBBB|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|....... 00002|BBBB|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|....... 00003|CCCC|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMARA
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

split record based on delimiter

Hi, My inputfile contains field separaer is ^. 12^inms^ 13^fakdks^ssk^s3 23^avsd^ 13^fakdks^ssk^a4 I wanted to print only 2 delimiter occurence i.e 12^inms^ 23^avsd^ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete 1 record in large file!

Hi All, I'm a newbie here, I'm just wondering on how to delete a single record in a large file in unix. ex. file1.txt is 1000 records nikki1 nikki2 nikki3 what i want to do is delete the nikki2 record in file1.txt. is it possible? Please advise, Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file by delimiter with csplit

Hello, I want to split a big file into smaller ones with certain "counts". I am aware this type of job has been asked quite often, but I posted again when I came to csplit, which may be simpler to solve the problem. Input file (fasta format): >seq1 agtcagtc agtcagtc ag >seq2 agtcagtcagtc... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into multiple files using delimiter

Hi, I have a file which has many URLs delimited by space. Now i want them to move to separate files each one holding 10 URLs per file. http://3276.e-printphoto.co.uk/guardian http://abdera.apache.org/ http://abdera.apache.org/docs/api/index.html I have used the below code to arrange... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a large file in n records and skip a particular record

Hello All, I have a large file, more than 50,000 lines, and I want to split it in even 5000 records. Which I can do using sed '1d;$d;' <filename> | awk 'NR%5000==1{x="F"++i;}{print > x}'Now I need to add one more condition that is not to break the file at 5000th record if the 5000th record... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibmtech
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to target certain delimiter to split text file?

Hi, all. I have an input file. I would like to generate 3 types of output files. Input: LG10_PM_map_19_LEnd_1000560 LG10_PM_map_6-1_27101856 LG10_PM_map_71_REnd_20597718 LG12_PM_map_5_chr_118419232 LG13_PM_map_121_24341052 LG14_PM_1a_456799 LG1_MM_scf_5a_opt_abc_9029993 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check record delimiter of a file ?

My requirment is for every record of a particular file I've to check for a record delimeter (e.g. "\n") and if any row doesn't have "\n" then report it in error file . Please suggest me to go through this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manab86
4 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with prefixes in the range of ``x-z'' and with suffixes as above. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
For historical reasons, if you specify name, split can only create 676 separate files. The default naming convention allows 2028 separate files. The -a option can be used to work around this limitation. The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
April 16, 1994 BSD