Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question on crontab
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question on crontab Post 302990573 by Don Cragun on Saturday 28th of January 2017 03:57:03 PM
Old 01-28-2017
What operating system are you using?

Which user's crontab file contains these commands?

Is the reboot command on your system's default command search path?

If you aren't running a Windows system, why do you want to reboot it every week? Most people run their BSD, Linux, and UNIX systems without rebooting unless it is time to install updates to the operating system, to install new hardware, or to replace broken hardware.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab question

Why does this cron entry do nothing? It works interactively. 58 23 * * * mydate=`date '+%Y%m%d'`;mv /opt/home/user/file /opt/home/user/file_$mydate (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steelrose
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Crontab question

HI all, I would want to schedule a job to run every 2 weeks. In the mean time, i'm only able to schedule on every week. Is it possible to schedule 2 weeks on crontab? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Question.

I set up a job to run a script in a certain directory to remove certain files. The script seems to run as my logs indicate but nothing happens. If I run the script manually then it removes the correct files. I'm now wondering if crontab doesnt have access to remove files from the directory I'm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
9 Replies

4. AIX

How-to crontab question

My question is how to specify the one-time execution of a shell script in crontab? For example: If I wanted to schedule shell "Test.sh" for one-time execution on December 13 at 8:00AM would it be as follows? 00 08 13 12 6 /usr/datatools/dtbackups/Test.sh > /usr/u/sybase_12.5/logs/Test.log &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alan.AIX
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about crontab

Hello guys, I have a server with Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5), there i have a lot of users, im the root. I need to lock the use of crontab to the users, i mean, i dont want to give to the users the option to creat any crontab line, how can i do that? I tried to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Crontab question

Please cna you tell me if the following command entered in error would affect the crontab file crontab -e | more Thanks :) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blondie2407
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab question

I have a user (xxx) who is allowed to run cron jobs when a job is launched from cron is the .profile sourced in? I am not sure it is so I setup a cron job as this user to do the following: 35 15 * * 0-5 su - xxx -c "ksh ls -lt /tmp" > /tmp.out and I am seeing the following error (see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Crontab question

I want to run a script on (say) the 4th friday every month. But if I include this line in the crontab : 45 9 22-28 * 5 echo '4th Friday'|mailx -s "Fri week 4" mike it sends me mail if the date is 22-28, OR the day is friday. So I get mail every day for a week , and also every friday. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejordan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another crontab question

Hey out there This is all I have in my crontab file. I know the crontab works because it was already out there and working. I simply replaced the existing with my line of code below to see if it worked. I uploaded 6 month old pdf files in this directory, stopped/started all the scripts that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab question

I need to run an script every 10th and 25th day in every month at 11pm. the script name is /home/ss/automated.sh I tried to execute the script every day and everytime with the below syntax. its not executing it from crontab. * * * * * /home/ss/automated.sh Any idea why it not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
6 Replies
reboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 reboot(8)

Name
       reboot - automatic reboot procedures

Syntax
       /etc/reboot [ -n ] [ -q ]

Description
       The  ULTRIX  system is booted by loading a kernel image, usually into memory at location zero and transferring to zero.	Because the system
       is not reenterable, the kernel image must be read in from disk each time the system is bootstrapped.

When the reboot of a running system is desired, is normally used.  If there are no users, can be used.  The command causes the disks to	be
       synced,	and  then  a multiuser reboot is initiated.  The system is booted and an automatic disk check is performed.  If the procedure suc-
       ceeds, the system is then brought up for the users.

The system will reboot itself after a power failure or after a crash, provided auto-restart is enabled on your system.  A consistency check
       of the file systems will be performed and, unless the check fails, the system will resume multiuser operations.

Options
       -n   Prevents the disks from being synced.

-q   Reboots quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first.

Files
       System code

See Also
       crash(8v), fsck(8), halt(8), init(8), newfs(8), rc(8), shutdown(8)

reboot(8)