Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash -c interactive scripts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash -c interactive scripts Post 302990469 by Don Cragun on Thursday 26th of January 2017 03:12:35 PM
Old 01-26-2017
To expand a little bit on what Corona688 already said...
I must be missing the point.
What do you mean by run it through a pipe? There is no pipe in
Code:
bash -c "$(cat script.sh)"

And, why are you running:
Code:
bash -c "$(cat script.sh)"

instead of running:
Code:
./script.sh

or, if your current working directory is in your setting for $PATH, just:
Code:
script.sh

either by itself or if it is an element in a pipeline?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating interactive scripts

Hi all, I am trying to write a program that will automate interactive scripts that use 'pkgadd'. Easily enough I can use 'pkgask' and a response file for most of what I want to do, but unfortunately there are parts of some pkg installations that are configured to only take input from /dev/tty!!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bookoo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive installation script

Hi, for an exercise I need to write a script that will ask the user about each package in a (local) repository and install it or not according to the user's input. I am fairly new to scripting, so I did not get very far. Here is what I came up with. I really appreciate your help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Softsmid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive scripts for Oracle

Hello friends, I am a ORACLE user, we have some internal database file, lets say "demo.config" and an internal tool to patch this file....lets call that tool as "dbfixer". We have 100's-1000's of such files "demo.config" which need to get patched by the tool. So we need to write a script ...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Newbie456267uni
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

interactive scripts with user input that includes quotes

I'm writing a basic ldapsearch script that prompts the user for their search criteria. The input they're being asked for is the search filter portion of the ldapsearch command. This string must be quoted. When the script executes the command it returns nothing. If I hard code a search filter it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donniemac
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non interactive su in bash script

Hi, I have a python gui which allow users entering the root password, then a bash script is called to run "su" with the root password on the background. I could find a way to run "su" with a password. How to run "su" in a bash script without password prompt? Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive Script Required

Dear All, Please help in creating a bash script to fetch records from multiple files the script should ask inputs of file type and column level input(at least 4 col of each file type) I have 4 sort of Files, A,B,C,D. file names are like A_0112.unl, A_01215.unl, A_0001.unl and same with B C... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Ali
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive scripts

i have a script that contains: script.sh #!/bin/bash echo -e "\t\t\t0. Exit" echo -e "\t\t\t1. Help" echo -e "\t\t\t2. Notes" echo -e "\t\t\t3. Classes" echo "${newline}" echo -n -e "\t Please enter option number : " read Type case $Type in 1) clear ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying interactive scripts

so for the purposes of this thread, interactive scripts are shell scripts that prompts for a response from a user and then waits for the user to enter a response before proceeding. now, from my understanding of this, the one common string i can expect to find in all interactive scripts is some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
SERVICE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SERVICE(8)

NAME
service -- control (start/stop/etc.) or list system services SYNOPSIS
service -e service -R service [-v] -l | -r service [-v] <rc.d script> start|stop|etc. DESCRIPTION
The service command is an easy interface to the rc.d system. Its primary purpose is to start and stop services provided by the rc.d scripts. When used for this purpose it will set the same restricted environment that is in use at boot time (see below). It can also be used to list the scripts using various criteria. The options are as follows: -e List services that are enabled. The list of scripts to check is compiled using rcorder(8) the same way that it is done in rc(8), then that list of scripts is checked for an "rcvar" assignment. If present the script is checked to see if it is enabled. -R Restart all enabled local services. -l List all files in /etc/rc.d and the local startup directories. As described in rc.conf(5) this is usually /usr/local/etc/rc.d. All files will be listed whether they are an actual rc.d script or not. -r Generate the rcorder(8) as in -e above, but list all of the files, not just what is enabled. -v Be slightly more verbose ENVIRONMENT
When used to run rc.d scripts the service command sets HOME to / and PATH to /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin which is how they are set in /etc/rc at boot time. EXIT STATUS
The service utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following are examples of typical usage of the service command: service named status service -rv The following programmable completion entry can be use in bash(1) for the names of the rc.d scripts: _service () { local cur cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]} COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W '$( service -l )' -- $cur ) ) return 0 } complete -F _service service SEE ALSO
bash(1) (ports/shells/bash), rc.conf(5), rc(8), rcorder(8) HISTORY
The service utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Douglas Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
December 11, 2012 BSD