Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Unable to extract .gz file using gunzip Post 302990263 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 24th of January 2017 07:10:14 AM
Old 01-24-2017
You might also look in your manual pages for tar and see if the -z flag is supported. This will allow you to write/read gzip format compressed archive files in one command rather than piping a tar into/from a gzip.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gunzip : unexpected end of file

Hi, While uncompress , gunzip filename.cpio.gz getting the fg. error gunzip: filename.cpio.gz: unexpected end of file. Whats the problem? Size of this .gz file is 660mb . Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dolly
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gunzip: unexpected end of file

Ok, I sent several gzipped files using the UNIX "mail" utility without any special settings (bad idea). When I saved these files from my mail and tried to gunzip them, I would get something like the following error: gunzip: wmGrep.mel.gz: unexpected end of file Ok, I messed up. But is it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sicjedi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to extract Trademark(™) Character

Hello All, I am trying to extract a trademark character (™) from a varchar column in a DB2 Table. The result is to be placed in a sequential file in an AIX environment. After the Extraction is complete when I view the extracted file I noticed that in place of the (™) Character another... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosec
5 Replies

5. AIX

Unable to gunzip .tgz file in AIX6.1

Hi guys, This is my 1st post here. I tried to Google around but failed to get my solution. So I hope you guys could help me. (I have just a basic unix background for 2years so I'm sorry if im asking stupid questions) OS - Aix 6.1, 64 bits. Server - currently I only have telnet access to a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilotHans
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to extract bz2-00 file

I have a file having name smthing.tar.bz2-00 I am trying to unzip it using tar -xvjf "name" But I am not able to unzip it. PLease advise for the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FNR>2 is not working and unable to extract data from a file

Hi, I have a file in windows environment and moved to UNIX through FTP (ASCII format). The file is having with tab delimited file. awk ‘FNR>2' file_cust*.txt >>filnal.txt I have the same file in production; it is working fine with the same procedure. Once we receive the file in windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onesuri
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to gunzip a .gz file, in ksh

i am working on unix - ksh trying to unzip a .gz file and when i executed the below, in my command prompt in ksh gunzip abc.gz it was throwing the message below: gunzip: abc.gz: unexpected end of file - pls advise what is the reason for it..i am pretty sure the .gz file had no issues. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip a file in UNIX

hi All, i have a file called rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz, i have to unzip and then uncompress it. but at first while i am trying to unzip this file, it is giving me following error: -rw-r--r-- 1 bravodba bravodba 7278458 Aug 19 08:26 rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz bash-3.2$ unzip rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz Archive: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
12 Replies

10. Solaris

Gunzip: File too large error

Hello All, I'm trying to write a script to load the MySQL DB from a dump file but the unzipping doesnt seem to work, not sure whats the issue, i get below error bash>gunzip mysql2-dump.gz gunzip: mysql2-dump: File too large bash > can anyone pls let me know how to sort this out? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahesh_RPM
2 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. AUTHOR
Written by Rene Scharfe. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)