Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difficulty with CAT redirection in script Post 302990216 by demmith on Monday 23rd of January 2017 09:55:40 PM
Old 01-23-2017
The debug output is nothing but full path file names followed by my target file name which is
Quote:
./LocalConfigMaster.pri
. There are no errors and there is no output generated by the cat command. (from the command line) If I substitute anyone of these full path files names for the array variable, the cat command works just fine. These full path file names look something like this
Quote:
/fouo/release-develop/project1/LocalConfig.pri
. Again, works great from the command line, does nothing inside this script of mine. I am unfamiliar with
Quote:
set -xv
but not for long. :-) I am fairly new to the bash world. Thanks for your help and patience Don, it is much appreciated.

---------- Post updated at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Don't you mean to use echo instead of cat? Or is the array element a filename? with a complete path....

Another point: You may want to declare outputArray as an array:

Code:
outputArray=()
# or
declare -a outputArray

I assume this is bash 3.2 or higher. Arrays were somewhat experimental in v3.1 bash.
What output do you get/see in stdout? Please post a sample.
Thanks Jim. The samples I read suggested cat. The array is working, I can verify that - I am getting the expected results, it's just this cat command that is doing nothing. I provided a small one-line sample output in my reply to Don. Thank you for the suggestions though. I'm a little green when it comes to bash. And I do not know what version it is but I'll find out.

---------- Post updated at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:51 PM ----------

Quote:
GNU bash, version 4.3.11(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
---------- Post updated at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubler_XL
Are you seeing any errors like ./LocalConfigMaster.pri: Permission denied?

You could also avoid using arrays and use a for loop to set your file like this:

Code:
idx=0
locate -b "LocalConfig.pri" | while read file
do
    # Print element number and contents.
    printf 'Output number %d is %s\n' $((++idx)) "$file"
    # Cat each file into one 'master' file.
    echo -e "\tconcatenating\n\t\t $file \n\tinto \n\t\t./LocalConfigMaster.pri ..."
    cat "$file" >> ./LocalConfigMaster.pri
done

At first I did see the permission denied error but that went away after invoking the script with sudo. And I appreciate the tips on tightening up this code. Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirection to tty** with cat

I tried to cat a file to another user that was logged in, but I received an error message that displayed something like: %cat funny > /dev/ttyp3 zsh: permission denied: /dev/ttyp3 Thank you all for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zorro
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding redirection using cat.

The behavior of the following 2 operations is unexpected. K1 and K2 are files here :- 1) cat < K1 K2 The above operation should actually display contents of the both files. But it gives the contents of K2 only. How is that ? 2) cat > K1 K2 Above operation takes the contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marconi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difficulty using "execute immediate" in shell - Sql script

Hello members, I get an unexpected "end of file" error while trying to execute the following piece of code in the bash / ksh shell. I'm assuming the problem is with using the "execute immediate statement" #! /bin/bash tname="table" for i in * do sqlstr="create table $tname$i as select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice82
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for Input Redirection in my script?

All, I have a requirement to write a script where I check for Input redirection when the script was executed, based on which I handle my logic. Below is the example: my.script #! /bin/ksh # Not sure how to frame the if condition below if ; then echo "Input Redirected from a file" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDOUT and STDERR redirection within a script

Hello all, I have a for loop executing in a script that I want to redirect STDOUT to screen and to file, while directing STDERR to the bit bucket. Here is the general sentax of what I'm doing: for i in thingy do some_command ${i} done 1>&1 | tee ${LOGFILE} 2> /dev/null What I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection script

Hi, #!/bin/bash while ; do rm -f /tmp/pipe mkfifo /tmp/pipe ./yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2 < /tmp/pipe & mplayer tom_and_jerry.mp4 -vf scale=480:360 -vo yuv4mpeg:file=/tmp/pipe sleep 65; done When I run this - after mplayer finishes playing video it says - Exiting... (End of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection within bash script

Hi, when I try to redirect input and the command is described as a string within an array redirection does not work. why? #!/bin/bash dir=("tail < ./hello.txt") tail < ./hello.txt #works ${dir} #does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heinzel
2 Replies