Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Unable to extract .gz file using gunzip Post 302990207 by Corona688 on Monday 23rd of January 2017 05:25:57 PM
Old 01-23-2017
Code:
gunzip filename

does not print to stdout, that unzips the file itself on disk without printing its contents.

You may try gunzip < filename | tar ... but I suspect the gz is not there any more, and just tar ... < filename will do.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gunzip : unexpected end of file

Hi, While uncompress , gunzip filename.cpio.gz getting the fg. error gunzip: filename.cpio.gz: unexpected end of file. Whats the problem? Size of this .gz file is 660mb . Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dolly
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gunzip: unexpected end of file

Ok, I sent several gzipped files using the UNIX "mail" utility without any special settings (bad idea). When I saved these files from my mail and tried to gunzip them, I would get something like the following error: gunzip: wmGrep.mel.gz: unexpected end of file Ok, I messed up. But is it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sicjedi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to extract Trademark(™) Character

Hello All, I am trying to extract a trademark character (™) from a varchar column in a DB2 Table. The result is to be placed in a sequential file in an AIX environment. After the Extraction is complete when I view the extracted file I noticed that in place of the (™) Character another... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosec
5 Replies

5. AIX

Unable to gunzip .tgz file in AIX6.1

Hi guys, This is my 1st post here. I tried to Google around but failed to get my solution. So I hope you guys could help me. (I have just a basic unix background for 2years so I'm sorry if im asking stupid questions) OS - Aix 6.1, 64 bits. Server - currently I only have telnet access to a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilotHans
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to extract bz2-00 file

I have a file having name smthing.tar.bz2-00 I am trying to unzip it using tar -xvjf "name" But I am not able to unzip it. PLease advise for the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FNR>2 is not working and unable to extract data from a file

Hi, I have a file in windows environment and moved to UNIX through FTP (ASCII format). The file is having with tab delimited file. awk ‘FNR>2' file_cust*.txt >>filnal.txt I have the same file in production; it is working fine with the same procedure. Once we receive the file in windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onesuri
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to gunzip a .gz file, in ksh

i am working on unix - ksh trying to unzip a .gz file and when i executed the below, in my command prompt in ksh gunzip abc.gz it was throwing the message below: gunzip: abc.gz: unexpected end of file - pls advise what is the reason for it..i am pretty sure the .gz file had no issues. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip a file in UNIX

hi All, i have a file called rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz, i have to unzip and then uncompress it. but at first while i am trying to unzip this file, it is giving me following error: -rw-r--r-- 1 bravodba bravodba 7278458 Aug 19 08:26 rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz bash-3.2$ unzip rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz Archive: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
12 Replies

10. Solaris

Gunzip: File too large error

Hello All, I'm trying to write a script to load the MySQL DB from a dump file but the unzipping doesnt seem to work, not sure whats the issue, i get below error bash>gunzip mysql2-dump.gz gunzip: mysql2-dump: File too large bash > can anyone pls let me know how to sort this out? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahesh_RPM
2 Replies
SUPERMIN-HELPER(8)					      Virtualization Support						SUPERMIN-HELPER(8)

NAME
supermin-helper - Reconstruct initramfs from supermin appliance. SYNOPSIS
supermin-helper supermin.img hostfiles.txt host_cpu kernel initrd supermin-helper input [...] host_cpu kernel initrd supermin-helper -f ext2 input [...] host_cpu kernel initrd appliance supermin-helper -f checksum input [...] host_cpu DESCRIPTION
supermin-helper reconstructs a bootable kernel and initramfs from a supermin appliance. First you should be familiar with supermin(8). PARAMETERS
Of the required parameters, the first few are input files, and the last two or three are output files. "supermin.img" and "hostfiles.txt" are the input files which describe the supermin appliance. (You can also use a directory name here which is searched for files). "host_cpu" should be the host CPU, eg. "x86_64" or "i686". "kernel", "initrd" and "appliance" are the temporary output files that this script produces. These output files are meant to be used just for booting the appliance, and should be deleted straight afterwards. The extra "appliance" parameter is only required when the format is "ext2". None of these parameters are needed for the checksum output "-f checksum". OPTIONS
--help Display brief command line usage, and exit. -f fmt --format fmt Select the output format for the appliance. Possible formats are: cpio A Linux initramfs. This is the default. In this case you have to supply names for the "kernel" and "initrd", where the "initrd" is the appliance. Note that cpio(1) might not be able to extract this file fully. The format used by the Linux kernel is not quite a true cpio file. ext2 An ext2 filesystem. In this case you have to supply names for the "kernel", a small "initrd" which is used just to locate the appliance, and the "appliance" (the ext2 filesystem). checksum Output a checksum. This prints a checksum which only changes when one of the input files changes. You can use this in order to cache the output of a previous run of this program: computing the checksum is much quicker than building an appliance, and you only need to invalidate the cache (and consequently rebuild the appliance) when the checksum changes. Note that the host_cpu and the UID of the current user are included in the checksum. --copy-kernel Copy the kernel instead of symlinking to the kernel in "/boot". This is fractionally slower, but is necessary if you want to change the permissions or SELinux label on the kernel. -k file --kmods file If this option is specified, then "file" should be a list of wildcards matching kernel module names, eg: virtio*.ko scsi*.ko piix.ko In this case, only kernel modules matching those wildcards will be included in the output appliance. Note: You must resolve any dependencies yourself as this does not pull in dependent modules automatically. If this option is not specified, then every kernel module from the host will be included. This is safer, but can produce rather large appliances which need a lot more memory to boot. -u user --user user -g group --group group Run supermin-helper as an alternate user and/or group. "user" and "group" can be specified as either a name, which will be resolved using the system name service, or a uid/gid. Use of these options requires root privileges. Use of these options is required if running supermin-helper as root with the effective uid/gid set to non-root. Bash will reset the effective uid/gid to the real uid/gid when invoked. As supermin-helper uses bash in parts, this will result in the creation of an appliance with a mixture of ownerships. -v --verbose Enable verbose messages (give multiple times for more verbosity). -V --version Display version number and exit. COMPRESSED INPUT FILES
supermin-helper >= 4.1.4 supports gzip-compressed input cpio image files. "hostfiles" cannot be compressed. Compressing input files saves space, but can make supermin-helper run fractionally slower. SPEED
In libguestfs, on a mid-range Intel-based PC, we reconstruct the initramfs using this script in around 1/5th of a second (assuming a "hot cache" - it's rather slower when run the first time on a cold cache). Some tips to improve performance: o Use a kernel module whitelist (the "--kmods" option), and only list the kernel modules you really need. o Minimize the appliance, removing as much extraneous junk as possible. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SUPERMIN_KERNEL If this environment variable is set, then automatic selection of the kernel is bypassed and this kernel is used. The environment variable should point to a kernel file, eg. "/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.x86_64" The corresponding module path is guessed from the kernel name, but you can override that by setting "SUPERMIN_MODULES". SUPERMIN_MODULES If "SUPERMIN_KERNEL" and "SUPERMIN_MODULES" are both set, then automatic selection of the kernel is bypassed and the kernel and module path are set to these values. The environment variable should point to a module directory, eg. "/lib/modules/3.0.x86_64/" This has no effect if "SUPERMIN_KERNEL" is not set. SEE ALSO
supermin(8). AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones <rjones @ redhat . com> COPYRIGHT
(C) Copyright 2009-2013 Red Hat Inc., <http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/supermin>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. supermin-4.1.3 2013-08-28 SUPERMIN-HELPER(8)