Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Unable to extract .gz file using gunzip Post 302990200 by a1_win on Monday 23rd of January 2017 04:21:49 PM
Old 01-23-2017
Unable to extract .gz file using gunzip

Linux 3.8.13-16.2.1.el6uek.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Nov 7 17:01:44 PST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hi all,

I am unable to extract .gz file using gunzip

Used the following command to create the .gz file:

Code:
nohup tar -cvpf - 11.2.0.4  | gzip -c > /u01/Test_hot_1222017/11.2.0.4_OH_Bkp_1212017.gz &

I get the file created as

Code:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 oratst dba 5466458195 Jan 21 06:08 11.2.0.4_OH_Bkp_1212017.gz

Now, when I gunzip the file to extract the file contents, I get the following message:

Code:
-bash-4.1$ gunzip 11.2.0.4_OH_Bkp_1212017.gz | tar xvf -
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Please advise how to extract the 11.2.0.4_OH_Bkp_1212017.gz file?

Thanks for your help and time!

Regards,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gunzip : unexpected end of file

Hi, While uncompress , gunzip filename.cpio.gz getting the fg. error gunzip: filename.cpio.gz: unexpected end of file. Whats the problem? Size of this .gz file is 660mb . Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dolly
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gunzip: unexpected end of file

Ok, I sent several gzipped files using the UNIX "mail" utility without any special settings (bad idea). When I saved these files from my mail and tried to gunzip them, I would get something like the following error: gunzip: wmGrep.mel.gz: unexpected end of file Ok, I messed up. But is it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sicjedi
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gunzip to decompress .zip file

Hi, I have a zipped Oralce software (linux.x64_11gR1_database.zip) and I need to unzip it. On the Linux server, I only see the gunzip utility listed: $ ls -ltr *zip* -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gzip -rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60320 Jan 15 2008 gunzip Can I use the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syang68
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to extract Trademark(™) Character

Hello All, I am trying to extract a trademark character (™) from a varchar column in a DB2 Table. The result is to be placed in a sequential file in an AIX environment. After the Extraction is complete when I view the extracted file I noticed that in place of the (™) Character another... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosec
5 Replies

5. AIX

Unable to gunzip .tgz file in AIX6.1

Hi guys, This is my 1st post here. I tried to Google around but failed to get my solution. So I hope you guys could help me. (I have just a basic unix background for 2years so I'm sorry if im asking stupid questions) OS - Aix 6.1, 64 bits. Server - currently I only have telnet access to a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilotHans
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to extract bz2-00 file

I have a file having name smthing.tar.bz2-00 I am trying to unzip it using tar -xvjf "name" But I am not able to unzip it. PLease advise for the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FNR>2 is not working and unable to extract data from a file

Hi, I have a file in windows environment and moved to UNIX through FTP (ASCII format). The file is having with tab delimited file. awk ‘FNR>2' file_cust*.txt >>filnal.txt I have the same file in production; it is working fine with the same procedure. Once we receive the file in windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onesuri
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to gunzip a .gz file, in ksh

i am working on unix - ksh trying to unzip a .gz file and when i executed the below, in my command prompt in ksh gunzip abc.gz it was throwing the message below: gunzip: abc.gz: unexpected end of file - pls advise what is the reason for it..i am pretty sure the .gz file had no issues. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip a file in UNIX

hi All, i have a file called rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz, i have to unzip and then uncompress it. but at first while i am trying to unzip this file, it is giving me following error: -rw-r--r-- 1 bravodba bravodba 7278458 Aug 19 08:26 rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz bash-3.2$ unzip rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz Archive: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
12 Replies

10. Solaris

Gunzip: File too large error

Hello All, I'm trying to write a script to load the MySQL DB from a dump file but the unzipping doesnt seem to work, not sure whats the issue, i get below error bash>gunzip mysql2-dump.gz gunzip: mysql2-dump: File too large bash > can anyone pls let me know how to sort this out? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahesh_RPM
2 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2013-08-25 PTARGREP(1)