Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to auto correct a failing command? Post 302989909 by Ivo Breeden on Thursday 19th of January 2017 05:04:48 PM
Old 01-19-2017
But sometimes one can do someting with nonportable options.
One example is the echo command. For ages I used echo \t\b\n to echo tab, bel or newline. But this does not work anymore in bash. If you want echo to interpret escaped characters, you must use the -e option: echo -e \t\b\n .
So portable scripts often use this construction:
Code:
if echo '\t' |grep t >/dev/null 
then   
  # -e option needed to interpret \t \n etc.
  ECHOOPTS=-e
else   
  # No options needed
  ECHOOPTS=""
fi
echo $ECHOOPTS "col1\tcol2\tcol3\n"

So this is what you can do: use variables to store options.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

dd command failing

I am new to HP-UX. I have an 8GB drive that is my root drive, contained in a Volume Group. I would like to clone that drive to another drive, which is 18.4GB. The other drive is not in a volume group. I am using this simple command:# dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t5d0The command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emsecrist
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is this grep command correct?

Hi I need to know if I have got the following grep command correct. I wanted to find from myfile.txt all signed real numbers (e.g. +5.0, -78, but not 5.0, 5 are not). I have thought about it and decided it was this: grep '' myfile.txt but I was wondering if this was correct. If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushhour
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tty command failing

We have script like this in the .bash_profile.. #-# determine if session is interactive or in background if ]; then while true; do read -p "Do you wish to load profile yes or no?" yn case $yn in * ) source /opt/oracle/.profile; break;; * ) break;; *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop failing cd command

Hi guys, i've wrote the following loop; for i in `ls` do cd $i/host cat "xxxx.txt" |grep "yyyy" >> zzzz.txt done I have a set of folder with different name and i need to extract a value from a file contained in the host subfolder ( that is present in each folder). When i run... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cecco16
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I was trying this command...am I going correct? other there is better way

I was trying to copy all debs from apt cache to some storage location and I was taking this approach... /var/cache/apt/archives# ls -1 | grep -v jdownloader | fgrep .deb | xargs cp /media/eshant/L-STORE/Softwares/openjdk/an error bla_bla.deb is a not directory stalled me Suggestions please... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
9 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Auto correct a csv file using UNIX shell script.

Hi All, There are list of 4-5 .csv files which has 12 columns.In some cases one of the record is split into 2 records. What needs to be done is this split record has to be auto corrected and placed in the csv file. Eg: Let us consider sample.csv file and in normal conditions the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthik_ak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto correct a csv file using UNIX shell script.

Hi All, There are list of 4-5 .csv files which has 12 columns.In some cases one of the record is split into 2 records. What needs to be done is this split record has to be auto corrected and placed in the csv file. Eg: Let us consider sample.csv file and in normal conditions the file would... (40 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik_ak
40 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While trying to load .so file manually using command its failing

Hi all, I am newbie to linux environment. I was trying to run an .so file manually which in turn call a method in bin folder. Command given, XXX_MODULES=libxxx.so /opt/servicename/bin/methodname -Le -c /opt/servicename/etc/methodname/methodname.conf -n -C -t -m "" When i tried to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharathpadman
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

While trying to load .so file manually using command its failing

Hi all, I am newbie to linux environment. I was trying to run an .so file manually which in turn call a method in bin folder. Command given, XXX_MODULES=libxxx.so /opt/servicename/bin/methodname -Le -c /opt/servicename/etc/methodname/methodname.conf -n -C -t -m "" When i tried to execute... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharathpadman
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

LS command does not list the correct file

Hi, I am logged into as root & inside the home directory of another user. ls -a # ls -laq total 44 drwx------ 4 user1 adm 4096 Nov 23 05:10 . drwxr-xr-x. 12 root root 4096 Nov 22 13:05 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 adm 18 Nov 22 13:05 .bash_logout -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 adm 193 Nov... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)