Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to append the multiple Delimiters up to requirement? Post 302989835 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 18th of January 2017 04:30:01 PM
Old 01-18-2017
Is this a homework assignment? Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in the Homework & Coursework forum under special homework rules.

If this is not a homework assignment, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on in addition to the information RudiC requested.

If this is a homework assignment, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - treat multiple delimiters as one

Is there anyway to get awk to treat multiple delimiters as one? Particularly spaces... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a file with multiple delimiters into columns

Hi All I have recently had to start using Unix for work and I have hit brick wall with this prob.... I have a file that goes a little something like this.... EUR;EUR;EUR:USD:USD;USD;;;EUR/USD;XAU/AUD;XAU/EUR;XAU/AUD,GBP/BOB,UAD/XAU;;;1.11;2.22;3.33;4.44;5.55;6.66;;; is it possible to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckycharm
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK with multiple delimiters

I have the following string sample: bla bla bla bla bla I would like to extract the "123" using awk. I thought about awk -F"]" '{ print $1 }' but it doesn't work Any ideas ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdub
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting based on multiple delimiters

Hello, I have data where words are separated by a delimiter. In this case "=" The number of delimiters in a line can vary from 4to 8. The norm is 4. Is it possible to have a script where the file could be separated starting with highest number of delimiters and ending with the lowest An... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting problem: Multiple delimiters, multiple keys

Hello If you wanted to sort a .csv file that was filled with lines like this: <Ticker>,<Date as YYYYMMDD>,<Time as H:M:S>,<Volume>,<Corr> (H : , M, S: ) by date, does anybody know of a better solution than to turn the 3rd and 4th colons of every line into commas, sorting on four keys,... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan.
20 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append into single file for multiple iterations

hi, i want to capture the CPU performance, memory , harddisk usage into a single file for every 10 seconds iterations and it shall run until i kill it. can somebody plz help me in this... thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bskumar4u
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

treating multiple delimiters[solved]

Hi, I need to display the last column value in the below o/p. sam2 PS 03/10/11 0 441 Unable to get o/p with this awk code awk -F"+" '{ print $4 }' pwdchk.txt I need to display 441(in this eg.) and also accept it as a variable to treat it with if condition and take a decision.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple delimiters

Hi Folks, This is the first time I ever encountered this situation My input file is of this kind cat input.txt 1 PAIXAF 0 1 1 -9 0 0 0 1 2 0 2 1 2 1 7 PAIXEM 0 7 1 -9 1 0 2 0 1 2 2 1 0 2 9 PAKZXY 0 2 1 -9 2 0 1 1 1 0 1 2 0 1 Till the sixth column (which is -9), I want my columns to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing phone number with multiple delimiters

Hello all I have a data base of information that is formatted like so: JSD4863 XXX-XX-XXXX DOE, JOHN C JR-II BISS CPSC BS INFO TECH 412/779-9445 I need the last four digits of the phone number. However, many lines contain 'garbage data' that I'm not interested in. So i used a 'for loop'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartSometimes
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting fields from a file having multiple delimiters

Hi All, I have a file with a single row having the following text ABC.ABC.ABC,Database,New123,DBNAME,F,ABC.ABC.ABC_APP,"@FUNCTION1("ENT1") ,@FUNCTION2("ENT2")",R, I want an output in the following format ABC.ABC.ABC DBNAME ABC.ABC.ABC_APP '@FUNCTION1("ENT1")... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies
RCVPACK(1)                                                           [nmh-1.5]                                                          RCVPACK(1)

NAME
rcvpack - append message to file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/rcvpack file [-mbox] [-mmdf] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
The rcvpack program will append a copy of the message to the file listed on its command line. If the -mbox switch is given (the default), then the messages are separated using mbox (uucp) style delimiters. This is the format used by most mail clients (elm, mailx, etc.). If the -mmdf switch is given, then the messages are separated by mmdf style delimiters. Each message in the file is separated by four CTRL-A's and a newline. rcvpack will correctly lock and unlock the file to serialize access to the file, when running multiple copies of rcvpack . In general, its use is obsoleted by the file action of slocal, although it might still have occasional uses in various shell scripts. FILES
/etc/nmh/mts.conf nmh mts configuration file SEE ALSO
rcvdist(1), rcvstore(1), rcvtty(1), slocal(1) BUGS
Only two return codes are meaningful, others should be. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RCVPACK(1)