Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script: problem with a function which use colors Post 302989820 by Corona688 on Wednesday 18th of January 2017 02:49:23 PM
Old 01-18-2017
I think that color_in_red=("${red}"$2"${none}") this is incorrect, putting it in ( ) like that will make it an array. You should just do color_in_red="${red}$2${none}"

Also, if you're using BASH, you can avoid a lot of those echo -e's by just storing the binary values in the first place.

Also, you don't have to re-open the same logfile every time to print one line, you can open the logfile once and write to it as many times as you want:

Also, if you print the color ones to stderr, they will go straight to console and won't muck up your pipes, etc.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

exec 5>>logfile

logthis() {
    green=$'\033[0;32m' # The variables will hold actual escape sequence, not backslash-zero-three-three
    red=$'\033[0;31m'
    none=$'\033[0m'

printf "%s: %s\n" "$(date)" "$1" >&5 # Print to file opened above into FD 5
    printf "%s%s%s\n" "$green" "$1" "$none" >&2 # To stderr
}

Last edited by Corona688; 01-18-2017 at 03:58 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

colors in BASH, doubt with script

I was trying to see all combinations of foreground and background colors in BASH. This works fine for me, echo -e '\E[37;46m TEXT' but when I tried the below script, the variables i and j do not expand. #!/bin/sh for i in `seq 30 37` # foreground do for j in `seq 40... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy About Bash Script function

Hi to all, first of all,i am working on MINIX 3 OS. I want to create a bash script file,which will create a list of files(not directories) that have been modified one specific day (i.e today) under my home directory. thank you very much!! :) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kostis1904
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run function from script over ssh (BASH)

Hi, Is there any cleaver way to run function from the bash scrip over ssh? For example: #!/bin/bash #Function 1 FN1 () { ls -l } #Main run ssh user@host FN1 exit 0 Yeah, I know it will not work, but I'm asking how to make it to work :) I'm suspecting that it would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: columb
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AWK sub function curious problem under bash

I need to detect the number of pages in a print job when it is available so I can warn users when they try to print a report much larger than they expected. Sometimes they are trying to print 1000 page reports when they thought they were getting a 10 page report. Under linux I am scanning the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Max Rebo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

error when call function in bash script

Dear all, Could you please advice as I when call function i found the following error " refills: command not found" note that refills is function name. following also the function and how i call it function refills { echo "formatting refills and telepin" >> $log awk -F,... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed.gad
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script function parameters

I have a question about bash script. Can I create a function there that accept parameters like functions in program language? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep and read function in a BASH Script

I'm putting together a script that will search my mail archives for emails that meet certain criteria and output the files to a text file. I can manually cat that text file and pipe it into sendmail and it will work (i.e. cat /pathtofile/foo.txt | sendmail -t me@company.com) My script sends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters to bash script function (or subroutine)

I've found a few posts regarding passing parameters to a function or subroutine, but for some reason when I try to run a command based on part with these parameters it's not working. If I have the function echo the parameters they show correctly so I believe they are being passed right but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: withanh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling function from another bash script

I would like to call functions from another bash script. How can I do it? Some code More code (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function problem

I am trying to figure out why I am having a "problem" with some functions in a bash script I am running. The reason for air quoting is that the functions are working, they are just not displaying anything to screen when called from another function. Here's an example: function Create_Input {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
6 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux