Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print asterisk instead of password (Bash) Post 302989763 by RavinderSingh13 on Wednesday 18th of January 2017 05:09:44 AM
Old 01-18-2017
Hello John K,

Kindly use read -p option for same, it should do the trick.

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print asterisk without its wild card functionality

I have three cron entries in a file /cron_entries as 15 * * * * /bin/hourjobs > /tmp/hrjob.log 2>&1 .................. .................... I am trying to read this file in for loop using code below: cron=`cat /cron_entries` for line in $cron do printf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudh
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use asterisk in shell script bash

Hello, I am trying to save in a file a single "*" but its not working... look what i am doing... FILE="/home/teste/a.txt" ...BEGIN... ASTERISK="*" echo "STRING $ASTERISK STRING" >> $FILE ...END... when i do it, the result is a list of all files of the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diogooute
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

space-asterisk in bash killed my server

So, here's the deal... I was attempting to type this: > grep -R "searchterm" * and somehow I typed this instead: > grep -R "searchterm" > * I accidentally typed "space-asterisk" on the second prompt. This apparently caused Bash to attempt to run the first file in the pwd, which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: treesloth
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a password protected bash script resist/refuse “bash -x” when the password is given

I want to give my long scripts to customer. The customer must not be able to read the scripts even if he has the password. The following command locks and unlocks the script but the set +x is simply ignored. The code: read -p 'Script: ' S && C=$S.crypt H='eval "$((dd if=$0 bs=1 skip=//|gpg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print diamond asterisk pattern based on inputs

I have to print the number of stars that increases on each line from the minimum number until it reaches the maximum number, and then decreases until it goes back to the minimum number. After printing out the lines of stars, it should also print the total number of stars printed. I have tried... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies
HSMARKDOWN(1)						      General Commands Manual						     HSMARKDOWN(1)

NAME
hsmarkdown - convert markdown-formatted text to HTML SYNOPSIS
hsmarkdown [input-file]... DESCRIPTION
hsmarkdown converts markdown-formatted text to HTML. It is designed to be usable as a drop-in replacement for John Gruber's Markdown.pl. If no input-file is specified, input is read from stdin. Otherwise, the input-files are concatenated (with a blank line between each) and used as input. Output goes to stdout by default. For output to a file, use shell redirection: hsmarkdown input.txt > output.html hsmarkdown is implemented as a symlink to the pandoc(1) executable. When called under the name hsmarkdown, pandoc behaves as if it had been called with the options --from markdown --to html --strict and disables all other options. (Command-line options will be interpreted as filenames, as they are by Markdown.pl.) SEE ALSO
pandoc(1). The README file distributed with Pandoc contains full documentation. The Pandoc source code and all documentation may be downloaded from <http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/>. AUTHORS
John MacFarlane. Pandoc User Manuals March 23, 2010 HSMARKDOWN(1)