Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Noob trying to improve
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Noob trying to improve Post 302989490 by MadeInGermany on Friday 13th of January 2017 09:02:21 AM
Old 01-13-2017
local means: the variable exists only within the current scope.
In Bash: within the current function.
Bash is not a declarative language, and has loose type binding.
For example you can add a 1 to a string "5", and get "51" or 6 dependent on the operator.
With declare -i you can limit the misuse of variables. For example
Code:
i="a"; [ $i -lt 5 ] && echo "$i is less than 5"

gives a syntax error. With declare -i i the "a" will be casted to a 0, and there will not be a syntax error (but might still result in a malfunction in the following code).
declare makes most sense for special variables like arrays.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I improve this script ???

Hi all, Still a newbie and learning as I go ... as you do :) Have created this script to report on disc usage and I've just included the ChkSpace function this morning. It's the first time I've read a file (line-by-bloody-line) and would like to know if I can improve this script ? FYI - I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

improve performance by using ls better than find

Hi , i'm searching for files over many Aix servers with rsh command using this request : find /dir1 -name '*.' -exec ls {} \; and then count them with "wc" but i would improve this search because it's too long and replace directly find with ls command but "ls *. " doesn't work. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

improve this?

Wrote this script to find the date x days before or after today. Is there any way that this script can be speeded up or otherwise improved? #!/usr/bin/sh check_done() { if then daysofmth=31 elif then if ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improve Performance

hi someone tell me which ways i can improve disk I/O and system process performance.kindly refer some commands so i can do it on my test machine.thanks, Mazhar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar99
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any way to improve performance of this script

I have a data file of 2 gig I need to do all these, but its taking hours, any where i can improve performance, thanks a lot #!/usr/bin/ksh echo TIMESTAMP="$(date +'_%y-%m-%d.%H-%M-%S')" function showHelp { cat << EOF >&2 syntax extreme.sh FILENAME Specify filename to parse EOF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirababu
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

How to improve throughput?

I have a 10Gbps network link connecting two machines A and B. I want to transfer 20GB data from A to B using TCP. With default setting, I can use 50% bandwidth. How to improve the throughput? Is there any way to make throughput as close to 10Gbps as possible? thanks~ :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewust
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to improve the performance of script

Hi All, I have written a script as follows which is taking lot of time in executing/searching only 3500 records taken as input from one file in log file of 12 GB Approximately. Working of script is read the csv file as an input having 2 arguments which are transaction_id,mobile_number and search... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

8. AIX

improve sulog

I just wrote a very small script that improves readability on system sulog. The problem with all sulog is there is lack of clarity whether the info you are looking at is the most current. So if you just need a simple soution instead of going thru the trouble of writing a script that rotate logs and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to improve an script?

Gents. I have 2 different scripts for the same purpose: raw2csv_1 Script raw2csv_1 finish the process in less that 1 minute raw2csv_2 Script raw2csv_2 finish the process in more that 6 minutes. Can you please check if there is any option to improve the raw2csv_2. To finish the job... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve script

Gents, Is there the possibility to improve this script to be able to have same output information. I did this script, but I believe there is a very short code to get same output here my script awk -F, '{if($10>0 && $10<=15) print $6}' tmp1 | sort -k1n | awk '{a++} END { for (n in a )... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
23 Replies
PPI::Statement::Variable(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       PPI::Statement::Variable(3)

NAME
PPI::Statement::Variable - Variable declaration statements SYNOPSIS
# All of the following are variable declarations my $foo = 1; my ($foo, $bar) = (1, 2); our $foo = 1; local $foo; local $foo = 1; LABEL: my $foo = 1; INHERITANCE
PPI::Statement::Variable isa PPI::Statement::Expression isa PPI::Statement isa PPI::Node isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
The main intent of the "PPI::Statement::Variable" class is to describe simple statements that explicitly declare new local or global variables. Note that this does not make it exclusively the only place where variables are defined, and later on you should expect that the "variables" method will migrate deeper down the tree to either PPI::Statement or PPI::Node to recognise this fact, but for now it stays here. METHODS
type The "type" method checks and returns the declaration type of the statement, which will be one of 'my', 'local', 'our', or 'state'. Returns a string of the type, or "undef" if the type cannot be detected (which is probably a bug). variables As for several other PDOM Element types that can declare variables, the "variables" method returns a list of the canonical forms of the variables defined by the statement. Returns a list of the canonical string forms of variables, or the null list if it is unable to find any variables. symbols Returns a list of the variables defined by the statement, as PPI::Token::Symbols. TO DO
- Write unit tests for this SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2011-02-26 PPI::Statement::Variable(3)