Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CPU performance
Operating Systems AIX CPU performance Post 302989415 by zaxxon on Thursday 12th of January 2017 07:15:24 AM
Old 01-12-2017
CIO also includes the benefits DIO - afaik with jfs2 you usually use CIO anyway, no DIO.

If I recall it correct, it is just mounting the relevant filesystems with the cio option and have the setting in the init.ora that agent.kgb described. Though take care that not all Oracle FS maybe used with CIO!

Taken from: Managing Oracle disk I/O in AIX
Quote:
The IBM documentation ?Configuring IBM System Storage DS4000 Series For Oracle Database Applications? (October 2015) notes special considerations for AIX blocksizes:

?When CIO is used, the POSIX standard filesystem level I/O serialization mechanisms are disabled, which avoids inode contention issues.

If planning to use JFS2 CIO, be sure to isolate online redo logs and control files in a separate file system that was created with agblksize=512.

File systems which contain Oracle data (.dbf) files should be created with agblksize=4096 if db_block_size >= 4K or agblksize=2048 if db_block_size=2K.

On CIO-mounted filesystems that contain datafiles, the database block size needs to be multiple of agblksize.

This is not something that customers need to worry about except if the database block size is 2KB, in which case you need to make sure agblksize is 2KB, 1KB or 512 bytes.?

As mentioned by the other guys, you might have a check applicationwise, maybe some queries cost a lot of resources, that an index is not optimal or table scans are done etc.

Check this one, page 3:
IBM Systems Mag: In tune with Oracle

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Performance Problem - High CPU utilization

Hello everybody. I have a problem with my AIX 5.3. Recently my unix shows a high cpu utilization with sar or topas. I need to find what I have to do to solve this problem, in fact, I don't know what is my problem. I had the same problem with another AIX 5.3 running the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilder.mellotto
2 Replies

2. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Announcing collectl - new performance linux performance monitor

About 4 years ago I wrote this tool inspired by Rob Urban's collect tool for DEC's Tru64 Unix. What makes this tool as different as collect was in its day is its ability to run at a low overhead and collect tons of stuff. I've expanded the general concept and even include data not available in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarkSeger
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

4. Solaris

In Solaris Zones Dedicated-Cpu Performance?

Hi All, While creating zone we will mention min and max cpu cores, like add dedicated-cpu set ncpus=NUM_CPUS_MIN-NUM_CPUS_MAX end Ques1: Suppose thing that non global zone uses only minimum cores at particular time What the other cores will do, Will it shared to global zone? Ques:2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Bad performance but Low CPU loading?

There might be some problem with my server, because every morning at 7, it's performance become bad with no DB extra deadlock. But I just couldn't figure it out. Please give me some advise, thanks a lot... According to the CPU performace chart, Daily CPU loading Maximum: 42 %, Average:36%. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GreenShery
8 Replies

6. SCO

CPU Performance Problems on VMWARE

hi We have migrated SCO 5.0.6 into ESX4, but the VM eats 100% of the virtual CPU. Here is top print from the SCO VM: last pid: 16773; load averages: 1.68, 1.25, 0.98 02:08:41 79 processes: 75 sleeping, 2 running, 1 zombie, 1 onproc CPU states: 0.0% idle, 17.0% user,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
7 Replies

7. HP-UX

Performance - CPU spiking

We have a DB server which is constantly utilised above 95% above. This is becoming nuisance when the monitoring team frequently calls to check on it. Frankly I do not know what to tweak or even interpret the outputs. I noticed constant 30 to 60% in wio column of the cpu utilisation. There... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sundar63
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX CPU performance script ?

I want to write a shell script which will print AIX CPU utilization memory utilization every 5 mins redirect to file. How do i do it? Please advise. Which commands I should use? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Understanding & Monitoring CPU performance (Load vs SAR)

Hi all, Been reading a lot of the cpu load and its "analogy of it to car traffic path of expressway" From wiki Most UNIX systems count only processes in the running (on CPU) or runnable (waiting for CPU) states. However, Linux also includes processes in uninterruptible sleep states... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
13 Replies
filecache_max(5)						File Formats Manual						  filecache_max(5)

NAME
filecache_max, filecache_min - maximum or minimum amount of physical memory used for caching file I/O data VALUES
Failsafe Default The defaults are computed and adjusted automatically, based on the amount physical memory on the system. The current default value, when displayed by will be expressed as the current value used internally by the system (representing bytes). The displayed value will vary as the internal value is automatically adjusted. Allowed values not less than the equivalent of 1 megabyte not less than the equivalent of 1 megabyte not greater than the equivalent of 70% of physical memory not greater than the equivalent of 90% of physical memory See below. Values can be specified as: 1) Default 2) A percentage of total physical memory: A positive whole number followed by a percent symbol (for example, 70%). 3) A constant value: A positive whole number that represents number of bytes of physical memory, optionally followed by a multiplier suffix, where and Recommended values It is recommended that these tunables are left in the automatic (default) state, to allow the system to better balance the memory usage among filesystem I/O-intensive processes and other types of processes. DESCRIPTION
These tunables control the amount of physical memory that can be used for caching file data during file system I/O operations. The amount of physical memory that is specified by the tunable is reserved and guaranteed to be available for file caching. The amount of physical memory used for file caching can grow beyond up to depending on I/O load and competing requests for physical memory. When these tunables are set to default, or set to a percent value, they automatically adjust with Online Addition or Deletion (OL*) of physical memory, as appropriate. Who Is Expected to Change These Tunables? The automatic (default) state should be appropriate for most environments. You must set these tunables to a constant value (not default or percent) if you want to specify file cache limits with finer granularity than percent of physical memory (for example, a minimum size or fixed size of <1% of physical memory). You must set these tunables to a constant value (not default or percent) if you do not want the limits of the file cache to adjust with OL* of physical memory. To discriminate in favor of deterministic I/O on systems with large file I/O activity, or on the contrary, to discriminate in favor of bet- ter performance of non-I/O-intensive processes, you can consider changing the values of these tunables, keeping in mind the side effects as described below. To determine a reasonable value for the cache size you should consider the file I/O-intensive applications on your system, and the size of their working set. Depending on the type of applications, the working set size can be based on the size of a transaction, or data size in given unit of time. For example, for a conservative value of in megabytes, you can use the following formula: number-of-records-in-working-set Only those processes that actively use disk I/O for file data should be included in the calculation. All others can be excluded. Here are some examples of what processes should be included in or excluded from the calculation. Include: NFS daemons, text formatters, database management applications, text editors, compilers, and so on, that access or use source and/or output files stored in one or more file systems mounted on the system. Exclude: X-display applications, login shells, system daemons, or connections, and so on. These processes use very little, if any, disk I/O for file data. Restrictions on Changing These tunables are dynamic and automatic. The system rounds the specified tunable value(s) down to the closest physical page boundary. The amount of physical memory represented by must be equal to or less than the memory represented by tunable Setting these tunables to a constant value will de-couple them from OL* events. Tuning up of the parameter may fail if there is not enough free physical memory to satisfy the request. These tunables, and must both be set to a relative state (either default of percent state), or must both be set to a constant value. For example, the following are acceptable settings: The following will result in an error: If is currently set to default, the following is acceptable: But the following will result in an error: See other restrictions in the section above. When Should the Value of These Tunables Be Raised? Low system performance at initialization time and/or on a system with filesystem I/O-intensive processes may be an indication that the val- ues of these tunables are too low. If there is a large number of processes actively and constantly using file data I/O, you should raise the value of for more deterministic I/O. In most cases, especially when the file data I/O is expected to peak only occasionally, it is recommended that the value of the maximum limit, is raised instead. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Values? The amount of memory reserved for the minimum file cache size, dictated by cannot be used on the system for other purposes. Be careful not to raise this value so high that it can eventually cause memory pressure and overall system performance degradation. When Should the Values of These Tunables Be Lowered? The value of the minimum limit, can be lowered to allow a larger percentage of memory to be used for purposes other than filesystem I/O caching, depending on competing requests. By lowering the value of a larger amount of memory is available for other purposes, without com- peting with file I/O requests. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Values? If there are many competing requests for physical memory, and the file cache tunables are set to too low a value, very high demand on file I/O operations can eventually cause filesystem I/O performance degradation. EXAMPLES
Set the file cache minimum to 10% of physical memory: Set a fixed size file cache of 1 gigabyte: Set the file cache minimum to 15% of physical memory, and the maximum to 65% of the physical memory: WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. These parameters may be removed or have their meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Other tunable parameters related to sizing the buffer cache that existed in previous HP-UX releases are now obsolete. The tunables and should be used to set limits to the file cache. Note that, on any given system, the optimum values of these two new tunables are not nec- essarily equivalent to the optimum values of the obsolete tunable values in the older systems. You should first determine if the new default values yield acceptable performance on your system, before attempting to change the values of the new file cache tunables. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2). Tunable Kernel Parameters filecache_max(5)