Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Removing characters from beginning of multiple files Post 302989144 by matrixmadhan on Monday 9th of January 2017 05:45:10 AM
Old 01-09-2017
I have added sample script for a single file, please change it to multiple files like

Code:
ls file*

Please give it a try and let us know if there are any problems.
This User Gave Thanks to matrixmadhan For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing M^ from multiple files

to do this i usually type dos2unix <file> -o <file> and this will remove the M^ from the end of each file. well i have over 100 files that someone copied that i need. how do i remove the M^. i saw a perl script but i am not familiar with .pl at all really (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing from beginning to first : using awk

A have a file npt02-sr40-syn-dc0p014-32x24drw.log:0. Best Value = 0.00144914 npt02-sr40-syn-dc0p014-32x24drw.log:1. Best Value = 0.00115706 npt02-sr40-syn-dc0p014-32x24drw.log:2. Best Value = 0.00094345 npt02-sr40-syn-dc0p014-32x24drw.log:3. Best Value = 0.000925552... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Lines Shared by Multiple Files

Hey everyone, I have a question about comparing two files. I have two lists of files. The first list, todo.csv, lists a series of compounds my supervisor wants me to perform calculations on. The second list, done.csv, lists a series of compounds that I have already performed calculations on.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuart Ness
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing one or more blank characters from beginning of a line

Hi, I was trying to remove the blank from beginning of a line. when I try: sed 's/^ +//' filename it does not work but when I try sed 's/^ *//' filename it works But I think the first command should have also replaced any line with one or more blanks. Kindly help me in understanding... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Multiple files with file name in the beginning of line

Hi, I have multiple files having many lines like as bvelow: file Name a.txt abc def def xyz 123 5678 file Name b.txt abc def def xyz 123 5678 I would like to append files in the below format to a new file: file Name c.txt (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing hyphen from beginning and end of a word only.

It is very simple to remove a hyphen from a word anywhere in that word using a simple sed command (sed -i 's/-//g' filename), but I am not able to figure out how to do this: For example, apple -orange tree pipe- banana-shake dupe- What my output should look like: apple orange tree... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Multiple Files by removing characters

Hi I would like to rename Multiple files in a Unix Directory using Ksh Command. Eg ATT8-2011-10-01 00:00:00-MSA-IMM-SINGLE_AND_FAMILY_COVERAGE-DED-$2000-X114817.PDF needs to be renamed as ATT8-2011-10-01-MSA-IMM-SINGLE_AND_FAMILY_COVERAGE-DED-$2000-X114817.PDF Basically the time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns from multiple lines in multiple files of different number of columns

Hello Gurus, I have a multiple pipe separated files which have records going over multiple Lines. End of line separator is \n and records going over multiple lines have <CR> as separator. below is example from one file. 1|ABC DEF|100|10 2|PQ RS T|200|20 3| UVWXYZ|300|30 4| GHIJKL|400|40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a ? from multiple files

Hi all, I have about 1.8 million files in a directory structre, that contain a ? on the end, for example: /testdocs/1/mar/08/08/images/user/{1234-1234-1234-1234}0? Is there a way to go through the testdocs folder, recursively, and remove the ? from all docs that have one on the end? ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirmUK
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting text on multiple lines, then removing a beginning and end patterns

I have a file similar to the below. I am selecting only the paragraphs with @inlineifset. I am using the following command sed '/@inlineifset/,/^ *$/!d; s/@inlineifset{mrg, @btpar{@//' $flnm >> $ofln This produces @section Correlations between seismograms,,,,}} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danette
5 Replies
XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)

NAME
xclip-copyfile, xclip-cutfile, xclip-pastefile - copy and move files via the X clipboard SYNOPSIS
xclip-copyfile [-p] FILES... xclip-cutfile [-p] FILES... xclip-pastefile DESCRIPTION
xclip-copyfile copies files into the X clipboard, recursing into directories. xclip-cutfile copies the files, but also deletes them afterwards. -p preserve path formation xclip-pastefile pastes the files out of the clipboard EXAMPLES
Copying a file to a remote host [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ echo "A file created on ${HOSTNAME}" > file1 [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ cat file1 A file created on maggie.lkpg.cendio.se Copying an entire tree structure [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-copyfile doc [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile doc/ doc/letter-mom-april.txt doc/file1 doc/letter-dad-march.txt Copying files with preserved path information [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile -p /etc/sysconfig/grub tar: Removing leading `/' from member names [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile etc/sysconfig/grub [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ ls etc/sysconfig/grub etc/sysconfig/grub Moving files [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-cutfile letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt ls: cannot access letter-brother-may.txt: No such file or directory [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ cd doc [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile letter-brother-may.txt AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Maximilian Gass <mxey@cloudconnected.org> for the Debian project. It may be used for everything else, of course. XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)